Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Report: Mike Shanahan's comments bother Redskins

Hunter_R

I knew yesterday that the quote was taken out of context. That's not the point of this thread. This thread was about the players starting to react.

That IS the point, though. Their reactions are over-reactions and based on falsehood. How can that not be the point?

No, because in season coordinator changes almost never work. I'd rather us just stick with Haslett for the rest of the season (yuck), then go get ourselves a new coordinator.

On the other hand, was anyone else reminded of why they hated Antonio Pierce in that clip?

I agree,, in season firings never present a positive outcome.

all it does is fire the guy a few month ahead of time.

I can't think of a single instance in which it cause a direct turnaround that same year.

~Bang

Man, if shanny is saying all week we have to win this game to make a playoff run, then you show up like THAT at home, I'm not shocked for him to say that this season is basically over. Mathmatics be damned, because if this team was serious about making a run, they would've started against the 1-6 team at home.

I promise you if we fire shanny we will NOT get to hire someone better them him. His hiring wasn't just about winning, it was changing our culture an image. He has to finish his contract for us to be taken seriously as a respectable franchise, otherwise we will stay a joke...

Man, if shanny is saying all week we have to win this game to make a playoff run, then you show up like THAT at home, I'm not shocked for him to say that this season is basically over. Mathmatics be damned, because if this team was serious about making a run, they would've started against the 1-6 team at home.

I promise you if we fire shanny we will NOT get to hire someone better them him. His hiring wasn't just about winning, it was changing our culture an image. He has to finish his contract for us to be taken seriously as a respectable franchise, otherwise we will stay a joke...

I think no matter how much he wanted to fire them up, there's only so much you can do with that defense.

They can be as pumped up as possible, but the talent just isn't there. Doughty is still doughty,, Williams is still Wiliams, and even though I think London is losing a step, his lack of ability to jump on Cam's first pass attempt of the day shows me that his hammy is very much limiting his effectiveness.

~Bang

You're ranting about the fans. I'm wondering about the players, who are just a tad bit more important to the success of the team.

No, no... I clearly said both players and fans numerous times, Hunter. You can go and re-read my responses if you need to, but I did.

He has to finish his contract for us to be taken seriously as a respectable franchise, otherwise we will stay a joke...

No question this is the truth. If Snyder is perceived as reverting back to his old ways, and throwing Shanahan overboard too quickly. We are never going to get a legit head coach candidate to want this gig. The time may come one day for Shanahan to be fired. That day is a long ways off. Snyder doesn't have the luxury of being Snyder anymore. He has burned way too many bridges.

The perception would destroy any credibility that he has built for himself since he hired Bruce Allen. Most people are starting to come around that he has changed. The worst thing he could do is sabotage that now.

Shanny is not a good head coach anymore and neither is his kid a good OC...if they were we would be a better team playing better ball...

There is some sort of disconnect, we are regressing....from the outset Carolina came out way more fired up...they physically kicked our ass...and our game plan was weak...

don't buy the injury excuse...

We need better players and a better coach then we'll be better...oh and a better owner....

Yeah, a 14-27 record should earn you all the respect in the world. Let me or you suck at our jobs for 3 years and see where we'll be.

I tell you what, how about I hire you to run one of the worst ran businesses ever, promise you that I'd give you 5 full years to turn it around since it's so bad, then have you deal with not being able to hire who you want because of labor issues for two years, then have you get penalized for trying to fix something I screwed up before I hired you which further hampers your ability to hire anyone? Would you like it if I had a problem with how you're running things with all this in mind before your five years are up? Yeah, I'm sure you would.

Sitting on the sidelines yesterday,in the second half it looked like the team had already quit.

To answer the OP's question, If he doesnt come out and clarify his comments this afternoon at his presser, then he will no doubt lose the locker room. If that happens, then please just get rid of him now.

No question this team has quit--on both sides of the ball.

I tell you what, how about I hire you to run one of the worst ran businesses ever, promise you that I'd give you 5 full years to turn it around since it's so bad, then have you deal with not being able to hire who you want because of labor issues for two years, then have you get penalized for trying to fix something I screwed up before I hired you which further hampers your ability to hire anyone? Would you like it if I had a problem with how you're running things with all this in mind before your five years are up? Yeah, I'm sure you would.

No matter how you put it, there's no excuses for being 3-6 in his third year. The Colts, Vikings and the Dolphins were thought to be worse than we were coming into this season and all three of those teams have shown more than the Skins.

I think this far in to Shanny's 5 year plan, we need to see it through. BUT, it does grate on my last freakin' nerve that teams with perceived less talent are winning now...

Dolphins, sure they lost to the Colts but only by 3 and have been in every game and are poised to make a playoff run with Brian Hartline as a starting WR.

Speaking of Colts, 5-3 and in second place in their division. Sure, Luck is the real deal but every pundit picked RGIII to have the better season because the Skins have better overall talent surrounding him. Maybe they should have evaluated the talent on the bench and in the booth.

Seahawks, man, I hate Pete Carroll but this team seems to overacheive. Even though they paid way too much for Matt Flynn sitting on the bench and got a gift win, they are 5-4 and in the hunt.

Vikings, we beat them and they have lost 3 of their last 4 and still have a winning record.

Anyway, I know Chuck E. Cheese and Son are around and I hope this gets turned around but yesterday, after the 4th down sprint out with no option, is where I started to lose faith.

No question this team has quit--on both sides of the ball.

I don't know,, many of them simply are not capable.

they can try all they want, but the results are the same.

Inadvertent whislte aside, on Williams' long TD run, did anyone else notice the angle Doughty took? Did anyone else realize as soon as you saw him coming on where he did that williams was going to score?

Serioulsy, as soon as Doughty came shooting into that gap, I said, "he's gone".

Doughty, Madieu,, it doesn't matter if they've quit. they can't play any better anyway.

~Bang

No matter how you put it, there's no excuses for being 3-6 in his third year. The Colts, Vikings and the Dolphins were thought to be worse than we were coming into this season and all three of those teams have shown more than the Skins.

I don't care what anyone was "thought" to be. I know what's going on with the Skins and our rebuild. That's enough for me.

I don't know,, many of them simply are not capable.

they can try all they want, but the results are the same.

Inadvertent whislte aside, on Williams' long TD run, did anyone else notice the angle Doughty took? Did anyone else realize as soon as you saw him coming on where he did that williams was going to score?

Serioulsy, as soon as Doughty came shooting into that gap, I said, "he's gone".

Doughty, Madieu,, it doesn't matter if they've quit. they can't play any better anyway.

~Bang

Fair point, Bang. Doughty and Madieu are barely NFL capable backups...let me revise: Doughty is a lower-tier NFL backup. Madieu shouldn't be playing safety in the NFL. Nevertheless, we have a scheme that doesn't fit in with our strengths. I'm absolutely convinced that if we transitioned over the bye into a 4-3, we'd be better immediately. We still have 4-3 personnel along the defensive line--the MOST IMPORTANT component of the 3-4 defense. It's insanity, really, that we haven't at least mixed in some 4-3 fronts. The secondary looks even worse than it is because our pass rush is completely non-existent. Someone please explain to me what Barry Cofield is doing at NT. Please...I beg you. We might as well play defense with 10 men.

Offensively, all of our "developing" talent--Robinson, Paul, Hankerson--crap...utter crap. There need to be major scouting, front office and coaching changes. We may not win another game this season.

I think no matter how much he wanted to fire them up, there's only so much you can do with that defense.

They can be as pumped up as possible, but the talent just isn't there. Doughty is still doughty,, Williams is still Wiliams, and even though I think London is losing a step, his lack of ability to jump on Cam's first pass attempt of the day shows me that his hammy is very much limiting his effectiveness.

~Bang

I agree with you on the talent issue. Its at the point that I don't feel anyone could come in here and win with this group now. For those talking about other teams, look at our roster compared to the other teams that are "success" stories right now. Then look at WHO on our team got injured and what part they played in us being respectable this season. The primary reason we side-stepped away from talking about another rebuilding year was the fact we won the Saints game...

What is needed is for some of the higher profile players to step up and accept responsibility, and say that Mike has every right to say whatever he said, regardless of the context or emotion at the time.

They were talking of player-only meetings and how useless they were, but I just don't see it. If the front and back are on 2 different pages, or one side sees problems in the other, discuss it and find ways to fix them, or at least better defend them.

Yes, many of the defensive players would not make another team's 1st squad, but at some point pride HAS to kick in for some of the veterans on the team...

I agree with you on the talent issue. Its at the point that I don't feel anyone could come in here and win with this group now. For those talking about other teams, look at our roster compared to the other teams that are "success" stories right now. Then look at WHO on our team got injured and what part they played in us being respectable this season. The primary reason we side-stepped away from talking about another rebuilding year was the fact we won the Saints game...

We have had some very bad luck with the injury bug.

Major injuries every year to key players.

Brandon Merriwether running into Aldrick Robinson in warm ups.. that was a month ago...if that isn't snakebit, i don't know what is.

I totally agree with your post.

~Bang

I don't care what anyone was "thought" to be. I know what's going on with the Skins and our rebuild. That's enough for me.

I'm glad you aren't our GM. We should expect more by now... All we have is a regressed defense and an offense being masked by a star QB. And we are still the most penalized team in the NFL and stillcommit copious amounts of mental mistakes. We still see guys giving less effort than they should, especially relative to the opposition.

Are we really rebuilding? I know that the word people toss around to justify losing. How exactly are we gonna rebuild with limited early rd draft picks?

Archived