Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Can't see us going Lynch after this draft, nor Jammer as we have so many DB bodies now to choose from we should be alright there. Hopefully we can use it on the draft picks and IR, PS and find a gem for ILB and/or OT/OL in the UDFA guys we signed.

What about dansby? Or some other ilb?wasnt addressed in draft and not much depth on roster with Zo gone.

What about dansby? Or some other ilb?wasnt addressed in draft and not much depth on roster with Zo gone.

We did pick up Tapp already, who excels on teams.

I don't even remember if there are any WRs worth grabbing out there.

Jammer, Lynch maybe? Winston would make it move though...

Winston maybe but I really doubt we'd look at Jammer or Lynch now. I think the reason we looked at Jammer and Lynch (though I never saw confirmation, just a few third-party tweets) is to see if we could ignore DB in the draft. Either our needs and BPA matched when we picked or we decided that Jammer was not even a short-term answer.

Winston maybe but I really doubt we'd look at Jammer or Lynch now. I think the reason we looked at Jammer and Lynch (though I never saw confirmation, just a few third-party tweets) is to see if we could ignore DB in the draft. Either our needs and BPA matched when we picked or we decided that Jammer was not even a short-term answer.

I still think Lynch would be a quality signing for depth at FS and in case Rambo/Thomas just aret ready to go. BM could be hurt which would demand Thomas at SS (where he would be anyway IMO) and then you're putting all your hope in Rambo at FS. Lynch seems like a smart move.

Also Winston has a very small market. Regardless of what was said yesterday by MS for the right price (and it's gotta be closer now than it was before) I could see us bringing Winston in. I'm all for building young starters through draft but if you can address a major weakness with a top player at their position for the right price who still has several good years left, you have to do it.

Folk are still pushing for a vet. Safety after the last few days?

I hope Thomas and Rambo are out there ASAP learning and growing together.

Hail.

I still think we need a vet starting FS. By looking through the last 3-4 drafts is very rare to find a starting quality safety after the beginning of round 2. I think we would be really lucky to have one of these two guys turn into an average to above average starter down the road. I feel we shouldn't be counting on either of them to be more than a special teams/backup quality player this year.

I don't think the extra cap space implies anything about us signing someone. By the time the season rolls around all 53 players will count against the cap. You can't go into the season with just a couple hundred thousand in cap space - you need some extra in case you have to sign someone. Wilson is almost the last logical person on our roster to restructure his contract, if you will. I don't see Garcon or Trent Williams taking paycuts - unlike several others, they've earned every penny of their contracts. Orakpo is unlikely to sign an extension at the moment because he's at his lowest value right now. I think I've read that Cofield is kind of a hard restructure candidate as well.

I think with this extra money, by the time the season comes around and all 53 players count against the cap, we'll be around $1 million in cap space and that may be the plan. Winston would be awesome to have and while I won't rule it out, I do not think this move was done specifically with that idea in mind.

I'm fine with Thomas and Rambo starting as soon as possible as well.

Meriweather can play corner in a pinch if need be as well. Having these kind of ball hawks in a secondary... there are several types of packages that we can use now... I can't wait.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 10:05 AM ----------

Here is a look at what's still on the heap (according to walterfootball.com):

I'd take Barden. But I'm almost sure he's re-signed by now. Not sure how updated this list is.

Brandon Lloyd, Patriots. Age: 32.

Michael Spurlock, WR/KR, Chargers. Age: 30.

Laurent Robinson, WR, Jaguars. Age: 28.

Joshua Cribbs, KR, Browns. Age: 30.

Ramses Barden, WR, Giants. Age: 27.

Steve Breaston, WR, Chiefs. Age: 30.

Brandon Stokley, WR, Broncos. Age: 37.

Braylon Edwards, WR, Jets. Age: 30.

Seyi Ajirotutu (RFA), WR, Chargers. Age: 26.

Sammie Stroughter, WR, Buccaneers. Age: 27.

Chaz Schilens, WR, Jets. Age: 27.

Early Doucet, WR, Cardinals. Age: 27.

Devery Henderson, WR, Saints. Age: 31.

Derek Hagan, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.

Austin Collie, WR, Colts. Age: 27.

I'm fine with Thomas and Rambo starting as soon as possible as well.

Meriweather can play corner in a pinch if need be as well. Having these kind of ball hawks in a secondary... there are several types of packages that we can use now... I can't wait.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 10:05 AM ----------

Here is a look at what's still on the heap (according to walterfootball.com):

I'd take Barden. But I'm almost sure he's re-signed by now. Not sure how updated this list is.

Brandon Lloyd, Patriots. Age: 32.

Michael Spurlock, WR/KR, Chargers. Age: 30.

Laurent Robinson, WR, Jaguars. Age: 28.

Joshua Cribbs, KR, Browns. Age: 30.

Ramses Barden, WR, Giants. Age: 27.

Steve Breaston, WR, Chiefs. Age: 30.

Brandon Stokley, WR, Broncos. Age: 37.

Braylon Edwards, WR, Jets. Age: 30.

Seyi Ajirotutu (RFA), WR, Chargers. Age: 26.

Sammie Stroughter, WR, Buccaneers. Age: 27.

Chaz Schilens, WR, Jets. Age: 27.

Early Doucet, WR, Cardinals. Age: 27.

Devery Henderson, WR, Saints. Age: 31.

Derek Hagan, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.

Austin Collie, WR, Colts. Age: 27.

Yeah that is a pretty ugly list. I'd take Barden on the cheap just to see what he could do but it looks like we are going to wait until next year to address the future of our WR corps

I still think Lynch would be a quality signing for depth at FS and in case Rambo/Thomas just aret ready to go. BM could be hurt which would demand Thomas at SS (where he would be anyway IMO) and then you're putting all your hope in Rambo at FS. Lynch seems like a smart move.

Also Winston has a very small market. Regardless of what was said yesterday by MS for the right price (and it's gotta be closer now than it was before) I could see us bringing Winston in. I'm all for building young starters through draft but if you can address a major weakness with a top player at their position for the right price who still has several good years left, you have to do it.

Of the DBs signed or just drafted, 4 will not even make it to TC now so any DB signed now will increase that number. You don't sign someone like Jammer to be an OTA body. If the 3 DBs drafted were even worth drafting, all will at least get to TC. If BM is still an issue, you have to find 3 to cut before TC as of now. We also need about 3M clear going into the season. So while we need just 200K to sign our rookies, all 53 on the roster hit the cap come season and you need cap space to deal with miscellaneous issues through the season plus a buffer so you can make a move during the season if the opportunity arises.

Just don't see it. We're bringing in tons of UDFA OT's and Shanahan said we solved our "depth needs" at the position in FA already, meaning the starter's on the roster.

Yeah and I'd be happy enough to move forward with what we have for now to be honest.

Winston would be a solid addition, but i must confess I did post that having sunk one too many beers. That is my excuse for making the absurd statement that he 'would be heaven right now'..:ols:

Yeah and I'd be happy enough to move forward with what we have for now to be honest.

Winston would be a solid addition' date=' but i must confess I did post that having sunk one too many beers. That is my excuse for making the absurd statement that he 'would be heaven right now'..:ols:[/quote']

And I thought that was one of you're more lucid moments '74 and I can understand you. :pfft:

Heck knows how our American friends cope ..... :silly:

HAil.

Here's the question:

Why don't want teams want the guy?

He has some injury issues but he was a stud in Houston, but it took him forever to get signed by the Chiefs.

He went to Kansas City and really produced. But they let him go anyway.

Is the ZBS falling out of vogue or something? And even then, he should at least be a quality pass blocker.

It may be that the teams that really need him are rebuilding.

Also, I wouldn't rule it out for us entirely. After all, we supposedly took Baccari Rambo off our board. Let's face it, the Shanahans will lie through their teeth when it comes to player acquisition to get a leg up on the rest of the league, and they'll make a move out of the blue with no warning. Not saying that this is the case here, but it's not completely out of the question.

I believe they are counting on one of these safeties to start for sure.

From the press conference:

On Thomas being able to compete for a starting job:

“I think that’s what you expect and what you’re hoping for. It doesn’t always happen that way. If they can’t start you hope that eventually they are ready or can help out on special teams. But, some guys can pick things up fairly quickly. I think for a guy like Phillip Thomas it’ll be a little bit easier because he ran a very similar system to what we have. But you never know for sure until they get out here and start working out. But, we feel good with the guy we signed.”

Just don't see it. We're bringing in tons of UDFA OT's and Shanahan said we solved our "depth needs" at the position in FA already, meaning the starter's on the roster.

I don't trust anything he says in public though.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 11:54 AM ----------

I agree with all of this. And I don't think they have a young starter at RT on the roster. Otherwise, they wouldn't have felt they needed to get both Trueblood and Pashos. I can't imagine they think Polumbus, Trueblood, and Pashos is better than Winston and Polumbus. If Winston's price comes back to earth, that's certainly a move I would make. But perhaps, with such limited cap space, they need breathing room that Winston would eat up.

I'd still like Lynch, but at this point he's probably redundant. Thomas and Rambo are both going to get a shot at FS throughout camp. Having Lynch there as insurance would be nice, but we can only keep so many guys.

I think Meriweather, Thomas, and Rambo make the roster, so we've got to deal with Bernstine, Doughty, Gomes, Holland, Pugh, and Jackson. I'd like to see Bernstine and Doughty retained, Pugh and Holland are probably future cuts, and Gomes is fighting for a spot.

So that's potentially five guys right there, so adding Lynch either means we're keeping 6 (doubtful, we had 6 on the roster last year, but only because Jackson was about to get suspended, then went to 5), or someone gets bumped.

I think Lynch was the backup plan, but we got close to the ideal situation out of the draft, so Plan A stands and Plan B is not needed.

Here's the question:

Why don't want teams want the guy?

He has some injury issues but he was a stud in Houston, but it took him forever to get signed by the Chiefs.

He went to Kansas City and really produced. But they let him go anyway.

Is the ZBS falling out of vogue or something? And even then, he should at least be a quality pass blocker.

It may be that the teams that really need him are rebuilding.

Also, I wouldn't rule it out for us entirely. After all, we supposedly took Baccari Rambo off our board. Let's face it, the Shanahans will lie through their teeth when it comes to player acquisition to get a leg up on the rest of the league, and they'll make a move out of the blue with no warning. Not saying that this is the case here, but it's not completely out of the question.

It's could be what Charles Davis and Mike Mayock harped on during the draft. Teams don't like linemen who are "Right Tackle Only."

Basically the thought is that teams will only activate 7 linemen now. Five starters and then two swing spots. Because of that, every lineman should be able to play multiple spots. Any left tackle can play right tackle pretty much, it's basically an easier version of the position he already plays. And any guard can play either guard spot to varying levels of success, and a lot can play center too. Most centers can play guard as well since it's easier, though some are too small (and they are a dying breed). But not any right tackle can play left tackle, and not any right tackle can play guard.

That's probably the reason Oday Aboushi and Ricky Wagner fell so far in the draft too.

So, how about Chris Kluwe? People up here are getting sick of him, and they just drafted a punter. He has slightly better numbers than Rocca and is 8 years younger.

I was perplexed by the pick myself.

Can Kluwe kickoff?

Archived