Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Report: Mike Shanahan's comments bother Redskins

Hunter_R

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000090806/article/report-mike-shanahans-comments-bother-redskins

"Bein' 3-6 really [stinks] because right now we're on the outside looking in," Lorenzo Alexander told UnWise Mike of the Washington Post. "I'm not thinkin' about next year. That's an offseason thing for me. But you know it's hard when you see yourself in that type of position and your head coach is saying those types of things. It's disappointing."

Two other players told Wise anonymously they were bothered by Shanahan's comments. Considering that Shanahan has a lower winning percentage during his Redskins tenure than Steve Spurrier or Jim Zorn, it's a dangerous message.

Short and sweet. Is Mike Shanahan going to be able to keep the locker room on his side? No doubt it will be easy for this sentiment to spread to the other players, if it already hasn't. If he loses the locker room, what does he have?

Aww.. the defense doesn't like being told they SUCK?

simple solution, losers.

Play better.

The defense is an absolute joke.

If they get upset with their coach for telling them that, then **** them.

As fart as I'm concerned, if the coach says that, and you're part of the 45th ranked defense in a 32 team league, then shut your ****ing mouth and recognize how little room you have to say anything.

I like Lorenzo, but damn, you want to not think about next year? You don't like hearing this?

BEAT YOUR MAN ONCE. Get a ****ing GLOVE on Cam friggin' Newton for cryin' out loud.

the question as far as the defense is concerned isn't "is mike going to lose them".. it's "Why the hell should Mike KEEP them"

~Bang

Sitting on the sidelines yesterday,in the second half it looked like the team had already quit.

To answer the OP's question, If he doesnt come out and clarify his comments this afternoon at his presser, then he will no doubt lose the locker room. If that happens, then please just get rid of him now.

What happens once the players are starting to doubt the coach? Is it possible to come back from that?

Who cares.

Honestly, should the defense worry about their coach respecting them, or should they worry about why he does NOT?

Sound like they've got the whole thing bakwards.

Poor little babies.

Give one good reason why he should trust THEM as opposed to their selfish little "we don't like the coach" crap.

~Bang

the question as far as the defense is concerned isn't "is mike going to lose them".. it's "Why the hell should Mike KEEP them"

~Bang

Do we know for sure that the 2 anonymous skins were defense or special teams? This just seems like the snowball beginning to form. It's bad enough what we heard from the coach. How bad is it now that we're hearing players question the head coach's comment?

Thank you, Bang. Thank you.

As I've stated before, I'm angrier at Mike for allowing the media to have something to feed the rage in the fickle than I am with anything he said. When read in context, it's clear he didn't mean he's giving up per se, but only that he's got to re-evaluate what he thinks of this team and its players. Lorenzo shouldnt feed into this either and go ask his coach before he says anything. Whatever, it is what it is now. Just going to get worse now.

Who cares.

Honestly, should the defense worry about their coach respecting them, or should they worry about why he does NOT?

Sound like they've got the whole thing bakwards.

Poor little babies.

Give one good reason why he should trust THEM as opposed to their selfish little "we don't like the coach" crap.

~Bang

Gotta agree here. I don't think Mike should have said that but he did and its the truth. Time for the players to nut up or shut up

I remember when Mike first came in and as we went on in the 2010 season some players were openly questioning how he was treating the McNabb and Haynesworth situations. Every situation they questioned MIKE WAS RIGHT ABOUT. Like I said, I'm with you Bang. Let the players have a problem with it. If they do, we don't have to worry about a locker room being "lost" because it's not worth keeping.

Lorenzo should have said I feel bad we made our coach feel that way and that I'm going to do everything I can to turn it around. That is all.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:52 AM ----------

That's my point. How does this get fixed? I think the floodgates are opened and the bell is tolling.

Mike will "have a talk" with anyone who feeds into it. Let the media do their thing. If the players arent complete idiots they'll realize they put themselves in this situation and shouldn't open their mouths.

Honestly, I think the guy is going to resign at the end of the year his heart is going.... and then the cycle begins again with some other has been clown.

I'm on the Grimm bandwagon.

Everything around our team is Grim.

Russ Grimm? What do want to do, revive the Riggo Drill? I'm so tired of fans trying to reach into the past. Grimm hasn't been a viable head coaching candidate in about 5 years. Do you really think he'd come in and wave his magic Hogs wand and make us contenders? I don't. No thanks. We need to move forward, not backwards.

I remember when Mike first came in and as we went on in the 2010 season some players were openly questioning how he was treating the McNabb and Haynesworth situations. Every situation they questioned MIKE WAS RIGHT ABOUT. Like I said, I'm with you Bang. Let the players have a problem with it. If they do, we don't have to worry about a locker room being "lost" because it's not worth keeping.

Lorenzo should have said I feel bad we made our coach feel that way and that I'm going to do everything I can to turn it around. That is all.

But that's not what Lorenzo said. How do you nip this in the bud, now?

Also, that was when Shanahan was new. Things are a bit different now. Mike doesn't have as much going for him a he did in his first year.

That is why I hate post game pressers. Too fresh and every answer is picked apart.

He should evaluate players each and every week. I am not afraid to bash Shanahan when needed, but at 3-6 no matter what he says he is going to get killed. Say he is happy with the team he is called an idiot who is in denial. Say that the team is not talented and he is accused of calling his players out. Say that a coach needs to be fired and he hears that needs to keep that in the locker room. So he says that he will be evaluating players, coaches, himself.

Some of the players should be doing some self evaluation as well.

Everything around our team is Grim.

Russ Grimm? What do want to do, revive the Riggo Drill? I'm so tired of fans trying to reach into the past. Grimm hasn't been a viable head coaching candidate in about 5 years. Do you really think he'd come in and wave his magic Hogs wand and make us contenders? I don't. No thanks. We need to move forward, not backwards.

Agreed.

I'd rather hire Arizona's D-Coord, Clancy Pendergast. He's very good.

You know what? I'm going to go with the old Madden adage about 4th and short.

If you have a 4th and short and your players want to go for it, you look at them and say "next time, don't leave it short."

If you, as players, want to ***** about the comments Shanny is making, do a better job of execution during the game. He challenged you with the must win mantra and you failed. And now, you are all going to cry to UnWise Mike, who absolutely hates the Redskins anyways, so I'm sure he's loving this ****. Cry me a river...

I have absolutely no problem with what Shanny said. I mean, how many teams that started 3-6 have made it to the Playoffs? This season is pretty much over, time now to evaluate and see who can be a good contributor and who needs to go.

4 in the history of the NFL....

Regardless of what ever he meant, I expect more from my veteran coach

He knows what sets off the media...he's been doing press conferences since before I was born

He know goddamn well how to not start unnecessary bs. So not only does he have to answer for being a ******* failure of a coach but now he has to talk about this nonsense

What happened to us not being a circus anymore? Getting rid of the distractions ?

I don't give a **** how the players feel, I'm pissed because my head coach can't even get through a press conference without saying stupid ****

Archived