Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Shanahan's given up, what hope do we really have with him? A pretty darn disappointed and disillusioned long time backer of the HC.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I don't think its a personnel issue at all. We simply don't do attack downfield often despite having the best downfield thrower from last years draft. Tannehill throws downfield more and who does he have at WR?

Not Anthony Armstrong, who failed in his second chance in Miami.

Somebody brought up a great point but weren't at least 1/2 of us fans asking for this last year? If he'd have "evaluated" players last year we might have lost out and not given up all those picks for RG3. Oh well, can't expect coaches to be that forward thinking lol.

Daddy & son act getting old real fast in Redskins nation

Haha, you mean 3 years and a 13 - 27 record. too long.... who knows, maybe the old washed up coach will get us to 8-8 and 3-3 in the divison. at least show some improvement.........

Shanahan is mad as hell and I don't blame him for saying what he has said. Some players on this team are killing the season and no matter what he has said or done they don't listen. How the hell do you win games when your defense stinks up the joint every week because of bad coaching and poor tackling. Prime example was when Carolina had a 3rd and 4 and the Redskins lined up 4 guys to the left with no one in the middle. Hellllloooo! Newton runs up the middle for 10+yards to keep the drive alive. Then to top that off they had 13, Let me say that again 13 penalties which makes them the NFL leader in penalties as a team. Wow! How can you win games when you lead the league in penalties? This team is undisciplined and hasn't learned that being mistake free is the way to go. The defense before Haslett took over was # 4 and # 10 the two years prior. Under Haslett they have been 29th, 13th and now 31st so far. So why did we hire Haslett and change the defense? OH! that's right. All because we werent't creating enough turnovers. You might as well call us the second worst team in the NFL behind Cleveland and week 15 might be the battle of the trophy for worst team in the NFL. So I guess that we gave the Rams two treats this year. We will give them another top 10 pick and a win. So Shanahan might have said it out of anger and frustration but nothing has changed in the last 10+ years except players and coaches. They still shoot themselves in the foot and make bad investments in players that don't perform. The only good investments they have made in players are RGIII (if he doesn't get hurt), Morris, and it is hard to name another guy worth naming. Everyone else seems to be playing for a paycheck and nothing more.

I don't think its a personnel issue at all. We simply don't do attack downfield often despite having the best downfield thrower from last years draft. Tannehill throws downfield more and who does he have at WR?

Does Tannenhill have an OL in front of him more designed to pass pro, than say one that is more lightweight, and fleet of foot?

I feel like we have to move RG3 around to buy time because our OL is just getting blown up in traditional pocket pass protection. Only, we largely don't roll out 3, move the pocket on designed plays. Its all him improvising.

I do think our defense is worse than our OL, however. Changing to a 3-4 three years ago (assuming this one is now over as he said), how many more years does it need? Its the scheme... its the personnel... well, which is it?

I can't remember who said it, but I'm starting to come around to the train of thought that the Shanahans are riding on Griffin's athleticism and not his throwing ability. If they can't develop him into a passer, I have no problems with cleaning the entire coaching staff. I've said as much all day. Griffin needs to throw more just like the other rookie qbs. The time to "protect him" is over.
Seems like everyone is jumping off bandwagon. RG111 and Shanny were the greatest thing on earth when we were scoring 30 points a game. Now everyone thinks Shanny isn't developing our QB properly.Just another case of fare weathered fans

I hate that I feel this way but I agree with the OP. I have agreed with the coaches decisions all year so far through the good and the bad, but about half way through the game today I turned to my brothers and started doubting Shanahan. I hate to even type this but I want a new coaching staff, a staff with some balls.

Seems like everyone is jumping off bandwagon. RG111 and Shanny were the greatest thing on earth when we were scoring 30 points a game. Now everyone thinks Shanny isn't developing our QB properly.Just another case of fare weathered fans

Good luck finding a post from me being on the bandwagon.

Here's why I'm concerned...

RGIII looked unstoppable during the quarter of the season. He's crashed back down to earth a bit since then. Even if it is just a coincidence, that lends some credibility to the opinion that you can "get the book" on our rookie QB and offense.

There is no reason griffin can't run the same offense we ran with Grossman last year...he's a better passer and certainly more mobile. If he mastered that offense he could play for 15 years with his skill set. So, Griffin is still promising and Shanahan is going to get a 4th season, so let's see how things play out.

Some of the players he inherited:

John Elway, Shannon Sharpe, Gary Zimmerman, Tom Nalen, Steve A****er, Jason Elam, and Tom Rouen. 3/5 of that top flight offensive line was already in place, along with the awesome HOF QB, kicker, and receiving TE. Not exactly a bare cupboard.

With no cap room or high draft pick' date=' I honestly have no idea how this roster is gonna get better next year.[/quote']

Well, the roster will at least return our top two pass catchers and best pass rusher and pretty much anyone is an upgrade in the secondary. I understand the frustration, but I really think some of you are overlooking the impact of injuries to this year's team. In all my years watching football, I can't recall a Redskins team losing this many key players so early in the year.

Notice how much the offense has suffered since Fred Davis was lost for the year? I don't think we've adjusted to his loss. He was huge at opening up the field for our WRs. Now teams can focus on our average WRs. No one is worried about Logan Paulsen.

Yeah, but we weren't taking any shots deep early in the year.

This makes zero sense with the arm under center they now have.

Hail.

Does Tannenhill have an OL in front of him more designed to pass pro, than say one that is more lightweight, and fleet of foot? ...............................Its the scheme... its the personnel... well, which is it?

The Dolphins runs a ZBS too. And although there OL is more talented we good pass protection when we throw off play-action and we throw off play-action more then any team in the NFL according to Greg Cosell.

Imo the lack of deep passing is scheme. I'm sure part of the thought process is to maintain ball control and be more effiecient on offense.

Nope. Some were saying this amidst all the early season back slapping and glad handing. Being objective is not the same thing as being fair weather. Would you let me piss on your leg and tell you its raining?

Some of the players he inherited:

John Elway' date=' Shannon Sharpe, Gary Zimmerman, Tom Nalen, Steve A****er, Jason Elam, and Tom Rouen. 3/5 of that top flight offensive line was already in place, along with the awesome HOF QB, kicker, and receiving TE. Not exactly a bare cupboard.[/quote']

No one said the cupboard was bare. However, you said:

If you look at the roster he won with in 97'' date=' you'd see that most of those players were on the team in 94' under Wade Phillips. All Shanahan did was add Terrell Davis. Shanahan has never had to build a team from scratch, and yet we've entrusted him with all player acquisitions.[/quote']

Now to me, most =/= 6 of 22 starters. It's an exaggeration to make a point that I don't view holds water.

Ironically, he completely rebuild the defense, and took a good offense and made it the best in the NFL. He had built teams (with the help of John Beake). He has a great drafting record, and a mediocre free agent record.

(FWIW, I think Shanahan is lost and is on the verge of losing the team much like Haslett has lost the defense. I do not think, however, that he can not construct a team, as we have empirical proof of him doing just that in Denver, unless you don't count adding 16 of 22 starters "building a team.")

With no cap room or high draft pick' date=' I honestly have no idea how this roster is gonna get better next year.[/quote']

Cut Hall, Moss, Brown, and Fletcher. 11M, 5.8M, 2.4M, and 7.25M right there between those 4. Pray that Keenan Robinson is ready for prime-time alongside Riley, or re-sign Goff and try and get him back into playing shape. Hope that Meriweather can hold down SS. Give Jairus Byrd anything and everything he wants to get him here. Him and DRC.

Bribe Talib away from NE after the season with a promise that if he plays here for 5 seasons, then at 31 Snyder will buy him a home abroad and supply him with whatever illicit drugs he wants...forever.

Draft Aboushi in the 2nd, and another safety in the 3rd, just in case. Have Jenkins pack on 15-20 lbs and move him to NT.

Oh, and hope Carriker and Orakpo heal well.

Opening day on defense would have: Bowen, Jenkins, Cofield/Carriker, Kerrigan, Orakpo, Riley, Robinson/Goff, DRC, Talib, Byrd, and Meriweather. That group of 11 would probably do alright, and could probably happen with the right offseason moves.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the ball, target someone like Swope in the mid-rounds for the slot to replace Moss, and be sure to get a RT with the 2nd rounder. And for the love of all that is good and holy TEACH THE RUNNING BACKS TO BLOCK!

As for the OP, I don't like Shanahan talking like the season's over, but he does realize that there is an overhaul to be done here.

My hope is, we come out 2 weeks from now with a completely different look. We've got the bye, let's get Garcon and Meriweather healthy, and get ourselves ready for week 11.

Archived