Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meriweather out 4-6 weeks (Actually, 2-4 weeks---MET)

chet06

Suffice it to say Reed isn't nearly the weak link in the defense everyone likes to make him out to be.

I don't know how anyone who watches our team on any kind of a consistent basis can actually say this. In my opinion, this team hasn't turned the corner until a player like Reed Doughty is no longer on it.

Before I get jumped for that, let me say that I think he's a great guy. He's a smart player. I think he has great work ethic and from all accounts he is a team guy through and through. He just can't play. Period. He just isn't athletic enough. I am consistently stunned that I see this guy playing back there week in and week out, year in and year out. I think he flat out can't play. He gets juked out of his jock repeatedly. He is always late to the ball. He is too slow. He's just not good enough. He isn't. I don't even know how people can debate that. Drew brees and co will absolutely eat us alive if he is starting at safety this weekend. Now, maybe we can say it wouldn't have been enormously different with merriweather. That seems fair but the overall point is Reed Doughty is exactly what's wrong with our franchise right now. Its the inverse of Albert Haynseworth who was super talented but a terrible human being. Reed is a terrible talent and a great human being.

I would be FASCINATED to see if he actually got cut from our team if he would be in the league. Seriously. That is how bad I feel about reed doughty's play. Again, love rooting for the guy as a person. But I literally cringe at the thought of him covering ANYONE on the saints.

Remind me again why we let Laron Landry go?

Because he is bonehead, not a safety.

---------- Post added September-5th-2012 at 06:35 PM ----------

TOUCHDOWN DREW BREES!

Why do I feel like I will be hearing that all day Sunday. . . . :(

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2012/03/Drew-Brees1.jpg

Well you were going to hear it anyway because our secondary was not very good to begin with and frankly I think we are still in the same position - our secondary is still not very good. However the silver lining here is the hope that our D line and LB can put pressure on Bree's and stifle his productivity a bit. But realistically I think Bree's will have his way with our secondary.

I don't know how anyone who watches our team on any kind of a consistent basis can actually say this. In my opinion, this team hasn't turned the corner until a player like Reed Doughty is no longer on it.

Before I get jumped for that, let me say that I think he's a great guy. He's a smart player. I think he has great work ethic and from all accounts he is a team guy through and through. He just can't play. Period. He just isn't athletic enough. I am consistently stunned that I see this guy playing back there week in and week out, year in and year out. I think he flat out can't play. He gets juked out of his jock repeatedly. He is always late to the ball. He is too slow. He's just not good enough. He isn't. I don't even know how people can debate that. Drew brees and co will absolutely eat us alive if he is starting at safety this weekend. Now, maybe we can say it wouldn't have been enormously different with merriweather. That seems fair but the overall point is Reed Doughty is exactly what's wrong with our franchise right now. Its the inverse of Albert Haynseworth who was super talented but a terrible human being. Reed is a terrible talent and a great human being.

I would be FASCINATED to see if he actually got cut from our team if he would be in the league. Seriously. That is how bad I feel about reed doughty's play. Again, love rooting for the guy as a person. But I literally cringe at the thought of him covering ANYONE on the saints.

If he was as bad as you say he wouldn't have survived three coaches and be one of the longest tenured redskins. He does his job. He's great at special teams and great at run support. If you're thinking any backup strong safety in the league can deny megatron or Andre Johnson a touchdown with ease then you should try following other teams more often. That being said he IS a liability in coverage and I don't expect him to be in the majority of plays against any pass happy teams.

We've had Landry, Atogwe, Merriweather and T. Jackson on the roster between last year and now. Somehow were starting Williams and Gomes. What would it have hurt to extend Atogwe for cheap?

I think Atogwe was released because of injury from the Eagles. I think?

We've had Landry, Atogwe, Merriweather and T. Jackson on the roster between last year and now. Somehow were starting Williams and Gomes. What would it have hurt to extend Atogwe for cheap?

Dude, Atogwe isn't even on an NFL roster right now.

Last 8 games of last season, we started a combination of Doughty/Gomes/Barnes at the safety spots.

Was it pretty? No, but it also wasn't the primary reason we went 2-6 in those games. The safeties (yes, even Landry and OJ) sucked last year and they'll suck again this year. We are no worse off on the back end than we were for the majority of last season (one could even argue that 2nd year Gomes and the corpse of Madieu Williams are marginally better than 2011 Doughty/Gomes).

Meriweather (and even Jackson) weren't ever going to be the difference between winning and losing this game. Like NLC said, limiting Brees is all about pressure. If the front seven doesn't do that, it won't matter who is at safety.

Man up, suck it up, rub some dirt in it, and play ball. Drew Brees is a great player and this makes little difference. Go play and let the chips fall where they may. You can never think of this as a player-you play through-in HS and College (I assume the pro's are the same). Do you really think Meriweather makes that much of a difference? Is the drop off that significant....really???? Imho, absolutely NOT! If it was Fletch, Williams, Garcon, RGIII, Kerrigan, Blah-blah-blah, yea. They are without their TOP rushing DE, Vilma, and Vilma's replacement is dinged up. Do you realize we are actually kind of blessed health wise? Think about it. Our entire Oline almost intact (and hear Kory feels very good), starting fullback back and feeling strong. They are at more of an disadvantage than us for different reasons. We are such a wonderful and sensitive fanbase. Go fight Redskins and fight hard. HTTR :helmet:

All the more reason to get to Brees before he has a chance to pick apart our secondary. Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher, Carriker, etc. need to get in his face and make him wish he played another position. I have faith in my team and believe they can get it done. Sucks that this happened but we can make up for it.

I'm not saying that we should be playing for the future before the season even starts, but isn't most of this season about our young offense developing and gelling together? If we have struggles in the defensive backfield this year, I don't think anyone will be shocked...and that was before we lost a couple safeties. We know that we need defensive backs and offensive linemen before we will compete for the division.

Archived