Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you want the Redskins to draft RG3? Why or why not?

Taylor 36

Matt Ryan was the third pick in the draft.

My mistake, for some reason I was thinking of Wilson. You're right; Ryan is a good example of a high draft pick turning into a legit franchise QB. Notice that they didn't trade the house away to move up four draft spots; they simply used the pick they had.

Nevertheless, that isn't the only way to get a franchise QB and there are plenty of teams with homegrown franchise QBs drafted in later rounds.

If you look at the three franchise QBs left in the playoffs right now, none of them were drafted in the first round. So it's entirely possible to get a franchise QB without trading your future away.

Ironically, the fourth QB, Joe Flacco, was drafted in the first round (18th overall), but he's nothing special.

And to be fair, when you have as much talent as the 49ers then you don't need that top qb. Kaepernick has been awesome, but he's surrounded by 5 young, elite players on offense, all 1st rounders. Not to mention their former qb was a 1st rounder, but basically that is half a decade worth of first round picks, who all panned out, helping him out. Do you think Kaep looks as good as rg3 on our team? I don't. I'm not saying our talent level on offense is poor, in truth we just need an average RT and we have a very solid offense all throughout, but we don't have near the talent that San Fran does on O.

but do you realize what we did this year? We literally got a QB that will win games on his own no matter what is around him now. We won 10 games with a bad offensive line, no possession receiver, a bottom 5 defense? The other teams left are better overall teams and won 1 or 2 games more than a rookie QB

That's a load of crap. Our O-line played excellent this year (not just the QB play elevating the line). Our "bottom 5 defense" didn't play like that during that stretch, and we have pretty decent (not amazing) receivers). RG3 definitely made a difference, but to suggest he had nothing around him, is total BS.

If you look at the three franchise QBs left in the playoffs right now, none of them were drafted in the first round. So it's entirely possible to get a franchise QB without trading your future away.

Th

Ironically, the fourth QB, Joe Flacco, was drafted in the first round (18th overall), but he's nothing special.

The only qbs of the four teams left in playoffs that were not drafted in the first round were Kaepernick and Brady. Both Flacco and Ryan were drafted in the first round of the 2008 draft. Numbers 18 and 3 respectively.

I watched a lot of Baylor games and I loved his style during his soph and senior years. He was incredible and always threw amazing deep passes. He seemed smart, accurate, and was lightening fast. He just seemed like a leader and as I Found out more about his background I wanted him more. The night it was announced that the skins traded up to draft him I was really happy/excited. I stayed out late with my girl and celebrated :) I hope his knee heals completely because he changed everything here. He's the real deal.

Given I totally opened myself up in a highly controversial thread after Becks first start in the Carolina debacle from 2011, wanting us to lose out the remaining 10 games from the 3-3 that loss dropped our record to, to put ourselves in the best possible position to bag Luck or Griffin, I'd say yes, I kinda' did want us to draft one of those two uniquely talented individuals at ANY cost. :cool:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?357112-GHH-laid-totally-bare-with-his-fanhood-on-the-line-Why-it-s-best-for-our-team-to-lose-out-the-rest-of-the-2011-season.

And I still stand by the justification behind that thread. The proof has certainly been in the pudding which would of been sadly lost for all had many within that thread gotten their way that you 'play to win the game. PERIOD!'

Hail.

Matt Ryan says "Hi".

Edit. Sorry to pile on, I see later posters also pointed this out!

That's a load of crap. Our O-line played excellent this year (not just the QB play elevating the line). Our "bottom 5 defense" didn't play like that during that stretch, and we have pretty decent (not amazing) receivers). RG3 definitely made a difference, but to suggest he had nothing around him, is total BS.

thats the impact of RG3. that oline would not have played that well without him. The defense was getting burned early and still was late in the season but the offense bailed them out and put tremendous pressure on the other offense to keep up

Short answer....... HELL YES!!!

I wanted RGIII more than Luck but would've been happy either way. Truthfully I think RGIII is a once in a generation player. The prototype for the new breed of QB. Now if he can just stay healthy......

Folks, wanted to start a thread on this subject but, decided to post here.

The league will figure out how to tame the talents of RG3 and other q.b.'s alike. Just like they tamed the wild cat, they will figure out how to limit the production of the new breed q.b. So in stating, it would be advisable for Shanny and company to already begin to devise another unique offense utilizing RG's talent to totally suprise the league next season. Otherwise there will be those who will point to Luck and declare he was the better choice beacuse of "his traditional talents and ability to remain in the poscket and decision making skills"...Just saying

When my brother first told me of the trade, my immediate reaction was "Ouch, 2 1sts and a 2nd to move up 4 places seems a bit steep, I just hope he is worth it".

To be instrumental in going worst to first in one year, after 4 consecutive worsts too, the answer has to be "hell yeah, he was worth it". Assuming he comes back as good as before (or at least approaching it), we are looking at being extremely competitive for the next few years, even without the lost draft picks.

What would plan B have been if we didn't make the move? Start Cousins from the outset perhaps? Easy now to say Wilson, and if we have have done that, I'm sure we would all still be very happy. But we don't have such great hindsight. With Plan B with a lesser QB plus draft picks, I don't see us being in the healthy position we are now. By that statement alone, I think it was well worth it.

No, I did not. I thought he would probably not be as good as he turned out to be, and furthermore I thought that even if he was great, the best possible case scenario was that he played just well enough to justify the three first round picks and one second round pick we spent on him. I still think that spending what we did on RG3 was the equivalent of buying a $5 ticket to a lottery where the top prize is $6.

Even though RG3 played lights out for most of his first 13 games, he is now, thanks to Shanny and Danny, worth less than what we paid for him. What NFL GM would trade so many high picks for a QB who has had his knee repaired twice in three years? No matter how explosive he is, you simply can't count on him lasting long enough to justify that price.

Notice that Kaepernick and Wilson, who are not as good as RG3 but are pretty close (and, unlike him, have playoff wins), were 36th and 75th picks, respectively.

He had it repaired once when we drafted him. I'm so glad that you chimed in on this thread with your prognostigation of how Griffin's career is going to turn out. Please send me the next powerball numbers. And to be fair, Kaepernick is in his 2nd season and has had the ability to sit on the sidelines for a year and learn without being "the man" on a team that was one game away from the SB the year before.

Short answer. No.

There is a flaw to RG3's game that is obvious when you compare his style to RWilson and JManziel.

He doesn't have the same "quick" instincts to avoid pressure (escape) and turn a non-play into a long gainer.

Yes, RG3 is "track fast" and gutsy, and has a decent arm ... but when he is flushed he often runs around and flounders somewhat ... he seems to lack the consistent "Houdini" skills and decisiveness of the other QBs.

Over time, my gut is that Cousins will turn out to be the better QB, let alone Wilson and Johnny Football.

He had it repaired once when we drafted him.

And now he's had it repaired twice. At 22. What's the over-under on his age at his third knee operation, 24?

I'm so glad that you chimed in on this thread with your prognostigation of how Griffin's career is going to turn out. Please send me the next powerball numbers.

No one knows for sure how his career is going to turn out (duh). But if you think a rookie QB who has had already major knee surgery twice is likely to have a long NFL career that justifies the three 1st and one 2nd round picks... well, let's just say you are a good candidate for "investing" in powerball tickets.

Robert is who I wanted. I seen him in the Baylor vs TCU and thought..if we had this kid. I just never dreamed we would get him. Yes, he is worth it and lets all pray for him to get better. He is a good person too, love the guy. To see how him and Morris have done, very good times ahead. HTTR! It's like Gibbs would say..the kid fights his guts out. LOL

And now he's had it repaired twice. At 22. What's the over-under on his age at his third knee operation, 24?

No one knows for sure how his career is going to turn out (duh). But if you think a rookie QB who has had already major knee surgery twice is likely to have a long NFL career that justifies the three 1st and one 2nd round picks... well, let's just say you are a good candidate for "investing" in powerball tickets.

I was just pointing out that your post was incorrect when you said we drafted a QB who had already "had" 2 knee surgeries.

Listen, why does everyone think this is a death sentence. This isn't 1968 when things like this (Gale Sayers) would ruin a guy's career. Tell me ONE player within the last 10 years that had his career ruined with multiple knee injuries? Really, just one. Willis McGahee's knee was destroyed and he's had a great career, has now injured the other knee, but no one has said his career is over at 31 and he's a RB.

You all need to step off the godamn ledge for a minute and take a breath. Jeez Louise what bunch of godamn babies in here.

Was strongly against it. I didn't even want him if we could of taken him at 6.

I just don't think running qbs will survive in this league, especially an undersized running QB.

He's not a running QB, but it's nice to know which fans pay more attention the mediots than to their own team.
I was just pointing out that your post was incorrect when you said we drafted a QB who had already "had" 2 knee surgeries.

Listen, why does everyone think this is a death sentence. This isn't 1968 when things like this (Gale Sayers) would ruin a guy's career. Tell me ONE player within the last 10 years that had his career ruined with multiple knee injuries? Really, just one. Willis McGahee's knee was destroyed and he's had a great career, has now injured the other knee, but no one has said his career is over at 31 and he's a RB.

Thank you!!!

i was torn. I knew we needed a QB but i would of rather had Luck. A true pocket passer, i'm not a fan of mobile QBs because they always get hurt and RG3 is tiny. Exciting to watch? yes. But scared he will never finish a complete season and also that knee worries me...

If 6'2, 220 is tiny, then Rodgers, Dalton, Romo sits to pee, Wilson and Brees should all retire.

Archived