Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

I think you guys are somewhat underselling Orakpo. He's been a double digit sack man. We haven't really seen that since Charles Mann. We also saw how anemic our pass rush became with him gone and how much it hurt guys like Kerrigan. Brian is better than you think at generating pressure and he was getting better against the run. Still, a liability in the coverage game though.

Hopefully, he comes back fully healed, strong, and hungry.

Then let's talk about the records of the teams who Orakpo got his sacks against and what the overall flow of the game was when Orakpo made that play vs when Jackson made his. Who made the bigger plays? Who is the better playmaker?

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

This one is easy to field:

Let's talk about how awful the Redskins were in all the years that Rak put those numbers up. That makes a gigantic difference. Overall flow of the game was never really in our favor, or important, in a lot of the games Rak played in... Simply because we haven't been good until last year.

Can we stop with all of this non sense? We have three solid outside linebackers. And if one of them goes down, we're going to be even happier that we have all three of them. Seriously. This topic is getting worn out. Why do people want to get rid of depth the second we get it? It's crazy to me.

Orakpo, in his limited time last season, seemed to have made improvements in coverage. And stated in comments how that needed to be done in order to improve the defense. Jackson is definitely better in coverage, he has better instincts in passing situations when he's left out in space. But it's obvious that Rak is a much better pass rusher, and this defense relies on that dual pass rush between Kerrigan and he in order to bring overall pressure.

Both are quality players, and for once, we have depth in a position instead of praying that a player doesn't go down and end any chance of us being competitive in a particular area.

Can we stop with all of this non sense? We have three solid outside linebackers. And if one of them goes down, we're going to be even happier that we have all three of them. Seriously. This topic is getting worn out. Why do people want to get rid of depth the second we get it? It's crazy to me.

Because people are stupid and so are some Redskin fans who think we can operate like the Patriots and trade all our stars away when we have not been in a position to do that, unlike the Patriots who have been to 5 SBs in the last 12 years. I hate when one team has success like the Patriots, because idiot fans in today's game think we can run our team the same way. I don't want to do things the "Patriot Way," I want to do things the "Redskin Way."

In the 80s, the Niners had a way of doing things, the Giants had a way of doing things, the Bears had a way of doing things and the Redskins had a way of doing things, and each of them were successful in their own ways while being the top teams of that era. In the 70s, the Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys and Dolphins all had a different way of doing things and were very successful.

We've been screaming and kicking for the FO to finally give us some depth when a starter goes down and last year Rak went down while Jackson filled in. Isn't that what we WANTED? I agree coach, it's not only crazy that our fans want to keep trading away our good players and depth players, but it's also stupid. Yes, I'm calling anyone who wants to trade our good players, stupid.

We had this same conversation about Cooley at the height of his career.

People called other people crazy and stupid for wanting to trade him. History tells us they might have been on to something.

Cooley is not Orakpo. They are entirely different cases. And to be honest, I'm still glad we didn't trade Cooley. As it turns out, he probably ended his career as a Washington Redskin. One team. His team.

And who knows what we would have gotten in his place. Perhaps a guy that hurt us due to attitude/whatever. Or maybe we would have received a major upgrade. Who knows.

Cooley is not Orakpo. They are entirely different cases. And to be honest, I'm still glad we didn't trade Cooley. As it turns out, he probably ended his career as a Washington Redskin. One team. His team.

And who knows what we would have gotten in his place. Perhaps a guy that hurt us due to attitude/whatever. Or maybe we would have received a major upgrade. Who knows.

Probably so. I just don't understand people who won't entertain the idea of trading a player. A good player.

My position is that almost no player is untouchable, and if trading him could make the team better it should be explored.

Probably so. I just don't understand people who won't entertain the idea of trading a player. A good player.

My position is that almost no player is untouchable, if trading him makes the team better.

It's not easy to trade in football.

It's the way the system is set up.

Trading Rak, right now, isn't a great idea. By statistical evidence, we know our pass rush was considerably worse last year. There are many logical reasons for that, including... but not limited to:

1) Brian Orakpo's injury

2) Adam Carriker's injury

3) Jim Haslett's gameplanning/calls in the majority of the season (I think he got better late)

4) Safety play

Why would we trade Rak when there's a good chance that his presence could put us over the top? Why trade Rak when we could have a linebacker package of Rak/Kerrigan/Fletch(or Riley) and Jackson on the field at times? Talk about a problem for opposing offenses...

Now isn't the time to trade him.

That time MAY come. But it's not now.

Unless someone wants to trade us an "RG3" package. Then I might listen ;)

My position is that almost no player is untouchable, and if trading him could make the team better it should be explored.

I wouldn't mind trading a 29 year old TE at the time, but not a 25 year old LBer in his prime. OLBer in this defense who can rush the passer and put pressure on the other team, is alot more important than a TE in the zone read. Trading is fine, but you have to look at the overall picture and not just trade for trading sake because one 7th round pick had a decent year. Davis was ready to take over when everyone wanted to trade Cooley. Rak is not done. Far from done. And Jackson didn't show me anything "above and beyond" what Rak already gives us. Again, DEPTH is not a bad word.

Raks trade value is not at its peak right now off of an injury. He can be a beast, but the fact is he is injured a lot. This is the last year before he can get a new contract and players tend to play lights out the year before a contract renewal. If he can stay healthy, have a good season win/win. We keep him and he kicks butt for years to come or his trade value is higher next year if they front office wants to move him. I don't see a benefit of trying to move him now (low value post injury)if that is even in the plans.

The thing about a trade is working out where the value is. In Orakpos case we would be a seller in a buyers market - with Orakpo coming off his second pec tear in two years and missing almost the whole year his value has probably never been lower. If we started shopping him teams would low ball us - 4th round pick maybe lower. His value to us as a very good pass rushing OLB is more than the value we might get in a trade at this moment IMO.

Because people are stupid and so are some Redskin fans who think we can operate like the Patriots and trade all our stars away when we have not been in a position to do that, unlike the Patriots who have been to 5 SBs in the last 12 years. I hate when one team has success like the Patriots, because idiot fans in today's game think we can run our team the same way. I don't want to do things the "Patriot Way," I want to do things the "Redskin Way."

The Patriots Way is even lamer when you consider that the Pats haven't actually won a Super Bowl since the majority of the talent Parcell's drafted retired. The Patriots defense in particular has had huge depth issues.

I mean, just look at their situation sense Rodney Harrison (which, admittedly, was a Belichick trade) retired and they let Asante Samuel walk in free agency.

They get a really good, Pro Bowl strong safety in Brandon Meriweather.

They draft Patrick Chung. They force Meriweather to play free safety so Chung can play strong safety. Chung is always hurt, and Meriweather plays just okay at free safety.

So they cut Meriweather, put Patrick Chung at free safety, and then they try and "Troy Brown" the safety position with wide receivers, and Sergio Brown is sort of the player at strong safety by not really.

They have one of the worst secondaries of all time.

Then, this year, they draft a safety in the second round who was rated a 5th round pick by most everyone. They take their best corner Devin McCourty and force him to play free safety, then force Chung to play strong safety again.

They again have a ****ty secondary. Now they're letting Patrick Chung walk.

They're also letting Wes Welker walk because they refuse to pay him what he's earned and have repeatedly lowballed him, and then they're letting the supposed Welker replacement Julian Edleman walk. All so they can replace both of those guys with Danny Amendola, who hasn't had a full season in his entire career.

If you ask me, the Patriots Way kind of sucks.

I think generally people here under estimate Jackson with respect to our other OLBs.

However, I don't think you can trade Orakpo. He's in the last year of his contract, right?

He's coming off of a pretty major injury.

What are you going to get for a one year player coming off of a pretty serious injury?

Does anybody really think you'd get more than a 4th round pick?

But, but, Belichick NEVER makes personnel mistakes! Belichick Belichick Belichick! Ermahgerd! :pfft:

Yes, how quickly they forget Andre Rison with the Browns! If the NFL keeps reminding us of our 2000 FA, then Belichick should be reminded of this WONDERFUL signing.

Yes, how quickly they forget Andre Rison with the Browns! If the NFL keeps reminding us of our 2000 FA, then Belichick should be reminded of this WONDERFUL signing.

Not to mention how he was a genius to get Hanyesworth, Kellen Winslow and Chad Johnson. Those malcontents will follow his lead and become pro bowlers for the Patriots, just like Corey Dillon!!

Right guys? Right ...?

Also, Belichick has gotten so arrogant with his "TE offense" that he is willing to let Welker, Edelman and Lloyd go in the same year. He has to realize that Deion Branch can't play forever. The ONLY reason they still sit at 12+ wins a year is Tom Brady. The year he missed the season, they won 11 games, but the team was younger and better built to withstand his injury. I think they'd seriously drop down to 8 wins or less without him.

Also, Belichick has gotten so arrogant with his "TE offense" that he is willing to let Welker, Edelman and Lloyd go in the same year. He has to realize that Deion Branch can't play forever. The ONLY reason they still sit at 12+ wins a year is Tom Brady. The year he missed the season, they won 11 games, but the team was younger and better built to withstand his injury. I think they'd seriously drop down to 8 wins or less without him.

They're also about to bring back Stallworth from what i'm hearing :ols:

The Patriots way is the wrong way. :ols:

Wrong. The Patriot Way is not the right way for us. That's the point. They have been very successful doing things their way, but that doesn't mean it will work for us. How did the Norv Turner led Redskins work out in the 90s trying to copy Dallass' Triplettes offense?

Archived