Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the Republicans continue to obstruct, or will they actually work with the president this time around?

SteveFromYellowstone

There certainly is a lot of defeatism. If you go to the BGO Redskins board it's even more pronounced.

I wonder how similar it is to 2004? I know when we re-elected Bush I thought that America was heading towards economic disaster though mad as Dems were in 2000 and 04, I don't think the America is dead meme was a part of our vocabulary.

whats the BGO Redskins board?

Leading Republicans understand that they have to get immigration reform done asap. Major corporation CEOs will put enormous pressure on political leaders to compromise on taxes and entitlement reform in order to avoid the problems they will face should we go past the fiscal cliff. All three will get done out of political necessity.

Why the rush now on immigration reform?

There will of course be compromise on taxes and entitlements...the degree is the only question

Tax cuts and spending were done last yr as well....or are you suggesting a more permanent fix will pass?

Because the Republicans are hoping that if they pull a 180, right now, today, then two years from now, Hispanic voters will have forgeten 30 years of demonization, name calling, "English Only" constitutional amendments, "anchor babies", and Sheriff Joe?

Just a theory.

There will of course be compromise on taxes and entitlements...the degree is the only question

Tax cuts and spending were done last yr as well....or are you suggesting a more permanent fix will pass?

I don't view anything as permanent, but I do believe there will be significant changes on taxes, including the corporate tax rate, and some changes in entitlements. The rush on immigration is due to Republicans knowing that they have to repair relations with the hispanic community quickly. It serves the Republican interest to get it done quickly.

OK. I assumed since it was referenced multiple times in the thread that it was a reasonable question?

Didnt mean to do something inappropriate. apologies

SS....learn to better control your keyboard. You don't need to even respond to a post like that one. Just read it and pay attention. Every time you do one of these type of replies ( a habit with you) you actually extend whatever matter was being addressed--like staying on topic (which your reply doesn't) in this case and not extending a tangent (which your reply does). :)

Like I said....what's the rush now , the Reps are just going to be demonized by the ignorant while the nanny state expands

However if a sound solution is finally proposed I am certainly willing to listen....better late than never

Like I said....what's the rush now , the Reps are just going to be demonized by the ignorant while the nanny state expands

However if a sound solution is finally proposed I am certainly willing to listen....better late than never

As has been stated, the rush is because the Republican party needs to mend ties with the Hispanic community asap. Any reasonable solution will involve a real path to citizenship for those that are illegal now that doesn't include them returning to their home country. The democrats have huge leverage and that's being acknowledged by Republicans on the Sunday talk shows. Any reason why the Republicans wouldn't do this as quickly as possible?

Trying to rush it thru WHILE telling me what is reasonable ain't gonna get ya much cooperation Hersh :) ...you might sell it to some Northern Rep, but I see things differently

Its interesting you mention that.

I am in general an "open borders" guy. I think labor should have the right to move freely wherever it wants to go. Amnesty+open borders+reduction of welfare state would greatly help our country.

However I do have family in Texas, Houston in particular. Partisan Democrats. ALL opposed to amnesty/loosening the border at all. Its one place where "our sides" essentially flip flop :)

Trying to rush it thru WHILE telling me what is reasonable ain't gonna get ya much cooperation Hersh :) ...you might sell it to some Northern Rep, but I see things differently

I'm telling you what the likes of Graham and Coburn said not to mention the likes of Hannity. I'm not sure they qualify as northern Republicans and I don't think getting something done in 2013 is rushing it.

Edit: It did just occur to me that everyone is Northern to you :D

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

Understatement of the year . . .

It's a political reality if the Republicans plan on winning national elections. For that matter, they need to consider statewide races as well.

Its interesting you mention that.

I am in general an "open borders" guy. I think labor should have the right to move freely wherever it wants to go. Amnesty+open borders+reduction of welfare state would greatly help our country.

However I do have family in Texas, Houston in particular. Partisan Democrats. ALL opposed to amnesty/loosening the border at all. Its one place where "our sides" essentially flip flop :)

Yep, Open boarders won't work w/o controlling our freebies and adjusting tax bases, simply too many poor out there

Many immigrants here are among the most fervent in opposing illegals....you should here some of my customers rants(especially the Indians and Koreans) :ols:

I've lived and loved among immigrants and illegals all my life...a real solution would be nice

The current Republican platform is just wholly unsustainable.

The writing was on the wall by 2000. Thing is, Bush was reasonably popular with Hispanics, so they were largely able to ignore the problem. That, and Cuban Americans supported Republicans by a sizable margin, so even as the Hispanic population grew and turned away from Republicans, the most important state in play, Florida, was help in place thanks to Cuban Americans.

Now Hispanics are a large enough group in enough states that NM, NV, CO, and a few others are in play. And with Cuban Americans suddenly about 50-50, there's no longer any last-line-of-defense in Florida.

That and women are more of a factor now than men. 53% of VA was women.

Even in the House things will sooner or later cave in. States become more diverse, and women become a larger share of the vote, leading to state legislatures/governors shifting left. This means that when districts are redone, they can't be done to subtly give Republicans an advantage, and might even be done in the opposite direction. If/when that happens, they literally will not be able to hold any national power without a major shift in platform.

I think many Republicans understand this, and want the party to become more socially moderate, and pass immigration reform.

Also, they need to drop the pro-choice/pro-life debate, it's over, pro-choice won, the end.

So yeah, on social issues I think Republicans will cease obstruction, or lose even more ground trying.

Fiscally, I think the party line is fine, their problems demographically are social, but in terms of immediate reality compromise is vital. Boehner realizes that he's not getting the Senate or Presidency soon, so he might as well compromise towards the center. My hope is they come to a reasonable consensus prior to the fiscal cliff.

The funny thing about he fiscal cliff though is that the end result is not really a bad idea, the problem lies in the execution. If you did everything the fiscal cliff was going to do over the course of two years, it would probably improve things drastically in the long run. Heck, you could just let the cliff happen and it honestly wouldn't be a big deal if the markets didn't freak out and we didn't have the media reminding us about the cliff all the time.

There will be some deal on immigration; only because the Republicans will want that issue off the table. That deal though won't change how republicans really feel about immigrants-legal or not.

If 9/11 hadn't happened; Bush would've gotten immigration done in his first term and it would probably included amnesty, a worker visa program where people could easily come and go with permanent worker visas.

The fiscal cliff will be postponed for 2 years and that will be all. I don't think they will reach that agreement until after January 1 but within a month. One month of hell breaking loose will get the sides to reach a deal. It will only be 2 years; because they will of course want things for the next election.

They won't change.

They just won't. They didn't change in 2008. In fact, they went further right, and in 2010 were rewarded for it when the won the House and slowed the Senate to a crawl. They won't change this year because they lost, because these guys don't understand what losing means.

Republicans are already telling themselves this wasn't a referendum on their ideas. They just didn't get the latino vote. "If we had the latino vote we would've won." So their idea of "change" is probably going to be lightening up on immigration, without taking into account how vilified the hispanic community has become and their entire parties outright rejection of the DREAM Act, it's embracing of the "Paper's Please" laws, and their attempts to supress the vote among minorities. Their idea of change is a guy like Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz getting more air time, not realizing those two are already screwed because they, by nature of being Republicans, have already been forced to adopt the same language into their platforms.

The Republicans problems are bigger than just getting one part of the electorate that they've more or less shunned and treated unilaterally like second class citizens to vote for them. Their problems are with their whole approach. For the Republicans to change, they'd have to cut ties with the two parts of the electorate they have left----the super-duper uber wealthy, and the disgruntled white male vote.

They're like those people on Kitchen Nightmares who refuse to change because they don't want to scare off the old people who eat at their place because even though the food sucks, they're the only people that come here because it's cheap. At a certain point you need to move past those people if you want to succeed.

The Republican party has no intention of doing that.

I know this is going to fall on deaf ears and the Repubs have been obstructing more than previous but:

To say that they got options in the HealthCare bill is like this scenario.

side1:

I want everyday to wear flipflops and cutoff shorts to work (single payer option)

side2:

WHAT? No, we wear a suit (current clothing), with some with no tie

side1:

Okay Jeans and a collar

Side2:

Dockers and a collar

Side1:

we passed Jeans and a collar 200/135, you guys never compromise and nobody voted for it on your side.

Edit: Though most of you think Single Payer is the only option so the above is obviously a flawed argument :) from someone in the pocket of big pharma and big ER that wants his mom and siseter and kids to die a slow horrible death.

I would have mentioned the Obamacare and abortion but HHS has come out with a new rule that seems to have fixed it for the States whether they want it or not, and i'm not smart enough to understand the wording in the we don't fund it except for maybe a surcharge?

So like most 3000 page bills that span a decade it will take both sides and the Scotus to fix it into something that resemble AmeriFrance

The next bill that comes to the House/Senate: Lets dissect the "bipartisan effort".

I know this is going to fall on deaf ears and the Repubs have been obstructing more than previous but:

To say that they got options in the HealthCare bill is like this scenario.

side1:

I want everyday to wear flipflops and cutoff shorts to work (single payer option)

side2:

WHAT? No, we wear a suit (current clothing), with some with no tie

side1:

Okay Jeans and a collar

Side2:

Dockers and a collar

Side1:

we passed Jeans and a collar 200/135, you guys never compromise.

Redskins2000: Tell me exactly again how I feel about legal immigrants? It seemed kind of a vague.

I've dated a couple terrorists and immigrants apparently but still hate them?

Problem with inventing an imaginary scenario and claiming it's reality, is that it isn't reality.

The reality is:

Republicans: This bill pays for abortions!

Democrats: No it doesn't. In fact, existing federal law already prohibits federal dollars paying for abortions, except in case of rape or incest. And this law doesn't change that one.

Republicans: This bill pays for abortions!

Democrats: OK. Look, we added additional language to the bill, specifically stating that it won't pay for abortions. (Even though existing law already prohibited it, anyway.)

Republicans This bill pays for abortions!

Republicans: This bill pays for illegal immigrants!

Democrats: No it doesn't. In fact, it specifically says that it doesn't.

Republicans: This bill pays for illegal immigrants!

Democrats: OK, look! We added additional language to the bill, mandating that e-Verify must be used, to make sure that it doesn't pay for illegals. (Even though it already, specifically, didn't pay for them, before.)

Republicans: This bill pays for illegals!

Republicans: This bill creates single payer. Filibuster!

Democrats. OK, we can't override your filibuster, because 2 Democrats agree with you. Here, we'll remove it.

Republicans: We still don't like it anyway. Filibuster!

The measure comes to a vote. The Republicans still, unanimously, vote against it. And still, unanimously, filibuster it.

Republicans: The Democrats are partisan and mean and won't compromise or listen to us in any way, and it's all their fault, because we tried as hard as we could to compromise, and they rejected every single thing we proposed, because they're mean and partisan.

I've listed, above, three specific examples in which the proposed bill was modified, to meet Republican demands. (Even though two of the demands were completely fictional, to begin with.)

But, after those concessions, how many Republicans voted for the bill? (I'll give you a hint. It's "zero".)

And how many simply pulled out the next demand? (I'll give you a hint: It's "every single one of them".)

Perhaps we should start a thread about whether the Democrats will work with the president this time. My guess is coming off the election win, they will.

Reid is going to reduce the fillibuster so the repubs will also, or figure out a loophole.

*disclaimer: make bills and amendments default to vote on floor and i'm all in.

Archived