Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Report: Mike Shanahan's comments bother Redskins

Hunter_R

Mike will "have a talk" with anyone who feeds into it. Let the media do their thing. If the players arent complete idiots they'll realize they put themselves in this situation and shouldn't open their mouths.

That's all well and good, but Shanahan opened the doors for this with his comment. Not the other way around. "Do as I say, not as I do," isn't quite as good as leading by example.

What happens once the players are starting to doubt the coach? Is it possible to come back from that?

I'm down on Shanahan as much as the next guy, but this isn't sentiment I fully agree with. Winning has a tendency to cure all, and it's amazing how much cutting a couple of bad eggs and adding more respected players to the locker room can help.

I'm not willing to bet that Shanahan can turn this around, but to be fair, how many times have guys like Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick had 'annonymous' sources complain to the media, only for those voices to be silenced when the team turned it around?

It's a bye week, so of course Mike is going to evaluate his players and staff. I think this quotation is being taken way out of proportion.

I thought this too but his mention of the playoffs is what is making everyone freak out. I'd like to see us get a different DC and come back to the eagles game swinging. The only major problems I saw on the offense was our lack of trust in them. The gimmick plays were pointless and the knees in the second and fourth quarters are really starting to piss me off. If we went back to a regular passing/running offense I'd be fine with Kyle and Mike. Its hard for me to root for a team that gives up or throws Banks the ball behind the line of scrimmage on a 4th down at the end of the game.

4 in the history of the NFL....

Out of those 4, did any advance to the Superbowl or AFC / NFC title game?

I reckon there is still a chance, but it's slim. Maybe I'm not bothered by the comments b/c I didn't really have high expectations for this team. After watching them in the preseason, I felt this team would be mediocre at best (7-9 to a 9-7 type team). After the last few weeks, I'm thinking I'm probably wrong and this team may be more like 6-10.

Give one good reason why the team should trust HIM? :whoknows:

Because the horse does not go before the cart. Ever.

When they are posting historically BAD defensive numbers, and are on the verge of being literally the WORST pass defense in history, then they have absolutely no reason or right to be able to look at ANYONE else...

After playing as bad as they do, the very idea they can complain about their coach telling them this, then they can GTFO.

IMO, if a player gives up, cut them.

I'd cut Lorenzo for that comment.

enough making friends with losers. Cut a guy. Scare these little kids who populate our locker room.

Let them realize that given THEIR performance, this is possibly the last stop on their career.

Let them know this isn't a privelege in which they have to be treated nicely when they fail this badly.

They don't blow schemes that are too hard to run or comprehend, they blow fundamentals.

They are phycially unable to do their jobs, and SHOULD be put on notice.

~Bang

It would be nice to know exactly WHO the players were who said this; I'd bet their performance level is licking the rust at the bottom of the barrel.

Personally I'm glad Mike said something; obviously the players aren't listening to his coaching mindset, so if they get upset at his comments, well, tough titty said the kitty. Step up, be a man about it, and do your jobs the way you're supposed to.

Bunch of over-paid crybabies with their precious wittle feelings getting hurt because the coach stepped up and told the truth.

Damn near every one of the players should donate a portion of their paychecks BACK to the team; theft is illegal...

When they are posting historically BAD defensive numbers, and are on the verge of being literally the WORST pass defense in history, then they have absolutely no reason or right to be able to look at ANYONE else...

After playing as bad as they do, the very idea they can complain about their coach telling them this, then they can GTFO.

enough making friends with losers. Cut a guy. Scare these little kids who populate our locker room.

Let them realize that given THEIR performance, this is possibly the last stop on their career.

They don't blow schemes that are too hard to run or comprehend, they blow fundamentals.

~Bang

I would agree with you if I thought it was SOLELY a matter of talent.

You know what? I'm going to go with the old Madden adage about 4th and short.

If you have a 4th and short and your players want to go for it, you look at them and say "next time, don't leave it short."

If you, as players, want to ***** about the comments Shanny is making, do a better job of execution during the game. He challenged you with the must win mantra and you failed. And now, you are all going to cry to UnWise Mike, who absolutely hates the Redskins anyways, so I'm sure he's loving this ****. Cry me a river...

There are very few scenarios in football where John Madden didn't provide some insight. This is absolutely right. I don't hate Shanahan's attitude, not with Donovan (with the help of hindsight), and not with Fat Al. I can't muster up sympathy for the players, particularly on defense, who help put themselves in this position.

I have absolutely no problem with what Shanny said. I mean, how many teams that started 3-6 have made it to the Playoffs? This season is pretty much over, time now to evaluate and see who can be a good contributor and who needs to go.

We as fans can say that, the team can't. So those players & coaches are gonna collect massive game checks for a glorified practices on Sunday? It's crap and if you listening to Robert after the game, he sure isnt packing it in. Wouldn't be shocked at all if he is one of the people disappointed in the comments. Winners play to to win, not to be evaluated and in his own words "if you aren't coming back expecting to win, stay home."

Maybe, he realizes that 'Haz been' doesn't cut the mustard. Maybe he schemed this all up to piss off the defense into playing better. Reverse psychology. Obviously paying them to do a job isn't enough to get effort. Haz pacing the sidelines not coaching players isn't working. Perhaps knocking them down in the dirt will? Mike, you have 2.5 seasons. Prove your haters wrong.

Well, scratch that thought. He blamed the media. Oh well. Also not firing your worthless defensive and ST coordinators.....interesting. We'll see how it goes.

i really have no problem with his comments, the team right now is just playing terrible. watching yesterday I didnt see a lot of fire in the players, no real sense of urgency. I really think the team beyond repair this season. The defense has been so bad that some of those losses early in the season really crushed this team. They will keep playing but the offense has no faith in the defense and it shows by all the 4th down calls by shannon to go for it. We could have taken the field goal and only been down by a point but instead went for it. The sole reason for that is because the head coach doesnt trust the dfefense, and he was correct they proudly gave up a 98 yard scoring drive. Uggghh

I would agree with you if I thought it was SOLELY a matter of talent.

I agree, and the comment should also be heard by position coaches who's players can't catch or crack a backfield, or cover a tight end or a wideout.

It should be heard by coordinators who's players are in poor position, or unable to do their jobs, or consistently make stupid plays.

it should be heard by everyone in the organization who is under him, with the exception of RG3, Alfred Morris, Trent Williams, and Ryan Kerrigan... maybe a FEW others.

everyone else ought to be worried about their job.

everyone else ought to be worried about their careers, since this performance will be on their resumés.

And he is correct to call them out.

~Bang

That's all well and good, but Shanahan opened the doors for this with his comment. Not the other way around. "Do as I say, not as I do," isn't quite as good as leading by example.

I don't think there is any possible way out of this for you in your mind, so I won't bother humoring you about it. It's not as big a deal as the media is going to make it, or already are making it, and the players have to be idiots to not see that. But, whatever... if they complain then at least you know who the idiots on the team are.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 11:15 AM ----------

Give one good reason why the team should trust HIM. :whoknows:

I can give you two. In a row.

I reckon there is still a chance, but it's slim. Maybe I'm not bothered by the comments b/c I didn't really have high expectations for this team. After watching them in the preseason, I felt this team would be mediocre at best (7-9 to a 9-7 type team). After the last few weeks, I'm thinking I'm probably wrong and this team may be more like 6-10.

the 1996 Jaguars went to the AFC Title game and lost to the Patiorits

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 01:17 PM ----------

the 1996 Jaguars went to the AFC Title game and lost to the Patriots

Let them know this isn't a privelege in which they have to be treated nicely when they fail this badly.

~Bang

Question for ya Bang; not that i'm disagreeing with you, just curious about the talent/information aspect of it.

Would any of the blame properly fall on scouting? One thing i'm not familiar with is the scouting; I know they're involved with college players, but what about FAs?

I agree this is the absolute LAST thing the team needs during a bye week; it sets them up for a humongous blow-out coming back; but this could also be a psychological mind**** inverted into a reverse motivational expectancy of the players. Whatever that means..lol.

Maybe this is what the team as a whole needs to re-evaluate themselves and their performances, air out the dirty laundry and come back swinging. I'm kinda hoping this is the intention, but it ultimately depends on the individual players to look themselves in the mirror and tell themselves ' I can and will do better'...

of course he wants to cover his ass

this was the bigger problem I have with the tail end of that article:

Shanahan also said he was not planning on making any coaching staff chances during the bye week as Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid did three weeks ago when he fired his defensive coordinator.

Why the flippin' **** not?????

is he THAT blind?????

Archived