Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Report: Mike Shanahan's comments bother Redskins

Hunter_R

Bang, you are right on about this issue. We were all beside ourselves last year because "Mike lied to us" when he said he believed in Grossman/Beck. Now we are all beside ourselves because he told the truth? He said it was a "must win" game last week and they completely ignored him. . . . oh and it WAS a must win game.

From my perspective (which I happen to think is close to Shanny's) - get on board with turning this around or get out. That's what his message was and if Lorenzo Alexander or any of these other prima donnas don't like it they can leave. If you aren't part of the solution - you are part of the problem. Shanny isn't going anywhere. Snyder would be INSANE IMO to fire Shanny. 5 years. That's how long he said it would take. Give it to him. Give him 5 years in my opinion. If I am GM, he's got two more seasons.

Bang, you are right on about this issue. We were all beside ourselves last year because "Mike lied to us" when he said he believed in Grossman/Beck. Now we are all beside ourselves because he told the truth? He said it was a "must win" game last week and they completely ignored him. . . . oh and it WAS a must win game.

1 - People were not besides themselves that mike lied about Grossman and Beck. In fact it was the exact opposite. Shanahan fans were screaming that Mike was obviously lying after the season when it became apparent that both QBs were absolute ****. The other side was pointing at that statement as evidence that Shanahan didn't know what he was doing and that he clearly backed the wrong horse.

2 - No one is mad that Shanahan told the truth. He didn't. The truth is the the Redskins are not out of it and that it is far too early to be looking at anything other than playing the Eagles November 18th. The truth is the Redskins have played exactly one division game. The truth is the Redskins are 2 games outside of the final playoff spot and 3 games out of the division lead with seven games remaining. Are the odds long? Sure, but they don't pay Mike or the players to think about odds. They pay them to go out there and win games.

Considering that Mike owns records of 6-10 and 5-11 maybe Mike should stop worrying about next year entirely. It's not promised. He should be focusing on winning more than 6 games and showing people that he knows what he's doing.

How is our secondary doing this year, is the point don't you think?

Yes, and that is my point. Our secondary isn't going to improve if we have over-paid malcontents who don't want to be here, refuse to listen to the advice of our coaching and medical staffs, and who will gladly wear street clothes on Sundays if they get a hang nail.

The man just said what everybody knows...

Problem is...It is TABOO to say it.

The word is "unprofessional" not taboo. 2 games out of a playoff spot with 7 games left to play is not the time to be thinking and talking about next season and beyond. The Eagles game should be his all consuming focus. That is a must win game as it's within the division and at home. Plus there is something to be said for the concept of progress. After winning 6 and 5 games the previous two seasons you'd think that simply winning 8 this year would be a goal worth keeping your head down and fighting for.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 04:01 PM ----------

Yes, and that is my point. Our secondary isn't going to improve if we have over-paid malcontents who don't want to be here, refuse to listen to the advice of our coaching and medical staffs, and who will gladly wear street clothes on Sundays if they get a hang nail.

I haven't heard very good things about the Redskins medical staff, have you?

Thank you, Bang. Thank you.

As I've stated before, I'm angrier at Mike for allowing the media to have something to feed the rage in the fickle than I am with anything he said. When read in context, it's clear he didn't mean he's giving up per se, but only that he's got to re-evaluate what he thinks of this team and its players. Lorenzo shouldnt feed into this either and go ask his coach before he says anything. Whatever, it is what it is now. Just going to get worse now.

Thank you Bang. The media is at it again. They are trying to drive a wedge between the players and the coach. He clarified it very well at the press conference. He's got to evaluate the players because they are not playing at all well and making dumb mistakes like talking to UnWise Mike. Mike is going to have to make very clear what he means in future press conferences. His comments were make right after a very bad loss. That's why players can't talk to the press for 15 minutes after the game is over. Makes sense.

1 - People were not besides themselves that mike lied about Grossman and Beck. In fact it was the exact opposite. Shanahan fans were screaming that Mike was obviously lying after the season when it became apparent that both QBs were absolute ****. The other side was pointing at that statement as evidence that Shanahan didn't know what he was doing and that he clearly backed the wrong horse.

2 - No one is mad that Shanahan told the truth. He didn't. The truth is the the Redskins are not out of it and that it is far too early to be looking at anything other than playing the Eagles November 18th. The truth is the Redskins have played exactly one division game. The truth is the Redskins are 2 games outside of the final playoff spot and 3 games out of the division lead with seven games remaining. Are the odds long? Sure, but they don't pay Mike or the players to think about odds. They pay them to go out there and win games.

Considering that Mike owns records of 6-10 and 5-11 maybe Mike should stop worrying about next year entirely. It's not promised. He should be focusing on winning more than 6 games and showing people that he knows what he's doing.

For the record I still agree with Shanny that while he didn't phrase it well, he also never actually said he was going into evaluation mode or playing younger players or giving up on the season or any of that. The media ran with a phrase that is traditionally used in that context "evaluation" but HE never actually said he was giving up on the season. In fact he specifically pointed out that he was well aware that they were still "statistically" in it, but he was absolutely right on in two things: 1) It was a must-win game. 2) Every player on this team is being evaluated for how they respond to this situation. It is Mike's way or the highway and you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. I am 100% behind his statements and these players crying over it is ridiculous.

I haven't heard very good things about the Redskins medical staff, have you?
I've only heard negative things about them from the malcontents that were let go, traded, or allowed to go elsewhere who complain about EVERYTHING when it comes to this team. And, even with the number of players that fit the description I just posted, it has only been a small fraction of them that have complained about our medical staff. Those that have, usually do so because they failed to listen to the staff and things didn't work out for them; Lavar, Landry, etc. I honestly can't think of one person who has complained about the medical staff that actually listened to them and took their advice.

I honestly don't know why we're debating Landry's health. He's 100% no surgery required on the Achilles. He's currently he starting Safety for the NY Jets and has put up pretty strong numbers this year.

Anybody want to compare his numbers this year to our current safeties?? Taylor36 you can pull he stats if you like!

I'm sorry but there were several reports during the 2010 season that claimed Rogers wanted to remain in DC and was open to negotiating a contract but we elected to observe his performance during the season before we made an offer!

He was our best cover corner

LaRon Landry is 100% and he didn't have the surgery our trainers claimed he needed or else! He told the staff he was fine and it looks like or training staff GOT IT WRONG AGAIN

Even when he played hurt he's better than what we have at the position now. The irony of not resigning him due to injury and the players we sign to replace him are INJURED!

Fail

EDIT:

Article, Los is quoted as saying HE WANTS TO COME BACK

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/carlos-rogers/carlos-rogers-win-award-from-r.html

So a new HC and GM are just supposed to offer a player with a history of dropping gimmes a multi-year deal without evaluating him.

And from your article:

Rogers said he hopes the Redskins make him a multiyear contract offer, because he believes they are headed in the right direction under Coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.
Key phrase there: "multiyear contract offer." Rogers eventually settled for a 4.25M, 1 year deal in San Fran, the highest bidder for his services.

What that means is, Rogers OBJECTIVELY was not worth what he DEMANDED from this front office. So they made the correct business and football decision and let him walk.

I honestly don't know why we're debating Landry's health. He's 100% no surgery required on the Achilles. He's currently he starting Safety for the NY Jets and has put up pretty strong numbers this year.

Anybody want to compare his numbers this year to our current safeties?? Taylor36 you can pull he stats if you like!

We're debating it because apparently some people don't realize that you don't pay 6.5M to a guy who had played in 50% of games over two years, and who there was no good reason to believe would be healthy in the next year, outside of that guy saying "I feel good coach" despite medical professionals saying otherwise. So he's healthy now, good for him. Could you be certain of that going into free agency, after being placed on IR near the end of the year last year?

The fact is, the secondary was a priority this offseason, but the cap penalty screwed it all up. We could have had Carr or Finnegan here, instead we had to pass. Same thing with RT, we might have had Winston, but the penalty screwed us there too. As for safety, we addressed it as best we could considering the circumstances, and yet we were thwarted by things outside our control. Meriweather's injury and Jackson's suspension are not something Shanahan had control over. And it certainly doesn't help that Gomes isn't developing, and that Haslett has been pretty poor all around.

Shanahan does deserve some of the blame for the secondary, but his actions were hardly the only reason for the problems there. And if he had acted to address the secondary in a sufficient manner, it would almost certainly have resulted in RGIII not being here right now.

And from your article:

Key phrase there: "multiyear contract offer." Rogers eventually settled for a 4.25M, 1 year deal in San Fran, the highest bidder for his services.

What that means is, Rogers OBJECTIVELY was not worth what he DEMANDED from this front office. So they made the correct business and football decision and let him walk.

Is that how judgments are made in fantasy land? How wonderfully generous! Who could have known at the time I mean "objectively" and all that? WHO CARES?! They don't pay the staff to make reasonably defensible decisions, they pay them to make the right decisions.

He proved himself and got a multi year contract while the redskins enjoy a secondary that can't cover there own shame. Letting him walk was a mistake. That may leave us bitter but its hardly the only decision that proved itself to be a mistake in time.

Is that how judgments are made in fantasy land? How wonderfully generous! Who could have known at the time I mean "objectively" and all that? WHO CARES?! They don't pay the staff to make reasonably defensible decisions, they pay them to make the right decisions.

He proved himself and got a multi year contract while the redskins enjoy a secondary that can't cover there own shame. Letting him walk was a mistake. That may leave us bitter but its hardly the only decision that proved itself to be a mistake in time.

You're basically criticizing the front office for not being clairvoyant. At the end of 2010 could the front office had known that they would be hit with a major cap penalty right before free agency 2012? Could they have anticipated that they'd have no 2nd rounder in 2012 due to a trade up for a QB? Could they have anticipated that Rogers, who was playing like a $4M a year CB, would suddenly start playing like an 8M a year CB? Could they have anticipated that their safeties would fail, specifically that Landry would only play a half a season in 2011 (Landry has his own laundry list of what ifs), or that Meriweather would get injured for half a season, or Otogwe would smack a wall at age 31, or that Jackson would get suspended?

You make the best decision at the time. If it ends up failing, it ends up failing. Hindsight is 20/20, if the best decision at the time becomes simply reasonably defensible, you deal with it.

Again, Shanahan takes some of the blame, but, there were, and are, many factors beyond his control in the secondary.

Just thought I'd throw in what a couple of true leaders among the players have said recently:

“He was not very pleased with the way it was handled in the media,” tight end Chris Cooley said of Shanahan’s explanation to the players. “He was very clear to us about that. We get that. It’s happened to all of us.”

Offensive lineman Trent Williams said he didn’t need a clarification from Shanahan.

“We didn’t take it out of context,” Williams said. “I think [the media] made a bigger deal about it than what we thought it was. We’re all good here.”

I'm a little angry about Lorenzo coming out almost immediately and saying something instead of following up with this coach first, but he's the type of player you can forgive easily.

Click here for the link to the entire story

umm nothing wrong with what mike shannahan said,

The defense is pathetic and they are not playing well. The wrs are dropping passes. They should be worried about their job. Its not coaching its the players. dropping passes, missing tackles, getting beat in double covered safety help, and not getting to the QB is not a coaching problem. We are not executing and players should be worried about their job.

You cannot win when hall makes stupid plays. Morgan, Stinkerson, and pretty much every WR besides moss have been dropping passes every game and more then once in many cases. The defense is missing tackles left and right, the cbs are getting beat on easy routes. They should be worried about being fired end of the season.

No, he did not prove himself. Performing for one season and then falling back in to his old ways is not proving one's self. If he could have shown that it wasn't just a fluke season, then you could say that. Sure he got the multi-year contract, but I'm very happy it wasn't the Redskins who got duped into that mistake. Rogers will be cut after next season if he continues to play the way he has played all but one season of his career. And, no one will be offering anything close to what he got from San Fran and wanted from us.

Almost laughable how our coach and team are regressing and giving up 3 years in, while watching the Colts and thier team of rookies, in the 1st year of a defensive 3-4/4-3 switch, playing desciplined ball and winning the games they should.. Makes or team and coaching staff look like ameture hour.. :(

Almost laughable how our coach and team are regressing and giving up 3 years in, while watching the Colts and thier team of rookies, in the 1st year of a defensive 3-4/4-3 switch, playing desciplined ball and winning the games they should.. Makes or team and coaching staff look like ameture hour.. :(

almost laughable how any fan can say the team is "giving up"..none of you are at the facility. none of you know what the team is thinking. how can any of you say the team is giving up?

almost laughable how any fan can say the team is "giving up"..none of you are at the facility. none of you know what the team is thinking. how can any of you say the team is giving up?

They might haven't given up, but it's night and day looking at the Colts and Skins. No one, I mean no one can dispute that. I've fallen for the, "be patient" line year after year. No more. I've seen too many times where teams that are supposed to rebuilding and teams that lose key players still continue to win.

This team is laughable minus RG3 and Morris.

They might haven't given up, but it's night and day looking at the Colts and Skins. No one, I mean no one can dispute that. I've fallen for the, "be patient" line year after year. No more. I've seen too many times where teams that are supposed to rebuilding and teams that lose key players still continue to win.

ok u got a point there.

Colts are laughable minus Luck and Wayne. What's your point?

Nevermind that the Colts are in one of the weaker divisions in the NFL.

Colts are laughab

le minus Luck and Wayne. What's your point?

Dude, scoreboard. I could care less what division they're in. Right now, they're handling their business and they look like they're getting better.

And you talk about their division, look at our division.

Colts are laughable minus Luck and Wayne. What's your point?

This. I'm truly wishing that a lot of the "the grass is greener" crowd would just run up to Luck's ample bosom and start nursing.

Shanny got his guy in RG3. He flipped the offense in two years, and he'll flip the defensive backfield this year. We are closer than people think. This year has been an unfortunate snowball that I will wipe clean from my head in about two months. A win vs. The Eagles would be the best medicine.

This. I'm truly wishing that a lot of the "the grass is greener" crowd would just run up to Luck's ample bosom and start nursing.

Shanny got his guy in RG3. He flipped the offense in two years, and he'll flip the defensive backfield this year. We are closer than people think. This year has been an unfortunate snowball that I will wipe clean from my head in about two months. A win vs. The Eagles would be the best medicine.

No one is saying they'd rather have Luck than RG3. I'm extremely happy we got him. BUT, let's not play dumb. Virtually everyone said RG3 was coming to the NFL in a much better situation. The Colts were supposed to be one of the worst teams in football. Look at them. They're in the playoff hunt and we're (once again) is a disaster.

Dude, scoreboard. I could care less what division they're in. Right now, they're handling their business and they look like they're getting better.

And you talk about their division, look at our division.

You're right. They're "handling their business" in one of the weaker divisions in the NFL. When the Seahawks won their division at 7-9, they "handled their business" too. Were the Giants and Bucs worse teams because they didn't make the playoffs at 10-6?

OK, I'll look at our division. We've played one division game, against the best team in the division, and almost won. The Colts have played 3 games, against the bottom feeders of their division (and they lost one of them - and won one in OT). When we start playing the division games, then you can argue division for the Skins.

No one is saying they'd rather have Luck than RG3. I'm extremely happy we got him. BUT, let's not play dumb. Virtually everyone said RG3 was coming to the NFL in a much better situation. The Colts were supposed to be one of the worst teams in football. Look at them. They're in the playoff hunt and we're (once again) is a disaster.

The Colts have had a cupcake schedule for the most part, even if you ignore how weak that division is aside from Houston.

This season is a disappointment, yes. But I'm not playing dumb. I think our roster is in a better position to build a championship team vs. a team that overachieves and makes the playoffs every once in a while. That's why I'm not sweating this season as hard as many fans are.

The Colts are overachieving, but I think it's fool's gold. Luck is the real deal, but get back to me when they win a playoff game.

Archived