Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

I prefer the punting ability to the tackling ability. Hated Derek Frost. The Skins have been among the worst in punting for a long, long time.

I was joking about the tackling - but I don't think Rocca is going anywhere this year at least.

It's could be what Charles Davis and Mike Mayock harped on during the draft. Teams don't like linemen who are "Right Tackle Only."

Basically the thought is that teams will only activate 7 linemen now. Five starters and then two swing spots. Because of that, every lineman should be able to play multiple spots. Any left tackle can play right tackle pretty much, it's basically an easier version of the position he already plays. And any guard can play either guard spot to varying levels of success, and a lot can play center too. Most centers can play guard as well since it's easier, though some are too small (and they are a dying breed). But not any right tackle can play left tackle, and not any right tackle can play guard.

That's probably the reason Oday Aboushi and Ricky Wagner fell so far in the draft too.

But I think it's less of an issue if you're a starter. Teams don't like "right tackle only" types as backups, but it's less of an issue if you're the starting right tackle. I think the only way it really becomes a problem is if Winston were to lose his job for ineffectiveness. Then you've got a backup with not versatility.

Think we should give our rookies a chance and then if you have a weakness do free agent pickups or trades from the cuts made by the teams meeting roster limits.

Keep team young and competitive.Bye week is #4 and it is a long season.

Winston is in talks with Miami now that they weren't able to get a trade for Brandon Albert completed. Action could be made soon.

Looks like the pipedream will end soon lol

God Miami sucks. Jeff Ireland is the new Vinny Cerrato.

Basically refused to pay Jake Long this offseason while spending huge money on pretty much everyone else.

Keeps trying to low ball the Chiefs on a trade for Brandon Albert.

Then trades up in the draft, and instead of taking Lane Johnson, essentially eliminating the need to trade for a left tackle, he takes Dion Jordan.

He blows the pick he would've used to get Brandon Albert and the Chiefs shut him down.

And now he has to sign a right tackle who can't swing and stick with Jonathan Martin at left tackle, who sucked at left tackle last year.

God it feels good to avoid these situations nowadays...

I was perplexed by the pick myself.

Can Kluwe kickoff?

He's a great punter, yet the fans and the staff hate him because he's such a douche and is a huge attention whore. He is a punter and yet constantly goes out of his way to get quoted in the papers about anything and everything, especially controversial topics. He does it often enough that despite the fact that it is difficult to find a consistent long term punter such as Kluwe, Minnesota is more than ready to get rid of him.

I know it's just a punter but even though I don't follow Minny, I have noticed several times where he just says stupid ****. I'd really rather not have him here. I know Rocca is getting older but he's been damn good for us and actually seems to love getting out there to make the occasional awesome punter tackle. And when he does, it's usually a fricking awesome rugby tackle and I love it. I think a guy like that who continued to punt effectively through a torn meniscus fits much better on our team and in our locker room than some punk who doesn't know how to mind his own business.

Winston is in talks with Miami now that they weren't able to get a trade for Brandon Albert completed. Action could be made soon.

Looks like the pipedream will end soon lol

How does that help Miami though? They're short an LT, while Winston is an RT.

Meanwhile, KC drafted Fisher, who I guess is going to be a very handsomly paid RT? And Miami traded away a 2nd rounder for a pass rusher while leaving Lane Johnson on the board?

I'm pretty sure that Albert trade has to happen, or else both of those teams are going to be in very weird places with their tackles.

Edit: noticed NLC said they're rolling with Martin. They'd better hope he works there, or they are in serious trouble.

The new Hunter Smith?

I like Sav... and I'm sure Kai is working on kickoffs as homework this offseason... but Sav is injury prone. He normally makes the big kick when you need him to though.

I think we will ride Sav one more year and this kid is a camp body. We'll see though.

lol sore I asked about Corey Lynch and not your opinion of the SAF depth.

I say again; any word on Corey Lynch from the 'insiders'

Nothing new has been reported that I have seen. I still think we could use Lynch as a cheap depth signing. We don't have a lot of FS depth even with Rambo and Thomas IMO.

I assume the plan is for Rambo -FS and Thomas -SS. If Rambo needs to be out of the game Thomas can slide over to FS and Merriweather would step in at SS. That would also help protect BM while he gets more comfortable coming back from his injury. Or maybe both are projected for FS and we think BM will be healthy to play SS all season. Hard to say right now what the plan is until we get these guys on the field.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. We definitely have options now which we haven't in years past and we could have potentially taken a huge weakness and turned it into a strength. Our safety positions aren't exactly traditional FS/SS which gives us even more flexibility with these young guys. I'm really excited

Momma There Goes That Man

Thanks man, working remote for the job no Burgundy and Gold info out here

I'm with you I think the FO should still sign a FA FS (Corey Lynch). SAF, especially FS in this scheme requires a lot of discipline and maybe too much for a rookie to start right away. I kinda see Thomas more as an in the box SS because that's what he did at Frenso but that doesn't mean that he can't make the transition to FS, but week 1 seems a bit much to ask. Rambo played as much single post FS the way our scheme requires it as any FS in college football; I'm very hopeful about his potential but discipline wasn't his strong suit he would make me very nervous as a week 1 starter at FS. While I think/hope the eventual starting SAF tandem will be Rambo-Thomas I don't expect them both starting week 1. Corey Lynch could be the bridge that leads to the rookies starting and could improve the depth at the position perhaps bumping a guy like Gomes or Doughty off the roster.

my 2 cents

I'd be surprised at a Lynch signing at this point. While the drafted guys are unproven, our safety situation is pretty crowded at this point. Meriweather, Reed, Gomes, Tanard, Bernstine, Rambo, Thomas.

I'd say its more likely we add Jammer or another CB for depth. If Hall or Wilson get hurt, we're pretty thin there with only Biggers, Crawford and Amerson backing them up.

I'd be surprised at a Lynch signing at this point. While the drafted guys are unproven, our safety situation is pretty crowded at this point. Meriweather, Reed, Gomes, Tanard, Bernstine, Rambo, Thomas.

I'd say its more likely we add Jammer or another CB for depth. If Hall or Wilson get hurt, we're pretty thin there with only Biggers, Crawford and Amerson backing them up.

And (crossing fingers, toes, legs arms and anything else I can manage) hopefully Chase.

Hail.

Archived