Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Report: Mike Shanahan's comments bother Redskins

Hunter_R

Alexander is talking...? Gee what side of the ball does he play on? Oh Defense... that's right. Where are they ranked... Last? How about that Lorenzo. Where do you and the other 10 factor into Washington losing 3 games this season they should have won. Alexander and about 6 others on that side of the ball better be worried about their jobs. They've been playing like D2 players. What a joke. Shannahan is trying to light a fire under their backsides and they whine.. Somebody ought to send them some stinky cheese (which they stink) to go with that whine.

There have been defenses in the past that had a bunch of "No Names" on them that have played at a high level. Getting beat deep isn't because you don't have skill, it's because a guy makes a mental mistake. No one should ever EVER get deeper than a safety giving over the top help on a double coverage. This has happened repeatedly this season. Forget about lousy tackling and stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. A coach can harp and scream and practice not jumping offsides, but he cannot make a guy focus. That is up to the player himself. Also a coach cannot motivate a player to leave it on the field, that too is up to a player. One only need look at RG's attitude and play this season to know that yes he has talent, but he plays with heart and determination. Many of his teammates should take a seriously look in the mirror.

After the Spurrier experiment, do honestly believe Snyder would hire another college coach? If things continue for the Skins and Eagles, I'm all for bringing Andy Reid to the Skins.

That's a good point, but if a coaching change is going to occur, I'd like to bring in someone who isn't anyone else's retread. Someone like either of the Harbaugh Bros, who make an immidiate impact and aren't so "set in their ways"...

After the Spurrier experiment, do honestly believe Snyder would hire another college coach? If things continue for the Skins and Eagles, I'm all for bringing Andy Reid to the Skins.

What is all the love for Andy Reid? I'm not getting it. You talk about Spurrier, why would we want to go the Norv route again?

I'll let you guys in on something. The locals here in Charlotte for the first 8 weeks of the season have been hammering Armanti Edwards. He's a local kid that went to nearby Appalachian State. They've been pissed that Marty Hurney pulled a Vinny and traded up for this guy. He's done absolutely zero up until this week and was the last receiver to hang on to the roster. Most fans and media thought he should have been cut and he's been the 2nd most scrutinized player on the roster next to Cam. So, basically with LaFell and Gettis out, the Panthers put in the 6th string WR and he proceeds to catch an 82 yard pass against us. SIXTH string WR. An all time low for this team.

What is all the love for Andy Reid? I'm not getting it. You talk about Spurrier, why would we want to go the Norv route again?

I always thought Reid was a good coach. He's never won the big game, but his teams usually win and are always prepared.

RG3 IS NOT JC. He would have no problem excelling in another system. To be honest, I don't like all these gimmick plays that the Shanahans are running for RG3. It's like they don't have confidence that he can be a drop back QB. I say get rid of the Shanahan's now.

RG3 is succeeding because they are running a system that maximizes his talents. The offensive system isn't a problem. The problem is an offensive line that is at best mediocre and a lack of receivers to make plays. Funny, but that sounds like a familiar refrain we had when Campbell was here. RG3 is certainly more talented, but that talent can't get past the other needs that are on the offensive side of the ball.

Then there is the defense that even after three years building it, isn't playing up to snuff. I get the injuries, but the staff is on the hook for the players they have and being able to coach them up.

Alexander is talking...? Gee what side of the ball does he play on? Oh Defense... that's right. Where are they ranked... Last? How about that Lorenzo. Where do you and the other 10 factor into Washington losing 3 games this season they should have won. Alexander and about 6 others on that side of the ball better be worried about their jobs. They've been playing like D2 players. What a joke. Shannahan is trying to light a fire under their backsides and they whine.. Somebody ought to send them some stinky cheese (which they stink) to go with that whine.

There have been defenses in the past that had a bunch of "No Names" on them that have played at a high level. Getting beat deep isn't because you don't have skill, it's because a guy makes a mental mistake. No one should ever EVER get deeper than a safety giving over the top help on a double coverage. This has happened repeatedly this season. Forget about lousy tackling and stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. A coach can harp and scream and practice not jumping offsides, but he cannot make a guy focus. That is up to the player himself. Also a coach cannot motivate a player to leave it on the field, that too is up to a player. One only need look at RG's attitude and play this season to know that yes he has talent, but he plays with heart and determination. Many of his teammates should take a seriously look in the mirror.

with the exception of about 2 or 3 players on that defense, they should all be weary about their jobs. they have no room to point fingers at anyone (including the coaching staff).

RG3 is succeeding because they are running a system that maximizes his talents. The offensive system isn't a problem. The problem is an offensive line that is at best mediocre and a lack of receivers to make plays. Funny, but that sounds like a familiar refrain we had when Campbell was here. RG3 is certainly more talented, but that talent can't get past the other needs that are on the offensive side of the ball.

Haven't seen you around these parts in a while... welcome back.

One reminder though, let's not bring JC into a discussion attaining to RG3 ;)

If continuity is so important' date=' why do 7 to 8 teams fire their coach every single year? Are NFL teams dumb? Are the Chargers secretly brilliant?[/quote']

Who fires their coach every single year? Do you mean in general or specific teams who actually fire coaches once a year?

If you mean in general, that question is incredibly vague. There's so many reasons a coach can get fired, but that doesn't mean continuity ISN'T important. Are you trying to argue that continuity isn't important by using the one exception with Norv, lol? Maybe Jack Del Rio with the Jags is another example to boost your point. Still, there are few.

I think the most important piece to any rebuild is the franchise QB. The guy who comes in and gets to have one right away usually is successful. The one who chooses wrong isn't. That seems to happen more so than not. Except with Norv of course. Just look at coaches like Tom Coughlin, Gary Kubiak, Sean Payton, John Harbuagh, Mike Smith, etc... Those guys came in and got their guy right away, and some of them still took years to really get their team on track. All of them came in to better situations than Mike as well. We got our QB now, I want to see what Mike can do with him for a few years.

I look at the Broncos right before Mike got canned and think he was creating something special there. Between Marshall, Cutler and Clady he had already built an offense that would've been good for years. Defensively, he had some key players in Dumervil and Bailey but needed a better coordinator. That has been his downfall and it's been the same here, but he was close. I still look at this team as being close. I don't care if it's crazy to say right now and I'm going against the tide. I really don't.

Haven't seen you around these parts in a while... welcome back.

Been lurking mostly lately. Haven't had the time to reside here the past couple of years.

One reminder though, let's not bring JC into a discussion attaining to RG3 ;)

Only brought him up because the person responding did. Just making the point that the more things change, the more things stay the same. Yes, having talent at QB is important, but the QB is dependent on a lot of other positions performing as well. One player doesn't do it by himself in this league.

You have been strangely lucid in recent posts I've seen, but that post is almost 180 degrees opposite than reality. RGIII is succeeding because he is awesome. He is not a product of a scheme. He is a product of being awesome at football.

The line has also held up remarkably well this year. It's exceptionally low on my list of priorities.

The receivers suck of course.

It wouldn't surprise me if he resigns after this season with the way things are looking. How we got man handled by a 1-6 team yesterday at home in front of the skins alumni and his post game interview says it all.

I understand the players getting bothered by the coaches remarks. Hopefully this will add fuel to the fire and get the players pissed off/fired up for the next game.

You have been strangely lucid in recent posts I've seen' date=' but that post is almost 180 degrees opposite than reality. RGIII is succeeding because he is awesome. He is not a product of a scheme. He is a product of being awesome at football.

The line has also held up remarkably well this year. It's exceptionally low on my list of priorities.

The receivers suck of course.[/quote']

Thank you. A lot of these guys think as the Shanahans do. RG3 IS a real QB. He's not a system QB.

The receivers suck of course.

Griffin has shown clearly his ability to make reads and go through his progressions. He has shown himself to be tremendous at this, actually

Yesterday he had nobody to throw to. Nobody. He dropped back, scanned the field, and there was nobody there. Logan ****ing Paulsen was our leading receiver.

There might be a reason that Garçon is targeted with 7 out of every 10 throws when he is out there. It ain't "chemistry".

His comments bother them, well I'm sure their horrendous play has bothered him too. I foresee a lot of changeover on defense this offseason. Shanny's eluded to players needing to step up and perform already. Coaches can only do so much, it's up to the players to go out there and execute.

We can all speculate about Shanny resigning, being fired, etc, but I don't see it happening. We got screwed out of getting a good CB and RT in free agency (we were most likely going to sign Finnegan and either Winston or Bell), were shocked to find out Jackson was being suspended the entire year, and have had a ton of MAJOR injuries (Orakpo, Carriker, Merriweather, Davis). Not to mention its pretty obvious Fletcher is playing hurt, or he has finally lost that step. A lot of unforeseen issues Shanny has dealt with this year, that I think he can correct if given the time. It's tough to be patient, but heading into this season, who honestly expected us to be a playoff contender? We're all shocked at how bad our D has regressed, but when looking at everything leading up to it, it makes perfect sense why it has.

There is no way Hall and Wilson return. Hall is making 7 million this year. how the hell does that happen?

I agree it's a lot of money..maybe try to restructure his contract. I would actually keep Hall. I think he's the best we got back there. But Wilson definitely has to go.

Shanny looked like an worn out old yard dog...still has the mean looking growl but nothing behind it!!! He looked defeated and his comments reflected it.

This is a game that takes alot of stamina and the players can tell if the coach is all-in. Unless something dramatic happens this next two weeks we WILL be "Evaluating Personnel" for the coming years.

With players its physical decline with coaches it's stamina that declines with age and stress. He may want to see if Kyle is ready for more duties.

I think the most important piece to any rebuild is the franchise QB.

I look at the Broncos right before Mike got canned and think he was creating something special there. Between Marshall, Cutler and Clady he had already built an offense that would've been good for years. Defensively, he had some key players in Dumervil and Bailey but needed a better coordinator. That has been his downfall and it's been the same here, but he was close. I still look at this team as being close. I don't care if it's crazy to say right now and I'm going against the tide. I really don't.

I like the way you think I feel the exact same way, and I don't care if it sounds crazy. QB is the biggest and hardest piece to find. We did it. We flipped the offense in two years, and our defensive backfield will be flipped after this season. Two years from now, I have hard time believing that we won't have a competitive secondary, an upgrade at RT, and another playmaking WR. That would be year five, and I like Shanny thought it would be a five year project.

And I'll take my craziness one step further. I would rather have our roster (mostly because of RG3) than the Vikings, Dolphins, Colts, and whatever other franchises people seem to be so jealous of on here. I bet we play in an NFC chanpionship before any of those teams sniff the second round.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/45277/so-lets-say-mike-shanahans-right

I rarely disagree with Dan. But I think he is way off on this article. He is not giving the fans enough credit and expects them to be treated and talked to as emotional children. While it may have been a mistake to say it at a press conference, I respect Mikes honesty & think the fan base does want to be told the truth. As for Dans point that, " quite frankly, the players ... don't deserve to hear it..." the players have done NOTHING to deserve any sympathy and should be put on blast by the coaches.

HTTR

Archived