Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets hear it for......the O line.

21MadFan

There should be a lot more love for Trent Williams going on right now. He DOMINATED Will Smith!!! Dominated!!! Go back and take a loook at the first 4th and 1 play. Sure, Young had a great second effort to get the first down. But, it was Williams who caved in the entire defensive line by absolutely making Will Smith his personal beeotch.

Trent Williams was AWESOME today!!!

Something I've told others much of the off season, our offensive line will be an elite line IF Trent Williams is an elite LT. If he plays as a Top 5 player there, coupled with RGIII's ability to extend plays, the offensive line will be as good as any in football. If Trent struggles, our line will as well. We can cover another weakness assuming we can leave Trent alone each play.

We don't "push" in the run game. We're not a power run team. We shield in the run game. That's what we do and that's how we're built.

Ok, maybe I used the wrong term. The point is, we were getting pushed back, especially earlier, rather than holding our ground and making the block.

Ok, maybe I used the wrong term. The point is, we were getting pushed back, especially earlier, rather than holding our ground and making the block.

Fair enough, and penetration is a killer against the zone blocking run scheme we have. In all, though, we put a ton of running yards up, so, we did what we had to do.

I'm reticent to go overboard on the line as I thought RGIII contributed a heck of a lot to his own safety back there.

Now the D-line ..... that was SICK!

Hail.

You're right, I think the OL was mire worried about staying out if Griff's way as fast as the offense was moving. The qwik bubble screens froze the secondary early. Then the PA zone reads had them off kilter. It was too much for their D to defend all at one time.

I felt the worrying about the Oline was a bit overblown. Williams should finally be the elite LT we drafted him to be, the interior performed well last year before injuries hit, and Polumbus looked good in pre-season. All of that was more or less validated today. We ran for over 150 yards, RGIII was only sacked once, and that was because he tripped.

One sack, and only 3 QB hits, and 153 yards rushing. Those are stats that will win you a game almost every week.

They played far better than I expected them to. I was fairly disappointed with the running game, especially in the second half. Against a fatigued defense line, we should have been able to run a good deal easier than it appeared. Otherwise, I was greatly enamored of the Oline. I hope they can continue to consistently protect our rookie sensation in the games to come. :D

I agree with those who the offensive line benefited from the play-calling and the speed of Griffin.

That said, Williams seems to play better when Lichtensteiger is the left Guard. Also, I was pleased to see Polumbus having a decent outing but still thought the left side of the line supported the run better.

All in all, the offensive line did what was asked of it But I'd also note the Saints defense is not known for getting that many sacks or even creating a lot of interior line pressure -- and their 'leader' (Vilma) didn't play.

I'm not sure how I feel about the offensive line's performance yet, to be honest. If I scrape up the money to get the all 22 film, I'm going to buy it and take a look. My first glance opinion is that they played relatively well, but they had some leaks that with a different guy under center would have had us all going berserk. I'm not sure we did a good job on second level defenders in the running game, either. But we mostly played decent to good. That's my first impression without really delving in.

Archived