Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the Republicans continue to obstruct, or will they actually work with the president this time around?

SteveFromYellowstone

It is for the worst and of course it has become the strategy for dealing with "suspected" terrorists in the middle east and that is because a President from the Democratic Party has cemented every single anti terror tool the Bush/Cheney administration wanted and in many cases (Drones) have gone further then Bush/Cheney ever did.

The next R administration will have free reign to do whatever it pleases with drones and Democrats will be unable to stop them because their guy is the one who cemented these policies.

Could you imagine the outcry if a Bush administration had a "secret kill list"

Well Obama's strong counter terrorism policies are why I was able to vote for him, especially the first time. While everyone else was hearing what they wanted to hear, I was listening to what he said, and I knew he was going to be aggressive on terrorism.

Terms like "secret kill lists" and "suspected" terrorist are completely misused. The "suspected" terrorists in the ME are people we have tracked and seen working with AQ and other dangerous groups. This is a ******* WAR. A war we did not start. And in war, you don't have a trial for every targeted unit. And you certainly don't publish your target list.

And no, the next Pres will not be able to do whatever he wants. If he abuses his power, he will be impeached. Those are the rules.

And one more time because I have never been one to stop hammering home a point.... Pakistan doesn't like our use of drones... big surprise. They don't like our use of ground troops, manned air power, or anything else we do to hunt terrorists. Are we supposed to stop fighting AQ because some crazy ass country like Pakistan where parents can kill their children over "honor" doesn't like it? Really? We have all learned this lesson personally in one way or another... you can't please everyone. And pleasing the terrorist supporting radicals in Pakistan is not high on my list.

And no, the next Pres will not be able to do whatever he wants. If he abuses his power, he will be impeached. Those are the rules.

Well, that's only if he does something that really registers with people in the US or Congress.

There are plenty of ways to abuse power under the rader, or in ways that congress might not care about or overly disagree with.

(this isn't a criticism of Obama though, just a general thought)

Yeah it sounded like he will press Congress to extend middle class tax cuts first and foremost before negotiations on other items.

But he needs to let those on wealthiest Americans expire. Maybe even create another tax bracket or two for those above $1m and another for those above $2m.

But he needs to let those on wealthiest Americans expire. Maybe even create another tax bracket or two for those above $1m and another for those above $2m.

There looks to be a big gap between what some in the GOP may want to do and what they can actually do considering the circumstances and commitments that were made.

I do not think the GOP will allow itself to get maneuvered into situation where they are fighting for upper income tax cuts separately from the middle class tax cuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Norquist#Taxpayer_Protection_Pledge

As of late 2011, 238 of 242 House Republicans and 41 out of 47 Senate Republicans had signed ATR's "Taxpayer Protection Pledge", in which the pledger promises to "oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rate for individuals and business; and to oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates."

The big question for me is how the GOP will handle the pledge in light of upcoming negotiations.

The easy answer is, do not break the pledge on taxes, look like you are negotiating, maybe have the talks break down, and find a way to blame the Democrats for it.

The big question for me is how the GOP will handle the pledge in light of upcoming negotiations.

The easy answer is, do not break the pledge on taxes, look like you are negotiating, maybe have the talks break down, and find a way to blame the Democrats for it.

That strategy certainly has worked for them in the past, as this thread amply demonstrates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Norquist#Taxpayer_Protection_Pledge

The President has supposedly already offered cut $2-3 dollars for every new dollar of revenue.

The President has supposedly already offered cut $2-3 dollars for every new dollar of revenue.

Irresistible force meets immovable object :)

"As of late 2011, 238 of 242 House Republicans and 41 out of 47 Senate Republicans had signed ATR's "Taxpayer Protection Pledge""

Yeah it sounded like he will press Congress to extend middle class tax cuts first and foremost before negotiations on other items.

And, as much as I think that's both what's right for the country and the most fair negotiating tactic, the Republicans cannot possibly allow that to happen.

If the tax cuts for the top 2% come up for a separate vote, the Rs will unanimously vote in favor of it, the Ds will mostly (but probably not unanimously) vote against it, and it won't get passed. (And the voters will overwhelmingly agree with the Ds.)

The tax cuts on the top 2% don't pass, unless there's a hostage (and political cover) involved.

If the President gets to his final two years "lame duck" years with nothing to show for it we are all doomed.

Reid didn't say there was "NO Reason" to pass a budget the year before the election for "NO Reason". They both start working towards 'winning' at all costs earlier and earlier.

If the President gets to his final two years "lame duck" years with nothing to show for it we are all doomed.

Reid didn't say there was "NO Reason" to pass a budget the year before the election for "NO Reason". They both start working towards 'winning' at all costs earlier and earlier.

If the democrats are not careful these next 4 years, they will be setting themselves up for what could be stunning defeats in 2016.

If the democrats are not careful these next 4 years, they will be setting themselves up for what could be stunning defeats in 2016.

If the Republicans couldn't defeat a President with a record as bad as the current President what makes you think they could win in 2016 no matter how bad it gets?

If the Republicans couldn't defeat a President with a record as bad as the current President what makes you think they could win in 2016 no matter how bad it gets?

Simple: as of right now, there is not enough pain for people to give a damn as incredible as it seems to me. Only when a person has skin in the game so to speak and is directly impacted, which is what I think is going to occur after these next few years, attitudes will change and action will result. I don't want more pain for society, but think it's certainly plausible given the current environment.

Simple: as of right now, there is not enough pain for people to give a damn as incredible as it seems to me. Only when a person has skin in the game so to speak and is directly impacted, which is what I think is going to occur after these next few years, attitudes will change and action will result. I don't want more pain for society, but think it's certainly plausible given the current environment.

Enjoy the echo chamber over the next four years.

I think what some are missing is that most dislike Congress more than the President and while they might have been able to stomach Romney the idea of Romney plus that House was too much for all but the furthest right.

Combining corrupt ideologues with a chameleon like Mitt is a scary thought. In other words, until you fix your House you have little chance at the White House.

I think what some are missing is that most dislike Congress more than the President and while they might have been able to stomach Romney the idea of Romney plus that House was too much for all but the furthest right.

Combining corrupt ideologues with a chameleon like Mitt is a scary thought. In other words, until you fix your House you have little chance at the White House.

In order for that to happen the Right has to first accept that their house needs fixing, which at this point seems to be something that the leadership is accepting, but not quite a reality that the rank and file are ready to come to terms with. We were told ad nauseum that the mid-term elections of two years ago were a referendum on the Obama administration, so what was this election a referendum on? Moderates and the Left still blame the Right for being out of touch, for antiquated views of women, for an absurd stance on immigration and for not working for the good of the country but instead working only to make Obama a one term President.

Looking at this thread, I think a better question might be:

When the Republicans continue to obstruct, will their followers continue to claim that it isn't happening?

More like Republicans are obstructing the WRONG things, and Democrats, who used to obstruct the right things, are now going along because their guy is doing it

More like Republicans are obstructing the WRONG things, and Democrats, who used to obstruct the right things, are now going along because their guy is doing it

The preceding attempt to claim false equivalency, and then claim that "therefore, it's OK when my side does it, because I claim that your side acts that way", has been brought to you by decades of right wing media.

I wonder how long it's going to take until we start seeing significant sectarian violence between conservatives and liberals in this country.

I'm not saying we'll have a second civil war (though that thought has crossed my mind), but I feel like this country is sitting on a time bomb and nasty words are going to become actions any day now.

Archived