Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

So might be a stupid question here but oh well. The typical recovery time for a torn pectoral muscle is 4-6 months...is there any way Rak could make a return this season? Or once a guy is on IR he's done for the season?

done for the season.. they have that new ir/designated to return but i think u only get 1 and we used that on meriweather i think

The interesting thing with Jackson now will be his 2013 contract status. He's not on the same level as Orakpo, but he's played well enough to probably earn himself a shot at starting somewhere, or, at the very least, a half-way decent starter contract. He only made 615K this year, I imagine he'll be looking for significantly more than that for the next few years.

maybe we just use orakpo on 3rd downs and passing situations, kinda like the 49ers do with aldon smith. i think he excels when hes just going for the qb. hes obviously stronger and faster than jackson, but jackson is far superior in open space. like most have said, i dont think its about who's better as ROLB, its about how can we put both on the field to maximize their skill sets.

What about using Orakpo at DE if Carriker can't come back? He's strong and explosive and might be a good disruptor, particularly on passing downs.

We basically use Rak/Jackson and Kerrigan as DEs in our nickel sets. But in the base 3-4, no, Orakpo shouldn't be a DE. You need huge guys to occupy blockers and clog running lanes; athletic guys like Rak need to stay outside where their speed/strength combo is makes them better suited.

The ONLY reason I'd even think of trading Rak is because of his contract. But even then....no. Just no. Especially not right now when his value is at it's lowest.

Find a way to get these guys all on the field. Even if it means Jackson becomes you're every down back and Rak comes in on obvoius passing downs...fine. But keep them both.

IF Jackson balls for a second season and shows he's going to be consistent, then you hope Rak manages to put up some good sack numbers and you look to potentially trade then when he has some value and you're confident you have a consistent good replacement. But doing so right now is foolish. Low value from Rak and only one year of work from Jackson that we're going off of.

Rak's pressure in rushing the passer is worth more than a 2nd rounder right now, even if he's a situational guy rather than a starter.

Jackson earned himself a nice extension this season.

He's not the pass rusher Orakpo is, but he makes up for it elsewhere. Rak and Kerrigan should still start next season, but Jackson will do great in nickle packages. Maybe run some 1-5-5 nickle or drop Riley or Fletcher out. That way, we have our two best pass rushers in Kerrigan and Orakpo, and we'll have great coverage LBs.

• 2 months later...

Archived