Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets hear it for......the O line.

21MadFan

This thread is a perfect example of how a QB's release, awareness, and elusiveness makes the line much better, instantly. It is amazing to me that so many don't see it.

If Campbell were back there for this game the line would have looked bad. That's not an indictment of our line, that's just how the modern game is. "pass protection" is up to the QB. It is no longer 1988.

I'll reserve judgment for now. With RG3 being so mobile, a lot of the OLine ills will be masked. If he had to just stand in a pocket, I think it would have been quite different.

With the exception of the 1991 Redskins o-line, No QB has the kind of offensive line where he can sit back with little to no pressure for four full quarters. Great QBs have a knack for avoiding sacks and making plays and that's what RG3 did. The run blocking needs to get better, because Morris got most of his yards on his own and he was very impressive doing it. If the OL can open some holes consistently the rookie RB will have a big year. If RG3 keeps improving this offense can be a real problem for defenses.

The defense now has some help. If the team can stay healthy, it will be a handful to deal with.

Hell, we need a "lets hear it for the D-Line" also. Batting passes down, getting in Brees face, sacks, pressure and holding their running game to 35 yards, when they were one of the best running teams last year in addition to passing.

Definitely. We had 13 passes defended yesterday, 5 of them by Orakpo and Bowen on the line (well, Orakpo had one down-field that should've been an INT, and there were another 8 by our secondary). Bowen came up big on that first drive with a bat that helped to set the tone for the rest of the game.

Whole defense did awesome. We defended 25% of Brees' passes, the guy who is probably one of the best in the game. That certainly counts for a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyler Polumbus got worked over by Chris Long. But I'm not surprised or disappointed by it, since I expected that to happen. Long is very good, and Polumbus wasn't even supposed to be our starter this year.

Kory is still working his way back from injury, I'm a bit disappointed by that. I also feel like Chris Chester should be doing better in his second year of the scheme. Trent Williams largely had a good day. Robert Quinn had 1 sack, but that was probably the only play in which he was close to being a factor.

Do we still need to address the o-line? Absolutely. Specifically the Right Tackle position. I feel like our offensive scheme will get much better and more diverse with an above average RT. It'll let Griffin really able to make plays from his fakes, boots, etc.

Tyler Polumbus got worked over by Chris Long. But I'm not surprised or disappointed by it, since I expected that to happen. Long is very good, and Polumbus wasn't even supposed to be our starter this year.

Kory is still working his way back from injury, I'm a bit disappointed by that. I also feel like Chris Chester should be doing better in his second year of the scheme. Trent Williams largely had a good day. Robert Quinn had 1 sack, but that was probably the only play in which he was close to being a factor.

Do we still need to address the o-line? Absolutely. Specifically the Right Tackle position. I feel like our offensive scheme will get much better and more diverse with an above average RT. It'll let Griffin really able to make plays from his fakes, boots, etc.

This is how Kory is "working his way back from injury".

1) Fall Down

2) Hold

3) False Start

4) Block Air

5) Repeat

Sadly, we have no better options.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this one.

Gotta give it up to the O Line today. I thought against that number one rush defense our line would have some issues, but they proved me wrong today. 160 yards on the ground, and I felt like they did a good job of protecting RGIII all day.

Great job guys!

We haven't faced the Giants or Eagles yet. Saints, blah, Rams(Long but blah) , Bengals have good pass rushers and they got there....They did a nice job against Tampa, no denying that. RG3's quick release, moving around, and escaping helps. The oline is fair, they are overachievers probably for their talent. Idk yet. We'll see.

The oline is absolutely dreadful in pass blocking, the only reason we don't give up a sack on every other drop back is because RG3 can run. Polumbus can't block anyone at RT, and we consistently allow pressure up the middle. Trent is only one who is competent when it comes to protecting the QB.

I think this line goes as Trent Williams goes. He played well today, the coaches had a better game plan, and Rg3 stayed upright. Last week vs. Bengals the line was Swiss Cheese, every time Rg3 dropped back he got murdered. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about the line. If this group stays healthy they can gel. We gotta have Trent to make anything happen with the group.

There should be a lot more love for Trent Williams going on right now. He DOMINATED Will Smith!!! Dominated!!! Go back and take a loook at the first 4th and 1 play. Sure, Young had a great second effort to get the first down. But, it was Williams who caved in the entire defensive line by absolutely making Will Smith his personal beeotch.

Trent Williams was AWESOME today!!!

This is the entire reason. trent williams was healthy enough to play. If he weren't the skins would have lost.

Yeah, they did a great job today. It helped that the coaches didn't run every offensive play out of shotgun and that the defense had to play against an offense that changed frequently, so the coaches put the OL in a position to do a great job and they did.

Especially when you think the Skins put up more rushing yards than the Bucs had allowed in their first 3 games combined:

1st 3 games: 142 yards vs the Giants, Cowboys, and the Panthers not killer running teams but still

Vs Redskins: 160 yards

Even giving up 160 to us yesterday, they're still in 4th place for rushing yards allowed.

---------- Post added October-1st-2012 at 11:46 AM ----------

Did anybody see the Green Bay play in the red zone where Rodgers had like....forever in the pocket? It was amazing. He helped a bit with some shuffling in the pocket, but almost stood still and held the ball about 7, 8, 9 seconds.

Yeah, my brother is a huge Packers fan so we had the Skins game on my tv and the Packers on the computer. That play was ridiculous, but I don't think the Saints rushed more than 3 or 4, but still it was impressive. We were both screaming for him to get rid of the ball.

Archived