Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Run In Skins History Or......

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Crank up that diesel. waaaahhm waaaaaaahmmm

It's a play that will live forever in the hearts and minds of the Redskins faithful.

"There's the snap, hand to Riggins. Good hole he's got the first down at the 40...He's Gone! The 35 the 30 the 20! He's gone! he's GONE! Touchdown Washington Redskins! Wooooohooooo!"

I just don't see that being beaten.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d825d99a2/Best-Shots-The-Diesel-on-4th-down

Hate to pile on... but 70 Chip will live forever (ok- so that is a little dramatic).

There will never be a first super bowl title, shaking the shadow of the Cowboys and dominating the Dolphins on the ground. With the game in doubt, 4th down- everyone in the world knew what was coming... and no one could stop it.

Long live the Diesel. HTTR. For those of us that watched it- there can never be a greater moment.

It really is one of the iconic plays in SB History as well. Hard pressed to define a greater run, in terms of the big stage, than 70 Chip.

"4th and 1" is the play that one the Redskins their first championship in 40 years. You can't compare yesterday's play that iced a one of the two least important games of the year. This falls more in the "Brunell goes deep for Moss" range than "4th and 1," but probably not even quite that high since the "Brunell to Moss" game happened against the Cowboys on Monday Night Football.

if RGIII pulled this exact play in a super bowl to seal the victory i would put it ahead of Riggo's run.
I definitely disagree. Griffin while he had a great run, was not even touched. Riggins....4th and 1, got caught by a Dolphin and kept his feet moving to not only get the first down, but the touchdown. Still awesome to this day.

I definitely disagree. Griffin while he had a great run, was not even touched. Riggins....4th and 1, got caught by a Dolphin and kept his feet moving to not only get the first down, but the touchdown. Still awesome to this day.

Riggo's run was impressive and it gave us our first SB win ever, so nothing may beat that play because of that reason alone.

However, seeing a QB (not a WR or RB) run for 76 yard TD to ice a game like that is rarely seen. Plenty of RB's rip off long runs. You rarely see a QB take one to the house like that

I'm too young to really remember or even be alive for a good majority of these, but I have enough sense to say that Riggins run was the best. Griffin's 80 yard scramble is up there in my opinion, it most certainly is. I think it edges out Portis' 68 yard TD against the Bucs on his first carry as a Redskin.

Best thing is, RG3 has already had some of the most memorable plays in Redskins recent history, and he is 22 years old and has only played 6 games.

I'd say:

1. Riggins' run.

2. Green's PR.

3. Portis' welcome to Washington.

4. RG3's 76 yarder.

I agree with the first two, but three and four are much lower on my list. Charlie Harraway's 56-yard TD run against the Cowboys in the Cotton Bowl in '71 to help the Skins go to 3-0 is in my top five because winning ANYTHING was still new to Redskins fans at the time. And if we're going to talk about losing-cause runs like DG's rundown of Tony Dorsett, I have no problem throwing in Mike Bass' TD return in Super Bowl VII.

I find it amusing when I read people say "nothing will ever top the Riggins run" and "nothing tops our first Super Bowl". Really? For you maybe but what about the folks who were too young or not alive for that or any of the Super Bowl wins? They view the Riggins play like you or I view Sammy Baugh lighting up the Bears in the 1937 title game. We know it happened. We know it was important. But we were not there so we don't "feel" it. It will be the same for the current and future generations of Redskin fans. The next Super Bowl win will be their first to "feel" and it will be just as big to them as Super Bowl XVII was to my generation and the generation before.

In terms of quality of run, I agree with what a poster said earlier. If Griffin III's Vikings run had been in a Super Bowl it would beat Riggins. I read this thread and it seems as if people only remember the Riggins run as an NFL Films play and not in the actual context of the game itself. It did not win us that game. It did not seal that game. It was a huge play giving the Redskins a 3 point lead with 10 long mins to go. Theismann to Brown just after the 2 min warning actually sealed the game. So at least recall the context accurately.

For me, I still get goosebumps and grin when I watch Darryl Grant's interception return against Dallas. That's my greatest play in Redskin history but I know that for younger fans and future generations, their greatest run/play in Redskin history will be something else. There is no right or wrong answer.

As for Griffin III's run, it's got to be on some list of the most crowd electrifying plays in Jack Kent Cooke Stadium history. Because of who Griffin III is. What we invested in him and the moment in the game, it's got to be the biggest play at home since at least Moss' OT TD against Jacksonville in 2006.

There's no need to compare it to the riggo run. But this play was special in it's own way. The Redskins have lacked the benefit of the doubt on everything thanks to Dan and Vinny doing stupid things for so long. Some folks came around with Shanny, but were not truly on board yet. First 5 games this year, more people come on board but are still in doubt. This play is a milestone. Not because we think RG3's going to run for 76 yd touchdowns all the time, but because it just made you believe from now on.

If (and when) then Redskins are one of the most dominant, feared teams in the NFL in a few years, we ought to look back to this play. Sure it snapped a home losing streak blah blah blah. It can't really be explained, it was just special. It's a milestone, a landmark. At that very moment, opposing coaches around the league said: "ok, damnit, the Redskins are really dangerous. I mean we already knew RG3 is dynamic and dangerous, but damnit they are really going to be tough." Teams have already been calling us tough, we play everyone to the end. This message board has been full of posts about how we need just 7 pts more average a game to be a 10-6 team or whatever. We're way past that little hump. We are going to score bigtime on everyone from now on, with the occasional bad game here and there, but the difference is it won't be typical Redskins.

RG3 beating the Saints could be a landmark as well, but this play ...man,. this play. Football is about emotion too. I don't think FedEx has ever, EVER been more pumped as a whole. So hopefully, in the future, we'll say Riggo was the play of it's time, and (as weak as a week 6 vikings game sounds) this is the play of it's era.

And you better believe, if this game was the Superbowl, Rg3 makes the same exact play. It's just a matter of time and circumstance, and this play proved it can and WILL happen.

The reason that run might be second place is this: it was the nail in the couffin of an 8-game losing streak, FedEx has never been so electrified, and now it's hard to deny RG3. That single play might change our whole season, and I vote for it to be second place.

The reason that run might be second place is this: it was the nail in the couffin of an 8-game losing streak, FedEx has never been so electrified, and now it's hard to deny RG3. That single play might change our whole season, and I vote for it to be second place.

IF that run does change our whole season. I'm with you. :)

Archived