Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets hear it for......the O line.

21MadFan

To be fair, Griffin probably avoided 3 or 4 sacks with his feet. The OL was the least impressive group of all today,imo. Not awful, but I didn't see much running room being created either. Almost everything that Morris got he had to work for.

The OL was also protected by the early screen game and quick drops. Whatever works, though.

I thought we should have run the ball much better in the 4th quarter especially given how long the Saints D had been on the field. Honestly, a little disappointed there.

I think most of the pass protection was game planning and smart releases by Griffin

Yeah, I was really hoping to see more from the run game.

I was in chat for the game, and it really seemed like we just didn't run wide, at all. (And that was something I thought we did a whole bunch of, last year.)

Still, I ASSUME that the Saints, playing a rookie QB, stacked the line, and said they were gonna stop the run and rush the rookie. (And they were able to do one, but not the other.)

Hey, someone's stealing my schtick, but....

I agree. Especially proud of Lichtensteiger who missed the entire preseason and most of last year with an injury and came in better than solid. Hell of a first outing coming out from the very cold.

I stole the schtick on purpose....Can you forgive me :)

I stole the schtick on purpose....Can you forgive me :)

:cheers:

I'm actually surprised. The reason I did it (and expect you did) was I expected fifty well deserved threads about RGIII after the game.

Though I got Norvous at times, this was really a great all around game for the 'skins.

I think that they performed admirably. Not the best, far from the worst.

However, I think that the Shanahans know exactly what they have on the OL, and they game planned for the talent pretty well.

The only series that really miffed me was late in the game, the 'Skins tried 2 Morris runs for a grand total of a yard, then a 6 yard completion to Moss. That's a story I've seen before. But give the Shanahan's credit, on the next drive, they started with a pass.

Agree with the others, who previously have noted that RG3 created for himself a handful of times. I can think of at least 3 (probably more) in which he literally bounced off of would-be tacklers to avoid a sack and extended a play, by himself.

And when the time was needed for the o-line to dominate the LOS, the last few series, they just couldn't push the pile, had some 3 and outs, gave N.O. hope with extra drives.

In other news ... I keep a small tally in my mind as the game was going on. As far as I could tell, from my count - T. Williams had 1 false start penalty, Kory had two holding penalties and I must be forgetting who was credited with the allowance on the sack. Maybe it was a broken down play in which Griff was scrambling, I need to go back and watch. But that's what I remember from first glance.

The passing scheme made it so that short developing passes and quick routes got the ball out and the o-line was not needed to hold up for too long. Also liked the Spread and Pistol looks, seemed to give Griff just what he needed, an easier transition to the NFL, like Newton had last year with his spread system.

Better than I thought from polumbus, in general. I expected TP would get worked at least a few times and he seemed to hold his own. I was surprised that KL was moving as well as he was, that is, downfield and such. His base strength is not there yet. A bit disappointed that T Will didn't drive fools off the ball better, he got stonewalled a few times himself on run plays. That's just my general feeling right now.

Game rewind should provide more clarity.

I thought we should have run the ball much better in the 4th quarter especially given how long the Saints D had been on the field. Honestly, a little disappointed there.

I think most of the pass protection was game planning and smart releases by Griffin

I really agree. I was miffed that they could not rattle off some yards running when needed. Seems the yards gotten were mostly effort on the part of Morris.

---------- Post added September-9th-2012 at 06:12 PM ----------

4 yards a carry and one sack? What a great performance. I thought they played well the whole game.

Amazing what a quarterback will do for your offensive line, huh?

That and the back running the ball.

Got to give the coaching staff a lot of props too. I feel like the play calling really focused on quick developing plays that didn't allow our O-Line to give up much pressure.

agreed and opening up early with said plays, put the pressure on NO early and often which bought III time later in the game.

I thought this was the best called game offensively in the Shanny tenure. I am thrilled we used III the way we did, opening the game in shotgun was a very good sign of being much much more dynamic than years past.

The OL did good. III took a few shots but outside of a few penalties, there was little to complain about from the OL.

Got to give the coaching staff a lot of props too. I feel like the play calling really focused on quick developing plays that didn't allow our O-Line to give up much pressure.

I agree with this. Also, RGIII's mobility extended a few plays that may have resulted in sacks with lesser mobile QB's..

No complaints about the o-line's performance though. They are doing the things that Shanny and co. want within the design of the offense.

Archived