Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meriweather out 4-6 weeks (Actually, 2-4 weeks---MET)

chet06

Remind me again why we let Laron Landry go?

I had big hopes for Taylor and Landry, and well, Taylor was taken from this earth, and Landry decided that steroids were more important than football. Take a look back at David Boston, steroids break down your body. Landry refused the necessary treatment for his achilles, most likely because he knew steroids would be discovered. I give that guy another 2 years in football, then he will become a body builder, his TRUE passion.

um....Atogwe is already hurt this year and Landry will be after week 1. So it's an irrelevant "what if" in my opinion

Well your wrong it's irrelevant, because they picked up those players to replace the ones we cut. So in other words we cut two players and didn't fill the holes. I already said landry and Atogwe aren't anything special, but we didn't upgrade or hell even fill the spots that were made after we cut those too.

Okay, I am looking at it like this; I don't care if Rod Woodson, Sean Taylor, Darell Green, and Deion Sanders are the starting secondary for this team against the Saints, the key to this, and every game we play against a team who likes to throw the ball is the pass rush. Look at the top passing defenses last year, I gurantee you most, if not all, had excellent pass rush.

While the secondary is important, our sucess will depend on getting pressure on Brees.

I am utterly unconcerned.

There are several positions where we lack depth.

But, we have solid depth at safety we just lack a frontline starter.

Reed and Gomes each started 8 games last year.

Reed was a starter in 4 of the 5 wins last year.

Suffice it to say Reed isn't nearly the weak link in the defense everyone likes to make him out to be.

Relax.

Reed or Gomes starting has been the norm for awhile now.

They're both assignment sound players which is more then we can say for Meriweather.

-Hail

I'm not all that excited about Meriweather anyway..Gomes has shown some signs at least. Tanard Jackson geez!!!!!

I can't believe the Skins don't have a FS on the PS..

Doughty sucks period end of story. I cannot believe this guy is still on the roster...Prove me wrong Doughty and make a play Sunday like an INT or a good tackle..wow that would be unreal to see wouldn't it? His highlight reel is a blank movie, "wrong place, wrong time Doughty"!

I am pretty sure these are the situations we brough Raheem in for.

While its true that even Picasso couldnt do art without paint, I think Raheem gives us a fighting chance...maybe he can scheme it well enough to get along. I mean he saw a LOT of Brees.

Here's to hoping.

REED CURSE LIVES!

You guys act like B. Meriweather was the one thing keeping us from winning...come on now

I like my chances better with him back there. I was really hoping for a Jackson Meriweather tandem back there because I like how aggressive they play. I think Meriweather is going to change alot of opinions about him once you see him play out of the cover 2.

I didn't know much about M. Williams but what I saw in that Colts game has me a little worried. Pair that with Reed Doughty and Dejon Gomes below average abilities and we're in for a long day.

Kind of reminds me of that Houston game a couple of years ago when Laron Landry had to go out and Chris Horton and Reed Doughty were the safeties for a series or two. I pretty much knew it was game over.

2. When Jets fans heard the news that they're favorite team would not keep Jim Leonhard, a safety that has been the quarterback of the Jets defense with a great amount of success, they were very skeptical of the decision. Now after four preseason games, LaRon Landry has helped make Jets fans forget about the absence of Leonhard. The new Jets safety, who signed with them this off-season has made a big splash in New York so far. Game in and game out, LaRon has tackled with authority, giving the Jets some the biggest hits they've had this preseason. Landry had 7 combined tackles, 4 total tackles, and 3 assists. While maintaining his intimidating presence, the safety also intercepted the opposing quarterback twice, once in the New York Giants game, the other in the Carolina Panthers game. With that being said, LaRon Landry has been a monster this preseason, being both a big hitter and a effective safety in harmony. Look for LaRon Landry to lay down some of the hardest hits the 2012 NFL season will have to offer! After all he is the strongest NFL athlete...

http://newyorksportsworld.com/2012/09/01/jets-2012-pre-season-standouts.aspx

Just sayin :)

All you Laron haters will be disapponted this year and eat crow just like you did with Carlos.

If they had Rogers and Wilson instead of Hall and Wilson, the Skins could probably get by with a bad safety or two. The Rogers situation still pisses me off. Hall gets cut because he sucked in his previous job and immediately comes and gets a huge contract. Who wouldn't get pissed (like Rogers did)?

On that note, Hall is already bad (according to footbaloutsiders) in coverage, why would he be any better at safety (let's ignore, for a second, that he can't tackle worth a damn)? Why does everyone think you can just turn a cornerback into a safety just like that?

There's a reason they paid him a pittance, he's unreliable and misses more games than he played. If you don't think his achilles will act up again this year you are fooling yourself. Comparing him to Champ Bailey ( who didn't want to be here at all btw) is laughable.

Predicting that Carlos would have 6 pics before last year was laughable too. Lol

I am utterly unconcerned.

There are several positions where we lack depth.

But, we have solid depth at safety we just lack a frontline starter.

Reed and Gomes each started 8 games last year.

Reed was a starter in 4 of the 5 wins last year.

Suffice it to say Reed isn't nearly the weak link in the defense everyone likes to make him out to be.

Relax.

Reed or Gomes starting has been the norm for awhile now.

They're both assignment sound players which is more then we can say for Meriweather.

-Hail

Thank you for coming on here and actually making sense, instead of just declaring a straight up loss.

Gomes and Doughty will just have to suffice. I also agree that Doughty catches a lot more crap than he actually deserves.

Dudes.

We were going to get "torched" anyway. I don't think I can explain this enough. We're playing Drew frakking Brees, in the frakking Superdome. Even with Merriweather and T-Jax it was going to be a friggin' long shot that we held hi in check.

The way you beat Brees isn't with coverage. It's with pressure. Lots and lots and lots and LOTS of pressure. If we can't get after him with a 4-5 man rush, we're doomed, and given that they have one of the best o-lines in football...you see where I'm going, right?

Breesus is going to walk into the stadium and remain Breesus. If Sean Taylor were alive today and on his way to the Hall of Fame, he'd still have issues with Brees. Brees is good, folks.

Our goal won't be to completely stop him, but simply to contain them and pray we can make them kick more field goals than they can score touchdowns. They're going to rack of the yardage because that's what they do.

As for anyone complaining about us not getting any good safeties, all the good safeties got locked up on the franchise tag, then got extended. It's going to be slim pickings as far as safeties go, so we just have to draft our own and hope we luck out.

---------- Post added September-5th-2012 at 06:11 PM ----------

Predicting that Carlos would have 6 pics before last year was laughable too. Lol

'Los was a knucklehead and an *******, but he was still talented. He just had no desire to use that talent for us. He wanted out pretty much as soon as Gibbs left.

He went to the 49ers and was put in a situation where he basically couldn't be lazy or he wouldn't get a contract. But he was healthy and fully capable of playing football, and when Los wants to play, he's pretty damn good.

Dirty is always going to be that guy who gets targeted on a 40 yard completion, pops a 5'10" 200 pound receiver, doesn't separate him from the ball, but still gets up and flexes kind of guy. He's going to get dismantled by Tom Brady and then his injury will flare up.

I really find it hard to understand how losing Merriweather, who really isn't that great anyway, is that big of a loss?

I'll echo the sentiment of others that the only way we're going to be able to beat Brees is to put pressure on him ALL, GAME, LONG. It doesn't matter if you have Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott at safety, the Saints are going to mostly kill us with the intermediate game. In fact, I predict the biggest games for Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles.

The only way we win in the dome is if A) our offense can put up points on the scoreboard and B) our defense rattles Brees enough to make mistakes.

Archived