Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Run In Skins History Or......

OxonHillSkinsFan89

if RGIII pulled this exact play in a super bowl to seal the victory i would put it ahead of Riggo's run.

I disagree. You can only get your first Super Bowl win once.

I've been trying to imagine a circumstance where Riggo's run could be eclipsed. The scenario would have to be so improbable as to make me feel foolish for even contemplating it.

But here goes:

It's the Super Bowl. Skins are down by 14 points to start the 4th quarter (largest "comeback" in Super Bowl history is 10 points, by the Skins against the Broncos, and the Saints against the Colts, but both were 1st quarter deficits). They rally for 10 points in the 4th quarter, down by 4 so they need a TD.

Their opponent - let's say an AFC team we all really hate, like the Patriots - get the ball back with 6 minutes left in the game. They put together around a 4 minute drive but are stopped just short of the Redskins 40 yard line and have to punt. It's a great punt with great coverage, downed at the Skins own 1 yard line.

And then RG3 fakes a pitch on an option, slithers through a seemingly impossible crack in the line, jukes a linebacker out of his jockstrap with a wicked stutter-step, stiff-arms a charging safety, and then outruns the fastest CB on the opposing team and goes 99 yards for the winning TD.

That MIGHT do it. Might.

Riggins' Super Bowl run may be the best ever for the 'Skins. It helped break open our first SB win and it was 4th down. If it isn't a run to get into the playoffs or win a playoff game, it just can't complete with Riggo's run.

On a different note, how cool would it be if someone could super-impose the RGIII run with DGreen chasing down Dorsett. I love Robert, but I have no double Green with the right angle, even from across the field, would have caught Robert and tackled him. Love them both, but I'm living in the present and RGIII is special. I so glad he is going to have a long, successful DGreen like career with our 'Skins.

RGIII's run was not the greatest in history, but you know what..It sure felt like those old times. Everyone had that thought creeping into their minds that the game was gonna come down to the D trying to make a stop. Right then and there RGIII killed all worry with that run. It felt like it did back in the day. Here's to more great redskins memories from him!

---------- Post added October-15th-2012 at 05:35 PM ----------

Oh and as for the run itself, i turned to my nephew and pulled up the old Mike Vick video of him sealing the deal against the Vikings in overtime. The run kinda reminded me of that play more than anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFaPFXLK3ZE

RGIII's run was not the greatest in history, but you know what..It sure felt like those old times. Everyone had that thought creeping into their minds that the game was gonna come down to the D trying to make a stop. Right then and there RGIII killed all worry with that run. It felt like it did back in the day. Here's to more great redskins memories from him!

---------- Post added October-15th-2012 at 05:35 PM ----------

Oh and as for the run itself, i turned to my nephew and pulled up the old Mike Vick video of him sealing the deal against the Vikings in overtime. The run kinda reminded me of that play more than anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFaPFXLK3ZE

We're here praising Riggins and RG3 and you put up a video of one of Vick's greatest moments? Dude, seriously?

Yes because the run reminded me of that. ES never changes

Not to pick at you, but do seriously think if Cowboy, Giants and Eagle fans were having a discussion on the greatest moments in team history, do you think anyone would post a video of Riggins' SB run?

Just saying.

Another great Riggins run that hasn't been mentioned which was probably more similar was the close to 75-yard TD run against the Cowboys during the last game of 1979. Similar in that he went down the sideline like RG3 did. The run put the Redskins up 34-21 late in that game and should've given us the division title; unfortunately, Roger Staubach had other ideas, and the 35-34 loss that day still remains as the most painful loss to longtime Skins fans.

Not to pick at you, but do seriously think if Cowboy, Giants and Eagle fans were having a discussion on the greatest moments in team history, do you think anyone would post a video of Riggins' SB run?

Just saying.

No worries man. I just love watching football. At that very moment that run reminded me of Vick's coming out party. With him being somewhat local I root for him (except for the beatdown at FedEx a few years back).

As for team moments, it's up there IMO but nothing tops what I've seen in my time as a fan quite like Riggins' runs in the Super Bowl or Darrell Green's punt return against the Bears clutching his ribs.

If RGIII pulls a td run like that in a Superbowl, it would be somewhat close to Riggins run, but nothing will ever top the 4th & 1 from SB XVII. Riggins run was the supernova of runs, and will be forever, of course with no offense to any other of the forementioned great runs.

Even god himself saw Riggins run and said 'damn that was pretty'...

SIC

only way Riggins run gets topped would be if RGIII does a similar run in the SB to take ahead and stay ahead. And then he and the entire team win another 3 SBs before he retires to the Hall.

Seriously I would put Riggins first, DG at the Bears second, Taylor's (RIP) to the house in the TB wild card game after recovering the fumble 3rd.

No doubt about it...Riggo's run is tops. Case closed. Yesterday's moment was electrifying and gives us hope that this kid will give us plenty memories in future Super Bowls. His blast last night made feel like I did when Riggins broke his run so many years ago. That shot of Darryl Grant above gives me goose bumps too.:point2sky

:giantsuck:

Nothing will ever top the Riggins run.

Edit: At this time, nothing tops the Riggins run. RG3 and the Butler will have opportunities to do such, but this wasn't the Super Bowl, it wasn't 4th down.

To top the Riggins run, it has to be in the SB in at least nearly as meaningful a situation.

Archived