Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Do You Think About the Chippiness/Taunting/****-Talking?

PleaseBlitz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There was nothing wrong with what Garcon did. I don't have a problem with the ball-spinning, much prefer it to the prancing first-down signals a lot of guys give. Garcon carried it a tiny bit farther by pointing to THE BALL and saying something. But it wasn't over the top and wasn't even close to somethiing that should have been called. How the defender doesn't get called for an unsportsmanlike physical shove after the play, but we get 15 yards for saying something mean TO A FOOTBALL, is beyond strange.

Having said that, it appears clear that we are getting called for behavior that many other guys get away with routinely. It isn't fair, and it isn't professional by the officials to do this. But since it seems to be something we'll have to deal with, time to tighten up on any extracurricular activities. What to we want to do, complain about how it isn't fair or go out and win football games?

Football is psychological as well. We're not just beating them on the field, we're beating them in their heads as well. Constantly running the ball to wear them, getting in opposing teams face if they piss us off. We're a mean football team that wants to dominate people. I'm fine with it, losing all these years, as long as we don't get stupid penalties for it.

I have been a huge fan of the ball spin since Santana brought it to our team years ago. I was happy to see that he passed it on to Garcon. However, I think Garcon does it too much. Santana usually reserves it for a touchdown or 3rd down conversion. Garcon does it after every reception. Though I'm not opposed to seeing it, I've been anticipating a taunting or delay of game--particularly when he does it as a ref is reaching for the ball--for several weeks now. Pierre brings some much needed energy and swag to our receiving core, so I'm all for the enthusiasm. Just hope he's learned to limit the celebrating if he's gonna become our go-to guy.

HAIL

Put it this way - imagine RG3 running for a first down. Can you imagine him getting in the opponent's face about it? Going up to a LB and trash talking?

I seriously doubt it. Not to say he doesn't celebrate good plays, but he does it in a classy way.

Now, of course, different guys have different roles on the team and trash talking can be a great tactical advantage, but when I watch Pierre, I tend to think that he is not being tactical, but letting his emotions get the best of him, which is where I think the problem comes in.

All of that said, he clearly provides more positives than negatives, so that is why there isn't a bigger concern here.

If you've played any level of competitive sport, you'd know it happens.

Most of us have. What's that got to do with whether he should be celebrating every little play?

I love that Garcon is so charged up, but he can celebrate without doing things that allow the refs to give him a cheap penalty. By not spinning the ball after a routine first down, he avoids being penalized, which makes him an even stronger weapon. I think that's what people are arguing here.

Bottom line is, the "ballspin" is a rule violation and could be called every time.. Today it didnt cost us, but I dont see why Shanny lets this stuff continue in a game that's won/lost by inches.. Makes no sense to me.. Save that stuff for after a TD, so at least you've got points on the board.. But just because the refs let it go "most of the time" does not make me feel at all comfortable that it wont end up costing us dearly at some point..

That's open for interpretation obviously. Santana has been been doing the ball spin thing on first downs for years and hasn't been called on it. The rest of the receiving corps has picked this up and it's been good so far this season. Until yesterday. Now it's possible that the little extra that Garcon threw in there drew the flag,but that's doubtful since the flag didn't come out until the shove. Bull**** call. Notice however,that after that happened,there wasn't a lot,(if any),ball spinning going on. Oh. And not too concerned about all this. I like it actually. Like some 'tude being shown out there for a change. :)

I'm fine w/it until you cost us yards...I think that the episode w/Garcon yesterday was crazy..I felt the defensive guy should've drawn the flag for shoving him...if a guy is talkin smack..just walk away...you don't have to stand there & listen...I'm not a big fan of the celebrations period if I'm going to be honest...play the game...let your level of play do the trash talking...maybe I'm old school...but I wish it would be cut out altogether...

I like that they are playing with attitude and fire. I like that they don't back down from anyone anymore. But I'd rather our play do the talking like the 91-92 team. They never talked crap. So many teams talked crap before they played us that SB year and got it stuck right back up their asses after the game.

The ball spin doesn't get a flag if you aren't directing it toward the defense. Moss directs his toward the crowd or the endzone, not a player.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 11:22 AM ----------

I still don't see how/why the Browns weren't penalized for refusing to follow the referees command to get off the fumble pile. One ref was pulling a Brown who still wouldn't get off. We're very lucky that Garcon was able to keep control of that ball. That should be a 15 yard unsportsman like call

This one bothers me all the time...but this happens all the time and never results in a penalty. If you're in a pile and the referee tells you to get off, you should be required to oblige him immediately, or get penalized...

I don't know if the tv coverage showed it, but even when Garcon went to the sideline after recovering the fumble he was taunting the cleveland fans. The chant "*******" was very loud in the stadium, I'm sure people on tv must of heard it. Even though I know it could have cost us a penalty, seeing the browns fans around me so angry was worth it and I was applauding Garcon and loving it.

Archived