Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

Believe Orakpo is signed for next year but Jackson is a free agent to sign with anybody?

Yes. And I see many people saying "just keep both". And yes, that would be the best outcome but many people like myself feel like Jackson will be offered a contract by another team that would surpass anything the Skins would be willing to pay a backup LB.

can someone break down some film an show these magic double teams that Kerrigan is receiving..I've watched games an I've seen several downs where he is being blocked singly an doesn't beat his man...I don't want to trade anyone but we might not be able to afford Jackson next yr he would be the player to move if we can't sign him.

Moondog,

I agree with most if not all of your points. Avoid belittling Jackson's contribution to build up Orakpo though. Jackson has made game changing plays in multiple games now that have had direct impact on this playoff run. Some may have come from the attention Kerrigan receives on the other side, good scheming by Haslet and/or being fresh this late in the season, but you can't argue his effect on this year's team.

If he commands a large contract this offseason the Skins are going to be forced to let him go. He is most certainly playing his heart out for that next contract. He is taking full advantage of this opportunity and reaping the benefits of playing on GOOD team (feels "good" to say). These are the type of players us Skins are going to hopefully have arguments about keeping for years to come.

Go Skins!

Moondog,

I agree with most if not all of your points. Avoid belittling Jackson's contribution to build up Orakpo though. Jackson has made game changing plays in multiple games now that have had direct impact on this playoff run. Some may have come from the attention Kerrigan receives on the other side, good scheming by Haslet and/or being fresh this late in the season, but you can't argue his effect on this year's team.

If he commands a large contract this offseason the Skins are going to be forced to let him go. He is most certainly playing his heart out for that next contract. He is taking full advantage of this opportunity and reaping the benefits of playing on GOOD team (feels "good" to say). These are the type of players us Skins are going to hopefully have arguments about keeping for years to come.

Go Skins!

Belittling Jackson was not my intent but I can definitely see how it sounded like that's what I was doing. Two of his interceptions I'm not blown away by nor do I think they were anything special but I give him credit for being in the right place at the right time, even if in both situations an opposing quarterback just flat out did not see him and was forced into a quick decision by Kerrigan.

But you are right, Jackson has definitely played well and had some serious impact plays lately. They've made a big difference for us and I like him as a player, to be honest I always have. He's always capitalized, at least enough to stick around, on his opportunities to last through coaching changes even as a 7th round draft pick which is impressive.

I do not see any team offering him some big contract that we could not match but at the same time I think he'll be offered enough that we may have to cut bait simply because our money is better spent elsewhere if the doctors give us reason to believe Rak will come back healthy.

can someone break down some film an show these magic double teams that Kerrigan is receiving..I've watched games an I've seen several downs where he is being blocked singly an doesn't beat his man...I don't want to trade anyone but we might not be able to afford Jackson next yr he would be the player to move if we can't sign him.

The term I've been using is: "Teams are paying attention to Kerrigan"

That can come in various forms. It can come as a chip. It can come from awareness of him, or it could simply come from the fact the quarterback can see him from his point of view due to the drop of a right handed quarterback always facing the defensive left, which is where Kerrigan comes from, or it can come from the quarterback's schemed drop point.

Jackson has stepped up his game lately. But, up until recently, the pocket didn't collapse from the quarterback's blindside often this year with the absence of Rak. With opposing quarterbacks not fearing the blind side rush, they don't really move in Kerrigan's direction, which prevents some of the sack production.

As a whole, I'd agree, though, that Kerrigan has underperformed as a pass rusher. But he's done well in other areas of playing defense.

Belittling Jackson was not my intent but I can definitely see how it sounded like that's what I was doing. Two of his interceptions I'm not blown away by nor do I think they were anything special but I give him credit for being in the right place at the right time, even if in both situations an opposing quarterback just flat out did not see him and was forced into a quick decision by Kerrigan.

But you are right, Jackson has definitely played well and had some serious impact plays lately. They've made a big difference for us and I like him as a player, to be honest I always have. He's always capitalized, at least enough to stick around, on his opportunities to last through coaching changes even as a 7th round draft pick which is impressive.

I do not see any team offering him some big contract that we could not match but at the same time I think he'll be offered enough that we may have to cut bait simply because our money is better spent elsewhere if the doctors give us reason to believe Rak will come back healthy.

A pick six and two picks when we were losing... both deep in enemy territory? (vs Giants in NY and vs Browns last week)

That is a play-maker. One who makes plays. You have the nerve to come in here and act like Orakpo makes the defense go? Like he doesn't need any help? Seriously? His best year statistically he had Haynesworth, Griffin, PD, and Carter rushing along with him... that's help. Not to mention that in that particular season MOST of his sacks came against the Raiders...

He was a liability in coverage then giving up several long TDs to TEs... and he is still a liability in coverage. Until late last season, he was a run stopping liability and still isn't very good at that. This season against the Saints, he continued to show us he lacks ball skills by not picking a pass that hit him in the chest.

But Orakpo nation comes out and says "He's a pass rusher." Well that's ****ing great... a pass rusher who averages 9 sacks a year and gets most of those sacks against teams like the Raiders and Rams... and dissapears in all other facets of the game.

Rob Jackson excells against the run, is the #1 rated OLB in pass coverage in the NFL, tackles well in space, and is improving as a pass rusher.

But you want to say Orakpo is better because he is better at rushing the passer? He puts pressure on the QB? Guess what? We have forced more turnovers this year already than all of last year. We're not missing that "pressure" are we? His 9 sacks? Aren't really missing them. The weakness of this defense is the safety position. If we have two average safties... we have a top 15 defense and we are probably a 10-4 football team right now.

Put down your fanboy hat for a few minutes, chill out, and enjoy you some RJax.

I broke down the 2011 game against St. Louis because a poster on here claimed Kerrigan was receiving more double teams than Orakpo. I tried to be as fair as I could with it, it's somewhere near the beginning of this thread. I can't speak to this season but certain players on defense aren't doubled "every play" like some fans seem to think. However Orakpo most of all and Kerrigan second did receive quite a few throughout the game.

If you dig a little you can find torrents of the games online and take a look at the defensive snaps yourself. I think it took me about an hour to analyze a full game's defensive snaps.

Someone with the all-22 could probably do a lot better job with this season's games. The tv angles I relied on aren't always the best.

Oh my God...who gives a ****?? we are fighting over having two good linebackers for ****'s sake...

Can we just be happy about the fact?

It's not that. It's that so many members of this fanbase can't accept what is best for the TEAM sometimes because they are so used to bad football they latch on the players that are mediocre and blow them up in their heads to be mega stars. Chris Cooley is the perfect example.

Orakpo is a good OLB who operates best when he rushes the passer. Rob Jackson is a good (and better than Orakpo) all around linebacker. I've been saying this for months and even into parts of last year.

Some guys come in here and act like it's a personal insult to the Redskins when you say a depth player is better than one of their heroes... when in reality, they just refuse to be educated. RJax is a better OLB than Orakpo. End of discussion. Does he make Orakpo expendable? Maybe, if the price is right and if Orakpo doesn't come back from his second season ending injury in three games... the same injury at that. Does Orakpo and Jackson make for a better defense? Absolutely, if both are healthy.

Just chill out on the slamming of Rob Jackson because you don't have his jersey. A lot of you act like he is DeMarcus Ware and that is just not the case.

Sweet sassy mollassy.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2012 at 06:48 PM ----------

I broke down the 2011 game against St. Louis because a poster on here claimed Kerrigan was receiving more double teams than Orakpo. I tried to be as fair as I could with it, it's somewhere near the beginning of this thread. I can't speak to this season but certain players on defense aren't doubled "every play" like some fans seem to think. However Orakpo most of all and Kerrigan second did receive quite a few throughout the game.

If you dig a little you can find torrents of the games online and take a look at the defensive snaps yourself. I think it took me about an hour to analyze a full game's defensive snaps.

Someone with the all-22 could probably do a lot better job with this season's games. The tv angles I relied on aren't always the best.

That was me.

It's not that. It's that so many members of this fanbase can't accept what is best for the TEAM sometimes because they are so used to bad football they latch on the players that are mediocre and blow them up in their heads to be mega stars.

Couldn't it be said that's exactly what you're doing?

(Though, I wouldn't say Jackson is 'mediocre', persay.)

Couldn't it be said that's exactly what you're doing?

(Though, I wouldn't say Jackson is 'mediocre', persay.)

I don't think so. I'm a RJax fanboy, but in my opinion, he's better for the football team than Orakpo. It's simple... Orakpo has had the same injury twice in three games now... RJax has been a better all around linebacker all year.

What I'm more reffering to is the posters who really don't come in here with any other reasons than to talk about how great Orakpo is and then fabricate or misconstrue their memories of him. That's all I am saying.

I don't think so. I'm a RJax fanboy, but in my opinion, he's better for the football team than Orakpo. It's simple... Orakpo has had the same injury twice in three games now... RJax has been a better all around linebacker all year.

All year isn't saying much. Rak didn't play very long. :)

Rak also isn't asked to do the things Jackson is. Haslett is getting creative now. That said, Jackson is very good at everything he's been asked to do.

What I'm more reffering to is the posters who really don't come in here with any other reasons than to talk about how great Orakpo is and then fabricate or misconstrue their memories of him. That's all I am saying.

That's the case with most things. Just be careful what you accuse others of doing. Many think you're doing the same. You're a smart guy. I applaud you for thinking outside the box. Don't mire that with nonsense. :)

All year isn't saying much. Rak didn't play very long. :)

I think you know what I meant there, lol. ;)

That's the case with most things. Just be careful what you accuse others of doing. Many think you're doing the same. You're a smart guy. I applaud you for thinking outside the box. Don't mire that with nonsense. :)

Yeah, where I am at with this is that we all do it. I'm on the receiving end of a lot of it, but I think sometimes you have to go a little hard to get a point across, especially with some of the responses that are in this thread. Obviously I'm not intending to belittle anyone, but sometimes we need to re-evaluate the way we look at things as well as re-evaluating our approach in how we get our points across. So, point taken.

Archived