Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

From what Jackson showed today, in two words : NO SIR

Today was certainly a poor showing, especially in the first quarter. He lost contain on quite a few runs over to his side and completely whiffed on McCoy on one in the backfield. McCoy is a good player so it could have happened to anyone but we should be realistic in our analysis of our players regardless of their reputation or draft position. Jackson strung together a few very good games but today was not one of them.

solution move to a 4-3

I wouldn't move back to a 4-3, but I would make more usage of nickel lineups where I play Orakpo and Kerrigan at DE and have Jackson as one of my 2 LBs. Then we can put somebody like Jenkins inside at DT and have a nice front four. But I do like the way this defense has been able to create turnovers, unlike previous years.

Today was certainly a poor showing, especially in the first quarter. He lost contain on quite a few runs over to his side and completely whiffed on McCoy on one in the backfield. McCoy is a good player so it could have happened to anyone but we should be realistic in our analysis of our players regardless of their reputation or draft position. Jackson strung together a few very good games but today was not one of them.

Whiffing didn't bother me as much(bothered me, but I get McCoy is elusive) as his mental errors today. He had the opportunity to turn the play inside(which is his job) on a number of occasions today. And I'm sure our D coaches made it abundantly clear all week to force McCoy into the meat of our defense.

I like the kid, but he still has some growing to do.

I like the kid, but he still has some growing to do.

Every team needs players like Rob Jackson and he is Greg Blache's greatest contribution to this team during his tenure here. I believe Vinny asked Greg specifically who to draft in the 7th round that year. We drafted Orakpo to rush the passer period. He has an elite 1st step - that is exactly why he was taken 13th overall and Jackson in the 7th round. He needs more time to get acclimated to this defense. I personally think Orakpo is going to have a monster season in 2013-2014.

Wondering when this thread was coming up. Jackson is so much better in coverage than Orakpo. It's great to see RJax step up the way he did.

Edit: That being said: Rak still is a beast and RJax, Rak, Kerrigan and Zo all available as pass rushers next year gets me pretty stoked

After Week 2, I thought the Skins were basically screwed on defense without Orakpo and Carriker. Jackson, along with Fletcher, has made this defense a lot more sound during the 7 game winning streak. Obviously, he made the play of the game because Dal@ss had momentum and was on a roll after that TD and 2 pt conversion. I really thought that Romo sits to pee was going to drive them down to at least tie the game, if not win it if Jackson doesn't pick off that pass.

I don't see why it has to be an either/or. You can never have enough DE's/LBs. Why can't we have both?

Take the cue from the Giants --- you can never have enough pass rushers.

Also, the Steelers have James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and Lawrence Timmons -- 3 very good OLBs on their roster for at least 3-4 years now. Though they're going to part ways with Harrison after this season I think b/c of injuries and cost.

Archived