Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meriweather out 4-6 weeks (Actually, 2-4 weeks---MET)

chet06

We need to fire the training staff. These injuries are getting ridiculous.

I used to say that all the time when we used to get hammy's and junk like that constantly.

Unfortunately, We have a lot of players under Shanny that keep breaking or straining ACL and MCL's. Not really something a trainer can prevent.

Part of the reason though is because Shanny keeps trying to improve the roster by getting starting caliber guys that are FAs because they were previously injured. e.g. Atogwe, J. Brown, J. Morgan, M. Williams (has long injury history)

But that was probably the best strategy for Shanny to make the team competitive faster. Replacing an entire roster with draft picks and allowing those picks to develope takes lots of time.

:ols:

The only good training staff is the one that prevents ALL injuries.

NO TEAM has the injuries we have!

---------- Post added September-5th-2012 at 08:47 PM ----------

as I live and breathe the Tris?

Que Paso?

1st year of law school - had to uncoil myself from some of the lovely debate on here unfortunately.

Will be around when I can (or when something like the collective panic over an injury to an at-best-average starter requires my two cents).

Hope all is well with you brother.

Man, the hate for LaRon on this board is insane. if we had a defensive player that played as well as he has this preseason, there would be "LaRon Landry: DPOY?" threads. He is just doing what he has always done, which is play like an Elite Safety when he is at SS and feeling good. We didn't re-sign him because he didn't want to have surgery and miss a year... He WANTED to play. Screw him, right? Man, I could care less how he plays this year, but you guys are cold. He hasn't bad mouthed the Organization or anything.. And how do you guys know that he is gonna get hurt Week 1? Josh Morgan is injury prone, but he played well this Preseason. So, is he gonna get hurt Week 1?

But man, Tanard really screwed us.. Just don't smoke pot for 5 or so more years..Then smoke all you want..But dang..

I've thought for a long time that DHall would be a good safety... Free Safety. More deep than around the box. I guess we are gonna have to go for the Gomes experiment again this year.. I hope he got a little stronger, though. He was average last year, but seeing Gronk carry him was awful.

Next year, Ryan Mundy is gonna be a FA. He is gonna be pretty good in a couple of years.

I dont know why' date=' but Gomes/Bernstine sounds better than Williams/Doughty. Younger, more athletic, a lot more range[/quote']

Exactly what the Dr. ordered, youth and speed to kill the pain.

---------- Post added September-5th-2012 at 10:24 PM ----------

Sean Taylor curse anybody?

Apparently Nobody but you.

the Landry hate is somewhat ridiculous. when has he ever bad mouthed this organization? Any off field issues? the guy showed and played his guts out. But unfortunately, he couldn't stay healthy. The animosity appears to stem from posters on this board over 40, who despise the fact that he flexes after every tackle- seriously, who cares? The guy is having fun.

and people also seem to forget that Merriweather isn't very good. there's a reason he was playing on a minimum salary to begin with. I'm not sure there's too pronounced a drop-off from him to Gomes. none of this helps of course, that Landry is playing extremely well in preseason on his supposedly career ending Achilles, while our boy will miss the first four weeks.

If he was as bad as you say he wouldn't have survived three coaches and be one of the longest tenured redskins. He does his job. He's great at special teams and great at run support. If you're thinking any backup strong safety in the league can deny megatron or Andre Johnson a touchdown with ease then you should try following other teams more often. That being said he IS a liability in coverage and I don't expect him to be in the majority of plays against any pass happy teams.

Fair enough. I don't mean to dog the guy for fun. Believe me. He's a real redskin and a really great guy. I can't stand watching him get torched over and over again. I don't doubt that he's a good soldier, does what he's told, knows the plays and is a smart player. He just can't keep up with NFL recievers and its just a very important part of being a defensive back in the NFL.

Coverage schemes are going to be critical to try to avoid getting our safeties tied up in man coverage - Jimmy Graham down the seams is going to be a big threat. We play a lot of Cover 3 zones with 3 guys underneath allowing a fire zone pressure with 5 rushers - I would expect to see Hall in that deep 3 a lot.

We already knew pressure was important from the front 7 - its vital now.

It seems that some teams, like the Packers for instance, when a DB goes down they plug another guy in and they don't miss a beat. I know alot of that has to do with excellent drafting but I also feel that the coaches do a great job of getting the backups ready to go. I hope that since we have a very good db coach in Morris that he can fire up Gomes, Doughty and Bernstine and somehow make them better. I would also make a call to Nick Collins and see how his injuries are coming along, just in case.

Lets not act like the sky is falling. Basically the secondary is what it was last year but hopefully with an upgrade in Williams and an improved second year Gomes. The Saints would put it on Meriweather just the same. Hopefully, the difference with this years team is offensively. We averaged 18 a damn game last year. Hopefully, that aspect of our team improves with the upgrades in talent

Who do you see Williams as an upgrade on? I have not been impressed with what he showed in preseason and if Jackson had not been suspended Williams would have started on the bench.

I think it is an upgrade somewhat. At least another body with experience and leadership. He's at least better than rookie version Gomes and Doughty. That's basically what we had last year when Landry and Atogwe were injured.

I'm banking on Wilson to be great, Hall to be at least somewhat better, Gomes to be better, and Crawford to surprise.

I think it is an upgrade somewhat. At least another body with experience and leadership. He's at least better than rookie version Gomes and Doughty. That's basically what we had last year when Landry and Atogwe were injured.

I'm banking on Wilson to be great, Hall to be at least somewhat better, Gomes to be better, and Crawford to surprise.

I guess Williams and Atogwe are maybe a wash - at least Williams seems healthy which is something Atogwe was not. Williams is really just a veteran body at FS IMO. Gomes will likely get the start at SS and should be better than last year based on the experience he gained - but I doubt Drew Brees is lying awake at night worrying about our safeties and I bet Jimmy Graham can hardly wait for Sunday as well. Our corners need safety help but the way things are shaking out we may need to move our coverages around to give the safeties help exposing the corners and linebackers underneath. Expect to see a lot of zone coverage - which Brees is great at picking apart.

If either of Williams or Gomes gets knicked up then in jogs Doughty who I like as a special teams player but has no business playing safety in the NFL ....

Archived