Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you want the Redskins to draft RG3? Why or why not?

Taylor 36

I know there are a million RG3 threads out there right now, but I thought this question merited its own thread. If not, Mods, I apologize and ask that you take mercy on my poor soul.

In the many different threads that are out there right now, I have read some interesting, baffling, and crazy stuff: people not wanting RG3 on the roster anymore, people wanting to change our entire offensive scheme now, etc.

It got me wondering why people were so happy when RG3 was drafted in the first place. Let's face it, this board was hysterical with excitement when it was announced that we moved up to the second spot in the draft, never mind on draft night when the pick was officially announced. Most members of this board, not all I grant you, but the vast majority of this board wanted RG3 more than Luck. There had to be a reason why people wanted RG3 so much.

So I am asking, what was your reason for wanting RG3 to be the QB for the Washington Redskins? If you didn't want him, what were your hang-ups on him? What, if anything, about your thoughts on him as a player have changed since last Spring?

I don't want this to be a Negative Nancy thread, if anything, I'm hoping that by remembering and discussing our excitement from last March/April, some of us might be able to clear our heads of all of the doom and gloom and focus on brighter days to come.

I'll start:

I was excited about RG3 being the Redskins' QB because of how dynamic he is as a player. His speed, agility, accuracy, deep ball, and intelligence all made him the coveted player he was/is. We had needed a franchise QB for decades, and not only did it appear we were going to get one, but we were going to get possibly one of the greatest to ever play. He was going to make games exciting, must see, even for non-Skins fans. I felt he was going to make us a legitimate contender. With all that said, I still believe every bit of it! :)

Yes he was number 1 on my list! QB was number one on everybody's list but I liked RG3 from the first time I got to see him play. I know Andrew Luck was a good prospect but I never was in awe of anything he did, although he was very good at what he does. I know some of us said we would be happy if we had Andrew or Robert before the draft. I wasn't one of them guys then and I am still not one of them guys, I was RG3 or bust. He was so fun to watch and with the NFL getting more and more mobile QB's it just seemed right. Keep in mind we had just watched the incredible numbers Cam Newton put up before. I had never heard Robert speak publicly until the Heisman and then he grew on me even more and I knew if we could get him that we would have something special. Well let's just say RG3 delivered, he was everything I wanted to see and then some. He made the Redskins into something we were proud to watch and not be negative about week in and week out. We have a very unique guy on our team and I am proud of it and I can't wait till he can get back on the field.

I, initially wanted Luck *GASP*. I thought him to be more NFL ready. The more film I watched on Rob, the more man love I had for him. The threads in here and my film study changed my mind. I had knots in my stomach watching the draft because I was almost sure that the Colts would take Griff. (regardless of rumors that he had signed the week prior or something like that). When they drafted Luck I was jumping around, my wife thought I had dropped coffee on my lap. The we heard it, "With the second pick in the 2012 draft the Washington Redskins select...." THE NFC EAST CHAMPIONSHIP BABY!!!!!!!!

Yes I wanted him more than Luck.. I thought he totally fit the kind of mobile QB for Washington to become a contender.

A pure pocket passer would have needed a bit better O-line I think. Although both QB's seem to turn just about any receiver into a quality receiver I still think RGIII did more with less.

Although I was unaware of the Pistol and read option coming into play..the Shanahans did a great job with utilizing his skill set also.

Now a stingy defense would be great!

I wanted Luck before the 2011 draft, but thought the Panthers might get him. I wanted Luck before the 2012 season, but the more I read the QB threads and watched as the Colts tanked, I knew we wouldn't get him. So, I turned my attention to the others. Originally I thought maybe Landry Jones or Matt Barkley might be an option, but the more I saw how others felt, by December of 2012, I was on the Griffin bandwagon.

I wanted Robert from the first time I watched film on him. I liked the fire and determination I saw in those films. Then I got to hear interview after interview with the young man, and that did nothing but further my desire to see him on our roster. Am I still behind him 100% you bet your *** I am. Can't wait to see him back on the field when ever that may be.

I initially wanted Luck, but I knew that wasn't an option. RG3 screamed to much like Vick for my tastes, but thankfully I was proven dead wrong. RG3 even is one of those high character guys that Gibbs always gushed about. And Humble, nothing like Vick.

Absolutely.

1) my wife's a Baylor grad

2) in 2010 we moved to 15 minutes south of Waco with one of our intentions being to be closer to Baylor athletic events, and

3) and I'm a lifelong Redskins fan.

With the exception of the events of the last few days encompassing his injury, his 2011 Baylor campaign, through the draft, through is rookie campaign has been a dream come true. It's been rather insane really.

So yes, I definitely wanted us to draft the guy.

Absolutely. I actually preferred him to Luck. I loved his natural talent both running and passing mixed with his seemingly high football intelligence and leadership ability. I felt that he was Mike Vick in a superior decision making and throwing package....a package that I felt could significantly be a game changer and prevent an extremely difficult offense to defend. Combined with his outsanding intangables, great personality, and upstanding attitude I felt that he would be a perfect flag carrier to handle being the face of a franchise this rabid, this critical, and this hungry.

And I still think all those things.

I hate west coast offenses, hate watching them.

Nothing more boring to me than to watch Peyton Manning play football other than when he plays Tom Brady. Boring as ****.

I'm sure we would have all been happy with Luck but RG3 is an opportunity to see and indirectly be a part of something special.

Something legitimately exciting, fun and different.

If we had our choice of any QB going into the draft, then I think I still would have leaned slightly to Luck. I just thought he was the safer pick. I was proven wrong pretty quickly as I believe Griffin played much better than he did over the course of their rookie seasons.

Knowing that we were picking no higher than 2nd and that Luck was guaranteed to go 1st, I wanted Griffin because he seemed incredibly unique...great QB with world class speed.

I was excited to get RG3 because we haven't had a franchise quarterback in decades.

I thought we spent too much to move up in the draft though.

The only thing that has changed is I no longer think we spent too much.

Assuming he makes a full recovery and is able to continue to play football at a high level.

if 80% speed he would go from 4.3 to 5.1.

Actually a 40 yard time of less than... oh I don't know 3.8 (because I think 3.9 is the fastest ever recorded in the world by like an olympic sprinter, BO JAX once recorded a 4.19 or something) is physically impossible, so you can't really just add 20% of a time like that haha. But nice try.

Archived