Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Midget Fans: Why John Mara cheated

SkinsHokieFan

I get the eagerness for success, but what's baffling is people here are all tied up in knots because we can't do the very thing that brought us misery in the first place.

The irony

I secretly love it. Fiscal responsibility out of circumstances we can't control has set in and surprisingly its going to make us stronger. John saved us from ourselves. He should be worried about his own backyard and in turn, we'll beat them year in/out. The new skins are going to need some patience from the fans. The great teams don't go blowing money in March. You add a piece here and there and draft well in April. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but typically this is a proven strategy.

I get the eagerness for success, but what's baffling is people here are all tied up in knots because we can't do the very thing that brought us misery in the first place.

we have a front office we have confidence in to make proper moves instead of the moves that just look good on paper

We didn't need to be "saved from ourselves" that makes no sense. MS and BA would be doing things the exact same way if we had cap space. There is nothing to suggest they would be going crazy like the Miami Dolphins and overpaying everyone. Nothing. Not having cap space prevents us from building our team. We would still be targeting younger cheaper guys entering their prime but we would be able to actually get them.

With cap space, imagine if we signed Winston, A safety like Delmas and, Talib and resigned Davis all of which we could have done, signing them to team friendly affordable contracts. We could have done that and it would not have meant we were going crazy in FA like the old Redskins. We would be so much better its ridiculous and it should anger you that we can't improve the team.

This notion that we needed the penalty or its helped us and made us financially responsible is a bunch of garbage honestly, no offense. Mike and Bruce already had that under control and are being screwed over from improving our team that we love and making us serious Super Bowl contenders.

we have a front office we have confidence in to make proper moves instead of the moves that just look good on paper

We'll still find a way to make those moves and of course we should have faith in the F.O but in my opinion the egregiousness of what happened out weighs the actual damage.

Because that's nonsense. We weren't unsuccessful because we spent money. That's just a simplistic and wrong diagnosis about the problems the franchise had.

That's a huge reason why we were unsuccessful show me how that's wrong?

I have to disprove a silly concept like adding talent makes teams bad?

Put it this way- since Gibbs came back, the team had a top 10 defense almost every year until recently. The vast majority of the key players on that D (Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington, London Fletcher, Cornellius Griffin, Philip Daniels, Andre Carter) were free agents. Why don't you provide some kind of proof that the team would have been better off without the players who made the defense good?

This notion that we needed the penalty or its helped us and made us financially responsible is a bunch of garbage honestly, no offense. Mike and Bruce already had that under control and are being screwed over from improving our team that we love and making us serious Super Bowl contenders.

It is total garbage. Shanahan said the cap space equates to about 5 or 6 top players on your roster and without doubt it's cost us 2 or 3 top quality free agents in both 2012 & 2013.

This roster would have been set up to rip our division to pieces.

I understand the rationale for some in trying to find some kind of fault with the Redskins in this situation. I get it. In order for you to move on from this, you have to try to find fault on both sides so you can feel better about this whole thing.

The reality is far different though.

The reality, is the NFL is literally screwing over one of it's oldest and most successful franchises with no legal or ethical basis to do so. It really is that simple, and I see why that is hard for some people to accept. The Washington Redskins, the team that you love so much, that your life revolves around on Sundays in the Fall and during the off-season has been deliberately and vindictively handicapped in an attempt to stop it's rise back up from the bottom dwelling teams of the NFL. There really is no other way of looking at it. When you take that much money from a team, you are literally trying to cause them to fail.

For me, the people who should be most angry about this are the season ticket holders. You will be paying top dollar to watch a team this fall that the NFL has deliberately tried to prevent from winning their games. Although, the NFL will have no problem distributing the money you pay to watch the Redskins to other lesser market teams who's very existence is owed to the Redskins and a couple of others.

Think about that

I have to disprove a silly concept like adding talent makes teams bad?

Put it this way- since Gibbs came back, the team had a top 10 defense almost every year until recently. The vast majority of the key players on that D (Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington, London Fletcher, Cornellius Griffin, Philip Daniels, Andre Carter) were free agents. Why don't you provide some kind of proof that the team would have been better off without the players who made the defense good?

It all boils down to who you spend the $ on, not how much you spend.

i understand the rationale for some in trying to find some kind of fault with the redskins in this situation. I get it. In order for you to move on from this, you have to try to find fault on both sides so you can feel better about this whole thing.

the reality is far different though.

the reality, is the nfl is literally screwing over one of it's oldest and most successful franchises with no legal or ethical basis to do so. It really is that simple, and i see why that is hard for some people to accept. The washington redskins, the team that you love so much, that your life revolves around on sundays in the fall and during the off-season has been deliberately and vindictively handicapped in an attempt to stop it's rise back up from the bottom dwelling teams of the nfl. There really is no other way of looking at it. When you take that much money from a team, you are literally trying to cause them to fail.

For me, the people who should be most angry about this are the season ticket holders. You will be paying top dollar to watch a team this fall that the nfl has deliberately tried to prevent from winning their games. Although, the nfl will have no problem distributing the money you pay to watch the redskins to other lesser market teams who's very existence is owed to the redskins and a couple of others.

think about that

This. 1000% HTTR

And all these years I thought i was just being paranoid about the league being against the Redskins.Who knew ?i take solice in the fact that they will get theres in return for what they have done.

We won't get any retribution except on the field. This was a hatchet job against two disliked owners. This league is run by Mara, Rooney, and Kraft. Goddell is their puppet.

Am I the only one that thinks the vendetta against Washington and Dallas stems from our salary cap "circumvention efforts" in years long before 2010, in maneuvers limited to the teams that have lots of cash?

The fixation on 2010 is laughable, that was the only year others joined into our violating of the spirit of the league shenanigans. I think that was just the year in which Mara and the other owners said enough was enough. I think it is so obvious that this has been brewing for long before 2010.

Face it, we all turned a blind eye when we were able to add all those high ticket free agents seemingly year after year. I think it caught up to us.

Is it legal or not? It clearly does not matter. The fact the penalty is imposed and not overturned speaks volumes, here in the land of the law firms.

We won't get any retribution except on the field. This was a hatchet job against two disliked owners. This league is run by Mara, Rooney, and Kraft. Goddell is their puppet.

Yeah, when you compare what the Redskins did to what Belicheat did, you really have to scratch your head and wonder wtf is going on in the NFL. A team cheats by recording the opposing teams practice at the Super Bowl and loses a 2nd round draft pick. Belicheat gets fined $500k. Big deal. No suspension. Nothing.

I know there's tons of "what if's" to do with this scenario, but what if the Redskins didn't draft AlMo & RG3 last year? This franchise would be crippled with the loss of $36M. Crippled. A team cheats, ruining the integrity of the game and loses a 2nd round pick. SMFH....I hate Commissioner Gordon as much as I hate Mara.

Cowboy and Redskins fans like to blame Mara for this. He was the head of a committee that all agreed and was acting on behalf of all of the other owners. The Redskins and Cowboys broke solidarity with all of the other owners. In the end, the other owners made the two teams pay.

I understand the rationale for some in trying to find some kind of fault with the Redskins in this situation. I get it. In order for you to move on from this, you have to try to find fault on both sides so you can feel better about this whole thing.

The reality is far different though.

The reality, is the NFL is literally screwing over one of it's oldest and most successful franchises with no legal or ethical basis to do so. It really is that simple, and I see why that is hard for some people to accept. The Washington Redskins, the team that you love so much, that your life revolves around on Sundays in the Fall and during the off-season has been deliberately and vindictively handicapped in an attempt to stop it's rise back up from the bottom dwelling teams of the NFL. There really is no other way of looking at it. When you take that much money from a team, you are literally trying to cause them to fail.

For me, the people who should be most angry about this are the season ticket holders. You will be paying top dollar to watch a team this fall that the NFL has deliberately tried to prevent from winning their games. Although, the NFL will have no problem distributing the money you pay to watch the Redskins to other lesser market teams who's very existence is owed to the Redskins and a couple of others.

Think about that

This is exactly right. It all comes down to money. The Skins and a few other teams keep a good portion of the NFL financially alive. Skins fans are some of the most loyal fans on earth, and they support the team with their fandom and financially. The league does not care as long as they can keep getting money from the Redskins "golden goose" but the Skins and fans are just supposed to be happy with bottom of the NFC East and 5-11 every year....after all we at least have three superbowls from decades ago. We as fans, can always buy the Super Bowl DVD's.:(

But when he Redskins rise up from this and improve, compete, and win mulitiple Super Bowls it will be that much sweeter because the Skins will have literally beaten the NFL on the field and off of it.:beavisnbutthead:

Yeah, when you compare what the Redskins did to what Belicheat did, you really have to scratch your head and wonder wtf is going on in the NFL. A team cheats by recording the opposing teams practice at the Super Bowl and loses a 2nd round draft pick. Belicheat gets fined $500k. Big deal. No suspension. Nothing.

I know there's tons of "what if's" to do with this scenario, but what if the Redskins didn't draft AlMo & RG3 last year? This franchise would be crippled with the loss of $36M. Crippled. A team cheats, ruining the integrity of the game and loses a 2nd round pick. SMFH....I hate Commissioner Gordon as much as I hate Mara.

It was a late 1st round pick. However, the Patriots broke established, documented rules, and were punished soon after.

The NFL took almost 2 full years to dole out the punishments. They broke no established, written, documented law, and were essentially docked 5-6 top players.

I really, really hope this all comes home to roost on Goddell, Mara and Laurie's heads.

It was made abundantly clear that Goodell was in bed with certain teams after that incident especially once he destroyed the evidence so it would all go away forever. He couldn't let something like that from a flagship franchise at the time come out, especially not for his buddy Craft's team.

Had the Redskins been caught taping another team's practice during the regular season, they would have pinned Dan/Skins to the wall.

Archived