Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you want the Redskins to draft RG3? Why or why not?

Taylor 36

I'll be honest I started watching a few baylor games when I heard WVU might be moving to the Big-12. And the first time I saw RGIII I was like man, I'd love to draft that guy since Luck will be gone. I never thought we'd find a way to do it though

If 6'2, 220 is tiny, then Rodgers, Dalton, Romo sits to pee, Wilson and Brees should all retire.

It's almost no point in talking to people, man, that's what I've realized.

"Running QBs don't survive" unless somehow it's Luck running for yards and getting hit a million times in the pocket? Not to mention running on a scramble is what did this and it was a freak hit. I think even the concussion people overblow, it is the Ngata hit that ended our season prematurely.

And if you see Griffin in his suit or warm up gear, it's pretty clear he's a big dude, he's lean so he probably has less fat than other guys but take a look at his legs, they are actually far from skinny.

I think as football fans, we're so used to seeing guys who have a bit more body fat (on top of a lot of muscle) that someone looks "small" even if they would clearly dwarf most people and would look more impressive without all the pads, etc. Or maybe he has size well-distributed, whereas some guys look big but have chicken legs or something to that effect.

We're going to have to start developing that or Born In 93 is going to be sadly correct.

I don't disagree that I think we'd be much better suited for the future if we gameplanned RG3 the same way we did Cousins in the Browns game, with a lot of rollouts but not very many designed runs. I have no doubt in my mind that he could do it and do it at an insanely high level.

That being said, I just hate when people label him as a "running" QB. The guy set a rookie record for passer rating in a season with a suspect offensive line and missing his best WR for most of the year. He can sling the ball with the best of them.

I don't disagree that I think we'd be much better suited for the future if we gameplanned RG3 the same way we did Cousins in the Browns game, with a lot of rollouts but not very many designed runs. I have no doubt in my mind that he could do it and do it at an insanely high level.

That being said, I just hate when people label him as a "running" QB. The guy set a rookie record for passer rating in a season with a suspect offensive line and missing his best WR for most of the year. He can sling the ball with the best of them.

I agree. We have seen him do it all at certain points, so the issue of can he is not in question. He is only a "running" QB because that is the current scheme. This year he was a running qb, who passed sideways and one-read quick, short passes. It worked so they didn't mess with it. I do believe his passer rating and completion percentages are inflated due to the type of passing he was asked to do. He did it well, but they were high percentage passes and easy reads. If a basketball player shoots only layups, he will look like a very accurate shooter on the stats page. If he were asked to do what Luck was asked, he certainly would have had more yards and touchdowns but his gawdy percentages would have dropped, I'm sure.

My mistake, for some reason I was thinking of Wilson. You're right; Ryan is a good example of a high draft pick turning into a legit franchise QB. Notice that they didn't trade the house away to move up four draft spots; they simply used the pick they had.

Nevertheless, that isn't the only way to get a franchise QB and there are plenty of teams with homegrown franchise QBs drafted in later rounds.

I'm with you. It will be awhile before I can get over selling half the house for one player, especially seeing what other QBs that were not bought at such a high price, are doing. Add the huge liability and loss if he gets seriously hurt and can not play for some time. I was against this at the start and still am. Question, would we have had a chance at Wilson before Seattle?

I am not saying we would have just as good a chance with the QB's we have had but they would have a better team around them if they were playing if we couldnt have got a qb this season. Just saying.

Ugh. Can someone please explain to me how giving up three draft picks, when we still have more than 21 picks in the next 3 years AND have drafted more players in the last two years than any team in the NFL, over the course of an entire NFL career is "selling the house"???

And no, I do NOT care how high those picks are. The NFL, more than any other sport, has shown that where a player is drafted does not necessarily determine the trajectory of his career. The hardest positions to find outside of round 1 are QB, LT, pass rusher. We have all of those things.

Ugh. Can someone please explain to me how giving up three draft picks, when we still have more than 21 picks in the next 3 years AND have drafted more players in the last two years than any team in the NFL, over the course of an entire NFL career is "selling the house"???

And no, I do NOT care how high those picks are. The NFL, more than any other sport, has shown that where a player is drafted does not necessarily determine the trajectory of his career. The hardest positions to find outside of round 1 are QB, LT, pass rusher. We have all of those things.

our qb, lt, and pass rushers are all impact players, very possibly the best players on our team, and they were all chosen high in the first round. so basically, our odds of adding impact players elsewhere are slim in the next couple years.

in hindsight it looks as though we did not "sell the house", because rg3 proved to be legitimate. that is not always the case though.

our qb, lt, and pass rushers are all impact players, very possibly the best players on our team, and they were all chosen high in the first round. so basically, our odds of adding impact players elsewhere are slim in the next couple years.

in hindsight it looks as though we did not "sell the house", because rg3 proved to be legitimate. that is not always the case though.

I think you misunderstood my point. What I said was, the positions that you NEED first round picks for are already filled on this team, therefore losing first rounders for the next two years would not cripple the team as much as if we did not have those players to begin with.

It's much easier to find impact players outside of those positions in rounds 2-7. Look at teams with elite QBs, and look at where their receivers come from. Rodgers has pretty much all second round picks he's playing with. Brees has late rounders. Ben has a third rounder and a couple late rounders, with Heath Miller being his lone first round receiving option. Brandon Marshall was a third rounder. The list goes on.

The idea that the trade crippled our ability to build a team around RG3 is short-sighted at best and idiotic/ignorant at worst.

Absolutely, Completely, He was Vick with out the baggage and with disipline. He is a "REAL" and special person both physically and in the heart.No he is not perfect no one is.But if they can continue to build up this team around him and protect him. He and (THEY) will make much more than noise,oline was good lets make it stronger bigger and still fast. another back or two to augment Mr. Morris. He was the right pick and it wasnt too high a price.We just have to follow through and get him the protection, the help, the talent and the Defense to help him take it over the top. if they can work the contracts this year then they could surprise everyone this year.if not then just take the best and most sure steps you can this year and next year they can goo deep and often to fill the spots. But wisely, just cause you can doesn't mean you should. chemistry over name everytime.HTTR

I was not in favor of drafting him due to questions about his durability in the pro game, small hands, poor 3rd down conversion in college in obvious passing downs. That said, having watched him this season it is obvious he is a special talent and natural leader. I wil be interested to see how the offense changes (due to the knee injury or NFL defenses catching up with the offense). I hope he continues to take the team to the next level and not turn into RG 3 and out.

Archived