Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs (merged)

MattFancy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/06/goodell-floats-novel-idea-for-replacing-kickoffs/

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has landed on the cover of TIME magazine. The accompanying article contains plenty of interesting nuggets.

Here’s the first one that caught our eye.

Sean Gregory of TIME writes that one of the options being considered for replacing kickoffs entails giving the ball to the team that would have been kicking off at its own 30, automatically facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise.

In other words, the kickoff would be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion roughly half the distance of Ray Rice’s recent catch-and-run.

This sounds like a terrible idea. Though it would be interesting late in games when teams would do an onside kick, they could just go for it. But other then that, I don't see the point.

That is idiotic. One of the most asinine (sports-related) ideas I've ever heard. It won't prevent any concussions, you still have the returner running at 200-300 lbs trying to hit him. The coverage team would have more time to get down the field (greater hangtime).

How about, if you want to minimize returns, just eliminating the penalty for kicking a kickoff out of bounds?

Does anyone besides me consider a punt return alot more dangerous than a kickoff? I liked when they limited the kickoff runup to only 5 yards. I didn't mind limiting the blocking to 2 man wall. I hated that they moved it back up. Put it back to the 30 and let the players play. Here's another novel idea. Don't let them have "any" walls. Make the players block one on one.

---------- Post added December-6th-2012 at 12:37 PM ----------

The NFL needs to get its head on straight. The kickoffs are not where the subconcussive impacts are piling up..it's in practice, on the lines, etc.

I see more concussion when a player's head hits the turf more than anything. Not from blocking or tackling on a kickoff.

That sounds like a great idea goodell. Who wants kickoffs anyways? They're not a recognizable part of football. While we're at it, why don't we make the players where tin foil hats and bras as well and use a balloon instead of a ball. That'd be great!

I actually don't hate it. Look at the positives:

1) You still get a kick return after scores, but returners will have the option of not fielding the ball or calling a fair catch.

2) I have to imagine that, late in the games, there's a slightly better shot at a team converting 4th and 15 than recovering an onside kick...so it could make for more interesting games.

My preference would be to keep it like it is, but this wouldn't be the end of the world (to me, at least).

2) I have to imagine that, late in the games, there's a slightly better shot at a team converting 4th and 15 than recovering an onside kick...so it could make for more i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ offensive oriented pandering crap to create "excitement"

I fixed your statement! :pfft:

I call bull**** on this. The only thing he's trying to do is replace onside kicks with another chance to march his marketable stars out on the field for big plays that ohh and ahh the casual fans. If anything that increases the risk of injury to key players. Goodell is the David Stern of the NFL. I wonder how long it will be before he bans zone defense.

This sounds like something cooked up to take advantage of the Redskins swiss cheese secondary..../sarcasm...In reality though, seems like teams with sub par secondaries would have an unfair disadvantage on something like this. Doesnt seem like a realistic option to me. What happens if there is defensive holding? The "kicking" team gets to keep the ball with a first and a 5 yard gain??

Step back for a minute. Look at it from the perspective that the kick-off is gone from the game. Given that, what do you think of the proposal? Or offer up an alternative, again with the premise that the kickoff is no more.

I get that people don't want to see the kickoff eliminated. I don't either. But for a hypothetical replacement for the kickoff, it's not a bad proposal.

Step back for a minute. Look at it from the perspective that the kick-off is gone from the game. Given that, what do you think of the proposal? Or offer up an alternative, again with the premise that the kickoff is no more.

I get that people don't want to see the kickoff eliminated. I don't either. But for a hypothetical replacement for the kickoff, it's not a bad proposal.

its horrible and diminishes special teams in favor of the already excessive passing game. Team with bad or average QB play would essentially have zero chance of "on side kick" and failure to complete leaves the opponent in field goal range. A David Stern type idea idea to create more QB hero moments.

no kickoff huh?

Let's see, after a field goal the ball is placed at the 30 to start. After a TD it's place at the 20, unless you successfully stop the conversion, 1 or 2 points in which case it's at the 25.

Onsides kick is replaced by a face off sort of situation. Ball is set at the 50. Two lines of five face each other. So basically an offensive line, the other six players spread out behind and to the sides. The centers reach out and put a hand on the ball and try to snap it back to the players behind them

Archived