Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

Um... Orakpo was hurt in that game. And he got hurt after his only sack and it was in the first half if memory serves. I thought you were talking about the game in 2011?

To say he would've gotten 4 and caused another 4 when the game plan was to three step drop the Redskins defense (which it was in 2010 as well and it worked) then I seriously doubt it. You dream, lol.

EDIT: And three seconds is forever for Drew Brees and most elite level NFL qbs.

He got hurt, then came back, but then went out. And before he got hurt he was really disruptive. No dream, watch the tape. :)

And I'm not sure why you mentioned the game plan as an argument, that was my point. Had it not been so easy for Bradford to get the ball off (NFL defense's usually try to take away that three step drop and pass by taking away the first read you know) then Orakpo would've gotten to him almost every pass play. He was that fast.

He got hurt, then came back, but then went out. And before he got hurt he was really disruptive. No dream, watch the tape. :)

And I'm not sure why you mentioned the game plan as an argument, that was my point. Had it not been so easy for Bradford to get the ball off (NFL defense's usually try to take away that three step drop and pass by taking away the first read you know) then Orakpo would've gotten to him almost every pass play. He was that fast.

that was going to be everyone's game plan because our secondary was so bad. I've said that in this thread before and other threads on this board, lol. That's why I wanted us to use a cover 2 look if we were able to keep all of our guys healthy... that make a 3 step game harder to execute.

But as far as 4 sacks and causing another 4... that's steep work, man. He had one, so unfortunately you don't get to use that in any argument. :)

Why are sacks the measure for a disruptive pass rusher?

Yeah I don't get that, stats are throw around way to often- ill use the eye test and can see the holding and double team he commands, it's not always an extra OL that has to be in on the double team but just the amount of Times TEs and RBs are left back to help

Anyone think Rak is still expendable with RJax suspended four games?

The argument was and is now even more... silly.

Yeah, was coming in to say "Lol, not any more"

In all seriousness, Orakpo needs to stay very healthy this year. Repeated injuries like his make for a short career.

Yeah, was coming in to say "Lol, not any more"

In all seriousness, Orakpo needs to stay very healthy this year. Repeated injuries like his make for a short career.

Agreed.

I'm just glad that we have starter quality depth when things like this happen. As I've always been. :)

Here's some stats from PFF to maybe add to the discussion. I've seen some posters arguing that Jackson is equal to Orakpo in pass rush ability due to accumulating roughly half the amount of sacks in half the amount of pass rushes. What about hits and hurries?

Brian Orakpo: (2011) 43 hurries, 6 QB hits, 10 sacks, 390 pass rushes

Rob Jackson: (2012) 10 hurries, 2 QB hits, 5 sacks, 225 pass rushes

So (according to PFF, I know there are differences between the different stats providers) Orakpo hurried the QB one in every 9 rushes, with Jackson hurrying the QB 1 in 22.5

A lot of so-called fans conveniently forget Orakpo came back too early from his initial pec injury and further damaged it so to say he is damaged goods and hasn't lived up to potential is premature and irresponsible, at best.

Also, folks tend to forget how impressive Orakpo has been in defending passes with his great hand-eye coordination, anticipation and quick feet. IMO, all he needs to do is get 100% healthy, bulk up maybe 5-10 pounds and get a move or two added to his arsenal and he will be just fine.

He has arguably been held by OL players more than anyone else on the team. That means (listen folks) he IS getting measurable penetration into the backfield. All he has to do is convert it more into sacks and things will amplify.

It's real simple folks. We are looking at a diamond in the rough player. He needs to get himself healthy and as time goes on, he will blossom into the player we all envisioned.

Diamond in the rough? There's nothing rough about Rak. He's a very good football player. He provides pressure and a gameplanning issue for opposing offenses. His sack numbers aren't elite, but he pressures like the elite pass rushers do.

Diamond in the rough? There's nothing rough about Rak. He's a very good football player. He provides pressure and a gameplanning issue for opposing offenses. His sack numbers aren't elite, but he pressures like the elite pass rushers do.

Once again you're looking beyond the sacks to a wider context, have you ever even played Madden?? :ols:

Orakpo's job is more than just sacks like a D Ware, when he's held (often) he pins the O lineman to a spot instead of getting diverted around the pocket, he pressures QBs into throwing too early before a play can develop, he draws enough worried attention that a CB/SS blitz can streak in untouched, his efforts allow others to disrupt plays, etc., etc.

Jackson did a good job last year but don't kid yourselves, we missed 'Rak.

Here here, I found this thread to be extremely premature. Jackson has improvedly mightily. But let's not the cart. Rak has built a rep for his pass rush. The opposing QB and more importantly the OL and his coach game plan for him. Kerrigan's numbers as well as the entire back end showed we were missing an elite pass rusher off the edge. That was observed w/ Jackson on the field in relief.

• 5 months later...

Archived