Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Source:Raheem Morris was calling the plays in the 4th quarter vs Rams

Lavarleap56

Folks, be very careful what you wish for. Have been a Skins fan since 1960 but have lived in Tampa since 1977. Watched Raheem in action the last 3 years...he has no experience in a 3-4 format. Also, his style as a head coach resulted in a complete breakdown in discipline both on and off the field. He pushed to bring Tanard Jackson and he is gone possibly forever. Don't know if he is the long term or short term answer as the DC, but am very concerned after I saw what happened in Tampa. It could make Jim zorns time look like a marine boot camp.

Would you think Raheem would do better in a non-disciplinary role?

Well... again... Devil's Advocate.

They cut everyone but Ronde' Barber loose after Gruden was fired. The next year the Bucs didn't spend any money. The year after the Bucs didn't spend any money... and then when Schiano came in, the Bucs spent money.

You have to have players.

good point. i'd forgotten about that.

I forget, how did the defense do in the fourth quarter? I was pretty damn drunk by that point..

Fourth quarter scoring drives for the Saints...

SAINTS: Lance Moore 33 pass from Brees at 6:19 (Sproles 2-point run). DRIVE: 6-58-1:04. KEY PLAYS: Colston 13-yard reception puts ball at the Redskins’ 33.

SAINTS: Sproles 2 pass from Brees at 2:25 (Hartley kick). DRIVE: 10-80-0:53. KEY PLAYS: Brees had three passes of 17 yards, two to Moore and one to Sproles to set the Saints up at the Redskins’ 2

Gomes interception off Brees and 49-yard return sets up Redskin touchdown.

Redskins get first down on a punt to keep the drive going when Saints have too many men on the field. Let to a Skins score.

While Haslett had an unbelievably awful game, let's not forget that he held an explosive NOLA offense to 25 pts on the road. You've gotta give credit when it's due; that was great gameplanning and playcalling. Though as good as he was against NOLA, he was just as bad against STL.

This whole thing sounds very suspicious to me.

There are ups and downs along the way but there are some consistencies:

- When defense plan A works, everything is fine. When it doesn't, there's no plan B. Against the Saints plan A worked for most of the game, but the Saints adjusted and we started to leak points. Against the Rams, plan A was shot to pieces almost from the word go.

- Teams have figured out the kind of plays Haslett is going to call. Bradford executed the offense brilliantly, but it was like the Rams knew exactly what to expect from us on almost every play. The defense has become predictable.

Well... again... Devil's Advocate.

They cut everyone but Ronde' Barber loose after Gruden was fired. The next year the Bucs didn't spend any money. The year after the Bucs didn't spend any money... and then when Schiano came in, the Bucs spent money.

You have to have players.

Could that not be Haslett's excuse/reason as well?

And who has the experience against Brees that probably had lots of input on that gameplan?

oh yeah.. that would be Morris.. who used to coach in Tampa, which is in NO division.

Who probably did most of the planning for STL... that would be Haslett, who had the worst game plan ever.

This is highly speculative. The more reasonable assumption is that both Jim Haslett and Raheem Morris had input in devising both gameplans.

Fourth quarter scoring drives for the Saints...

SAINTS: Lance Moore 33 pass from Brees at 6:19 (Sproles 2-point run). DRIVE: 6-58-1:04. KEY PLAYS: Colston 13-yard reception puts ball at the Redskins’ 33.

SAINTS: Sproles 2 pass from Brees at 2:25 (Hartley kick). DRIVE: 10-80-0:53. KEY PLAYS: Brees had three passes of 17 yards, two to Moore and one to Sproles to set the Saints up at the Redskins’ 2

Gomes interception off Brees and 49-yard return sets up Redskin touchdown.

Redskins get first down on a punt to keep the drive going when Saints have too many men on the field. Let to a Skins score.

Thank you sir, it's all coming back now.

I'm not a Haslett fan anymore, but I think Allen and/or Shanahan needs to do something definitive here. You can't treat a coordinator like this and not do something. It's not fair to the man himself, but it's also not fair to the players. Who are they going to defer to if Haslett is officially in charge but they know that their head coach sees more eye-to-eye with Morris?

Shanhan either needs to announce (internally, not to us) that this is still Haslett's D and that they were trying something out on Sunday or he needs to fire Haslett and promote Morris.

My thoughts exactly. I will add: It doesn't matter how this shakes out. If it is true, the situation was mismanaged.

There are ups and downs along the way but there are some consistencies:

- When defense plan A works, everything is fine. When it doesn't, there's no plan B. Against the Saints plan A worked for most of the game, but the Saints adjusted and we started to leak points. Against the Rams, plan A was shot to pieces almost from the word go.

- Teams have figured out the kind of plays Haslett is going to call. Bradford executed the offense brilliantly, but it was like the Rams knew exactly what to expect from us on almost every play. The defense has become predictable.

This is a good observation that I tend to agree with. Haslett's in-game adjustments have been pretty poor from what I can remember. That's a big issue.

Just heard on ESPN980 that this is a load of crap.

So is this just damage control, or is the article just not correct.

I don't see this as accurate, IMO. I feel like if he had done it, it wouldn't have been just for a quarter unless there was another factor than just "coaching" issues.

I hate that with a lead, you go zone. with a lead, i want calls that go foot on the neck. Go aggressive, we can afford to take risks.

Every fan has seen every year as fans, any QB can take what the zone gives.

Its why we have lost to all the no name and rookie coaches, like clockwork, over the past decade.

Raheed the Dream Morris!

He'd keep it and probably let him learn the finer concepts on the fly. Though I'd probably bring in an outside consultant with experience in the 3-4 to help ease the transition a bit.

ESPN 980 isn't giving any credence to this but as they acknowledge it could be that the players and staff have really done a good job closing the ranks. However, one more piece of evidence to validate this is that Shanny had his long time trusted lieutenant, Bob Slowik, moved to coach LB's. So he could learn the in's and out's of LB play. Which is the backbone of any 3-4 Defense.

p.s. Having coached for about 30 years I can attest that a team ALWAYS takes on the personality of the coach. Our offense plays with a chip on their shoulder under Kyle. Kyle's like, hmmm we're backed up to our own goal line. I could run it. EFF that! Let's take a shot down field! Haz just seems so laid back. Where Raheem seems to be the 'let's go pop somebody in the mouth' type of coach.

I think Shanny's plan all along was to have Raheem come in here, learn 3-4 concepts from Haslett, and then take-over. That may explain why Haslett hasnt been fired and wont be fired until the end of the year. Unless of course, Haslett objects to having to tutor his replacement -- which I doubt, if nothing else Haslett is a professional.

Haslett IS very knowledgeable. If football was a written test, he'd be at the top. However, his problem has always been making adjustments to fluid situations, and knowing how to apply his knowledge-base to unfolding events on the football field. He has horrible timing, he seems to let O-coordinators get inside his head easily. He also over-complicates simple things, and all-in-all, is just not a good play-caller as he simply is unable to make good quick decisions, and it has nothing to do with lack of knowlege. He's like the coaching version of Patrick Ramsey.

In this case, it makes sense to bring in a guy like Raheem Morris, who strikes me as being more instinctual than knowledgeable (lack of knowledge due to youth and inexperience), and have him soak up Haslett's knowledge, so that Raheem can actually put Haslett's vast knowledge-base to good use. Good plan by Shanahan, if only this hadnt been leaked, it might have worked.

I hate that with a lead, you go zone. with a lead, i want calls that go foot on the neck. Go aggressive, we can afford to take risks.

Every fan has seen every year as fans, any QB can take what the zone gives.

Its why we have lost to all the no name and rookie coaches, like clockwork, over the past decade.

Raheed the Dream Morris!

Well it should be noted that Raheem Morris is a Tampa-2 disciple who learned under one of the greatest defensive coordinators of the last few generations in Monte Kiffin - a zone-coverage guru. At his heart, Morris is still a zone guy. And zone defenses can be devaststing if the technique is played properly and communication is efficient.

Archived