Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Source:Raheem Morris was calling the plays in the 4th quarter vs Rams

Lavarleap56

Raheem probably proposed going to more man, they did, and its reported he was running the defense on an otherwise slow news day.

This is probably right. I bet that if he had anything to do with changes, he just fought for the defensive coverage to be more man to man instead of zone. So not necessarily calling plays, but just encouraging plays called with man to man coverage instead.

Haslett was not Shanahan's first option. Mike initially wanted Zimmerman but Zimmerman wanted to remain in Cinci. There are not any viable options out there for Mike to run a 3-4 but Haslett is not the answer and I have never been impressed with Haslett as a head coach or a coordinator. Mike is not big on taking chances on a young up and comer but the times may be changing.

Ok, so with this knowledge, should we expect to see him calling defensive plays this week to start & if things don't go well, switch back to Haslett? Or is Haslett starting this game as play caller? Or do we know?

My [hopefully educated] guess is that Haz continues calling plays using a scheme that Morris has more input on during the week as part of building a gameplan that integrates Morris' obviously greater understanding of how well his secondary handles certain tasks.

Or he should have hired Crennel when he got the job. There were a couple other available too but I can't remember back that far. I have no idea why Hasslet was the one he chose.

Guys also have to want to come here, remember. Might be that we reached out and for one reason or another they decided not to come. Romeo Crennel decided to go with Scott Pioli and the Kansas City Chiefs.

Or he should have hired Crennel when he got the job. There were a couple other available too but I can't remember back that far. I have no idea why Hasslet was the one he chose.

Well...these folks still have to ACCEPT the job and I'm willing to be that was difficult to talk people into doing at that point. I don't know why anyone would have wanted to work here.

Also, I did see Has working with his radio thingy for a while. Im willing to be that he couldnt get it to work and thus giving way to the ultimate play caller that is Raheem Morris.

http://hogshaven.com/2012/9/19/3356874/source-raheem-morris-called-the-defensive-plays-in-the-fourth-quarter

This was suppose to stay in house BUT its out there so discuss away.. Where do we put the "I told you so " :)

Why the need to mention it was suppose to stay in house? Wouldn't the "I told you so" be understood if you just posted the link?

Very informative read nonetheless. Shanahan seems to have fired a warning shot to Haslett so perhaps Jimbo will redeem himself Sunday.

Weren't Morris' Defenses horrible the three years he was there? Not sure why everyone thinks he'll be the DC Messiah.

I guess everyone has forgot about the Buccs being 60 million under the cap.. The ownership was spending nothing on the football team for a few years so that they could buy Manchester United. Hard to win when your coaching at the dollar store...

didn't Haslett call a good game last week against the saints? those were the days..

We gave up 32 points. He had all off-season to gameplan for that 1 game. Not sure I would pat him on the back for that one. His schemes seem to allow to many 3rd & longs to be converted, too much open space in the middle of the field allowing WRs to get enormous YAC.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else take a shot at it.

We gave up 32 points. He had all off-season to gameplan for that 1 game. Not sure I would pat him on the back for that one. His schemes seem to allow to many 3rd & longs to be converted, too much open space in the middle of the field allowing WRs to get enormous YAC.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else take a shot at it.

It's important to remember those points effectively came in garbage time, and you can't count the punt that was blocked and returned for a touchdown.

It's important to remember those points effectively came in garbage time, and you can't count the punt that was blocked and returned for a touchdown.

Yeah, that's true. I forgot about the blocked punt.

Still, there's always seemingly wide open acreage right where the MLBs should be & often they are 10+yards away from plays taking place right there. I'm sick of seeing CBs line up 10 yards off the LOS....too mcuh zone defense, not enough man to man.If he can adjust properly, then fine. But it looks to me like he believes in his own system to a fault.

So if this is true two questions come to my mind - firstly who is calling plays Sunday and secondly if Haslett is such a lame duck why don't we just fire him now and put him (and us) out of our misery and promote Morris to DC immediately?

.......and then I read this - we extended Haslett and Smith?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/09/19/redskins-give-contract-extensions-to-coaches-jim-haslett-danny-smith/

Archived