Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Kevin Garnett-Ray Allen Issue

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Am I alone in thinking that this could not be more irrelevant? Ray jumped to the enemy, KG didn't like it. So he didn't hug him or dap him up and send him a "hey I still love you" card, boo hoo.

And then we have people saying, "is this what we want to teach our kids when they play." Guess what, your little rec league is a bit different than professional basketball, these are grown men, not children.

I'm glad he did it, this is what sports should be. Teams need to go back to legitimately despising each other. Rivalries in every sport minus probably hockey are really just through fan bases at this point.

Kevin Garnett is generally considered to be a dick, and needs to tone it down often, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I wish other players were a little more like him. I know the players are all in the same union, are often friends off court, etc. I guess I wish their attitude reflected my attittude towards fans of other teams in the stands; at least a moderate level of dislike.

I thought the Celtics choose not to resign him. Allen is an older guy and as a perimeter player loosing a step or a little off your eye sight is fatal.

So the Celtics choose to use Allen's money to get more depth. On the other hand the Celtics did choose to resign KG.. Frankly I think Allen's work

ethic and Celtic killer instinct are more valuable to Miami. Allen got that from the Celtics and the way they approach the game, he didn't bring it nor take

it from the Celtics when he left. But he's certainly adopted it and embraced it and he will show Miami how team oriented professionals approach the game.

I think KG's avoidance of his by all measure good friend is just KG getting his game face on. KG is a fierce competitor. With the Depth they've gleaned from

Allen's contact savings the Celtics have added a lot of depth. They are as loaded as they've been in years. No doubt they are gunning for Miami who will have

to really step up to return the the NBA finals. As any Celtic can tell you, it's always harder to return two years in a row.

I thought the Celtics choose not to resign him. Allen is an older guy and as a perimeter player loosing a step or a little off your eye sight is fatal.

So the Celtics choose to use Allen's money to get more depth. On the other hand the Celtics did choose to resign KG.. Frankly I think Allen's work

ethic and Celtic killer instinct are more valuable to Miami. Allen got that from the Celtics and the way they approach the game, he didn't bring it nor take

it from the Celtics when he left. But he's certainly adopted it and embraced it and he will show Miami how team oriented professionals approach the game.

I think KG's avoidance of his by all measure good friend is just KG getting his game face on. KG is a fierce competitor. With the Depth they've gleaned from

Allen's contact savings the Celtics have added a lot of depth. They are as loaded as they've been in years. No doubt they are gunning for Miami who will have

to really step up to return the the NBA finals. As any Celtic can tell you, it's always harder to return two years in a row.

Allen turned down a 2 year $12 million deal with the C's for a 2 year $6 million deal with the Heat.

Am I alone in thinking that this could not be more irrelevant? Ray jumped to the enemy, KG didn't like it. So he didn't hug him or dap him up and send him a "hey I still love you" card, boo hoo.

And then we have people saying, "is this what we want to teach our kids when they play." Guess what, your little rec league is a bit different than professional basketball, these are grown men, not children.

I'm glad he did it, this is what sports should be. Teams need to go back to legitimately despising each other. Rivalries in every sport minus probably hockey are really just through fan bases at this point.

Exactly

And the irony is that the people who are complaining about KG not dapping up Ray Allen and the Celtics animosity towards the Heat and vice versa are the same ones who are upset about players being friends and the "AAU culture" in sports.

Kenny Smith summed it up pretty well during halftime.

The Celtics have spent the last 2 years absolutely despising everything about the Heat and trying to do any and everything they could to beat them.

So the fact that Ray jumped ship and took quite a bit less money to do so makes the other players sit back and say "oh, so you really just wanted to be over there the whole time?". Personally, I would probably be the same way and Ray took an easy root for another (possible) title as opposed to staying and being remembered as one of the great Celtics.

Kenny Smith summed it up pretty well during halftime.

The Celtics have spent the last 2 years absolutely despising everything about the Heat and trying to do any and everything they could to beat them.

So the fact that Ray jumped ship and took quite a bit less money to do so makes the other players sit back and say "oh, so you really just wanted to be over there the whole time?". Personally, I would probably be the same way and Ray took an easy root for another (possible) title as opposed to staying and being remembered as one of the great Celtics.

Didn't the Celtics want to trade Allen last season anyways.

I would imagine that KG feels a sense of betrayal from Ray. The Celtics/Heat dynamic is one of extreme loathing for each other. It's real- not manufactured or imagined.

I don't think that either option in the poll has universal merit. This is a singular circumstance with many factors involved. It is what it is.

Ray Allen didn't so much choose to play with the enemy as Boston completely disrespected him and got what was coming to them. Boston can's whine about him leaving for Miami when they spent how long trying to trade him and talking about how washed up he was?

That said, KG's cattiness is harmless and it's fun. The game's are more fun when there is emotional investment so long as it doesn't get dirty and unprofessional.

Neither. I think what KG did was perfectly acceptable but I don't think sports should or should not follow his example. His not wanting to be friendly with Ray Allen is his choice and he has every right to make it. I'm not a person that thinks rival players should hate each other or that players that don't like each other should pretend to be friendly.

Totally overhyped but I like it. Wish that there was more of it in sports today.

I remember reading an article about how Joe Bugel was on the sidelines giving the finger to the Cowboys bench. Definitely not a good example for kids but...that'd be awesome today.

That game sparked more memories than just about anything. Starke remembered how Bugel had quit smoking that season, but as the game grew closer and closer, he suddenly slipped off the wagon and became a chain-smoking maniac: "All week, Buges had been urging us to keep our composure, stay in control, and then by the third quarter, he's holding up both middle fingers, pointing them across the sideline and telling (Cowboys defensive coach Ernie) Stautner, 'F--- you!!!!!' He was more out of control than anybody!"

Off topic but just a good, fun read about the Hogs: http://espn.go.com/page2/wash/s/simmons/020314.html

Archived