Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meriweather out 4-6 weeks (Actually, 2-4 weeks---MET)

chet06

Remind me again why we let Laron Landry go?

Because after tackling an opposing RB who was capable of somehow gaining a billion yards on say 3rd and 24, he would dance in victory as if he single-handedly stopped him in the backfield to force a 4th down. That and he was always injured.

Look I get you are a homer but the fact is I have never seen our secondary so putrid except when Stanley Richards was the sherrif in town...I hope I am dead wrong and the front 7 apply pressure and our secondary looks awesome..and RGIII lights it up and we run the ball and control the clock and Brees is on the bench for most of the game drinking a swamp water....but if not it could be a long day

Look, I'm not a homer, I just think you guys are overeacting to "one" injury. This defense is modeled after the Steelers 3-4, which means the front 7 is what drives it. Our front 7 is healthier than it's ever been. I wish everyone would stop looking at that stupid Bears preseason game. Cutler hadn't played in almost a year, so he was pumped. He hadn't played with Marshall in a real game in 3 years, so he was pumped. Who do you know in the Steelers secondary besides Polamalu who is considered a HOFer? They usually have no names in the secondary. Will Brees get his yards? Yes, he always does. But we have beaten him 2 of the last 3 times and it should have been 3. You gotta roll with what you got. No sense in cryng about it.

---------- Post added September-6th-2012 at 08:02 AM ----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Doughty/Gomes start against NYG in one of our victories against them last year?

I think a lot of the concerns over the safety position are a bit overblown. Yes, it's a weak spot, but the Skins could do worse. Beyond that, I DEFINITELY don't think the difference between Doughty and Meriweather is enough to acquiesce to defeat already. It's not like he's replacing Ed Reed, and it's not like swapping London Fletcher out for Keenan Robinson. Just my opinion.

You are correct and I agree with your opinion.

Look, I'm not a homer, I just think you guys are overeacting to "one" injury. This defense is modeled after the Steelers 3-4, which means the front 7 is what drives it.....

Haslett's scheme is similar to LeBeau's in personnel only. We run a 34. They run a 34. There the similarity's end.

This isn't the place, and needs it's own thread, but IMHO, this D will never be a great D, regardless or personnel; so long as that predictable, uninventive chump is running the show.

Hail.

Nope, we are the only team with injuries and who get screwed by refs. Also, bad bounces always go against us and we never catch a break.

And the media hates us.

---------- Post added September-6th-2012 at 08:19 AM ----------

Haslett's scheme is similar to LeBeau's in personnel only. We run a 34. They run a 34. There the similarity's end.

This isn't the place, and needs it's own thread, but IMHO, this D will never be a great D, regardless or personnel; so long as that predictable, uninventive chump is running the show.

Hail.

I said it's modeled after their scheme, I didn't say it's as good as theirs. We still have a ways to go to become a dominant defense, but I expect the front 7 to improve. And I hope the chump is gone along with the gum chomping doofus on special teams.

---------- Post added September-6th-2012 at 08:20 AM ----------

Raheem will have them prepared. I remember somewhere during training camp he said he wanted a versatile secondary so that when someone is out, the others can be interchangeable.

I would take Landry back at this point. Once we finally figured he is a SS not a FS he did fine, he just got too damn big and thus injured. He was basically a LB at FS - we could all see it. Yet was expected to cover DeSean's of the NFL deep with LOS in the cover 2 and it was a failure from the start. Yep LOS our best cover corner rarely played shutdown man so LaRon had some tough assignments. Filling in for Sean Taylor were huge shoes no one should have expected him to fill.

I know I know Reed is a good tackler.

I would take Landry back at this point. Once we finally figured he is a SS not a FS he did fine, he just got too damn big and thus injured. He was basically a LB at FS - we could all see it. Yet was expected to cover DeSean's of the NFL deep with LOS in the cover 2 and it was a failure from the start. Yep LOS our best cover corner rarely played shutdown man so LaRon had some tough assignments. Filling in for Sean Taylor were huge shoes no one should have expected him to fill.

I know I know Reed is a good tackler.

Landry is on the Jets injury report already with his achilles - he is expected to play this week and was full go in practice according to the report I read but its LONG odds he makes it through 16 games or anything close to that.

Choosing two out of Reed Doughty, Madieu Williams and DeJon Gomes is not good. Then when you're going to New Orleans to suit up against Brees and company?

I'd like to see Gomes and Williams... I guess. We need to attempt to defend the pass.

There's always Bernstine, though I doubt he gets much time out there... assuming he's activated.

saw it on the Bleacher Report and

tweeteed by Adam Shefter "Mike Shanahan said S Brandon Meriweather sprained his MCL and PCL during practice and will mist tow to four weeks"....that sucks

Ouch, the dreaded 4 week mistletoe. 

"I wish we had Landry back." "I wish we had Otagwe back." "I wish we had Carlos back."

Man, never thought our fanbase would be this wussified. Here, I'll add my own-

"I wish we had Monk, Clark and Sanders back."

"I wish we had Wilbur Marshall back."

" I wish we had 1991 Mark Rypien back,"

Bah, bunch of whiners over 1 injury.

"I wish we had Landry back." "I wish we had Otagwe back." "I wish we had Carlos back."

Man, never thought our fanbase would be this wussified. Here, I'll add my own-

"I wish we had Monk, Clark and Sanders back."

"I wish we had Wilbur Marshall back."

" I wish we had 1991 Mark Rypien back,"

Bah, bunch of whiners over 1 injury.

I wish I'd woken up next to Charlize Theron this AM.

Thought I'd add, shrugs.

Hail.

I've watched every college snap of Bernstine's the last few years while he was at Iowa, and I can tell you that although he ran fast at the combine, he's better up in the box in a reed doughty type role right now. He was good back in coverage against college WRs, but not amazing. What I mean is, he was much more impressive in games against option type teams. He didn't look all that great against Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson who ran offenses with multiple routes. A slow defender who can make the correct read and react is going to get there faster than a burner who's first step may be in the wrong direction. I do think he COULD be a starter in a year or two, but he needs coached up a little more. He did have great ability to make a play on the ball when he put himself in the right spot. Basically he has all the physical tools, which I'm sure is why Shanny drafted him and is why I feel he has pretty good potential moving forward. It just takes time before it's instinctive at this level.

I don't wish we had Landry back, per say. I wish he was still on the team because when playing, he is far and away better than what we've got. But, I don't wish he was back on the team. Having LaRon is like having a thousand dollar remote control car. It's really fun when it's working, it's flying around, and doing awesome things. But, most of the time, it's not gonna be working correctly. If I was assured LL would come back and be healthy for the rest of his career, I'd probably trade Rak for him. LL at his healthy best playing SS is amazing.

I would play Bernstine and Gomes. Williams is the FS version of Doughty.. Slow. It doesn't matter that Reed is always at the right place at the right time, because he is too slow to do anything with it. Williams at this point of his career is just as slow as Doughty is.

Now, while I don't think Gomes is very good, he is better than Doughty. I don't feel the same way about Bernstine and Williams, though. I believe Williams is still better than Jordan, but the difference isn't gonna make a difference.

If they had Rogers and Wilson instead of Hall and Wilson, the Skins could probably get by with a bad safety or two. The Rogers situation still pisses me off. Hall gets cut because he sucked in his previous job and immediately comes and gets a huge contract. Who wouldn't get pissed (like Rogers did)?

On that note, Hall is already bad (according to footbaloutsiders) in coverage, why would he be any better at safety (let's ignore, for a second, that he can't tackle worth a damn)? Why does everyone think you can just turn a cornerback into a safety just like that?

This "Deangelo Hall can't tackle" sentiment is played out. If you actually watched the games last year he was one of the more sure tacklers on the team. He has a reputation of a non-tackler but over and over again last year he made great tackles. Probably why he was second on the team only to London Fletcher! Let that digest for a second. 90 tackles. Just sick of seeing people say he can't tackle because they heard someone else say that.

This "Deangelo Hall can't tackle" sentiment is played out. If you actually watched the games last year he was one of the more sure tacklers on the team. He has a reputation of a non-tackler but over and over again last year he made great tackles. Probably why he was second on the team only to London Fletcher! Let that digest for a second. 90 tackles. Just sick of seeing people say he can't tackle because they heard someone else say that.

Yeah, when Matt Miller scouted every CB in the NFL, he actually gave Hall a pretty good tackling grade. I think the Jake Dellhome thing really gave him a bad name.

You're right. Hall has been a good tackler, especially against the run. There are so many "myths" going around about our players, I get tired of having to defend them. People throwing out generalizations, doesn't equate football knowledge or good debate.

Archived