Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread (National Signing Day)

ixcuincle

Not singling you out, but your post seems like the best one for me to throw out a theory that I've had for at least 10 years.

I think that the long time off between the Dec 1st "end of the regular season" and the Jan 1st "bowls that actually matter", causes a lot of teams to put up poor showings.

Heck, the NFL has problems dealing with two week's buildup to the Super Bowl. You want to give college kids 4-5 weeks off, and expect them to stay focused?

My theory is that, as the season goes along, the teams get into a rhythm. They have a system, and they follow it. They do the same thing every Monday afternoon. The same workouts in the weight room. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Then they build up, they win The Big Game. They win the Conference Championship. . .

And then they take a month off?

----------

That's why I've been pushing for NCAA to do a four-team playoff. Replace the one-month off with two weeks to get ready for the first playoff game, and then two weeks after that for the Championship Game.

I think they'd be better games, if they had less time off.

Some outlet covered Saban's prep for this game and he addreassed that issue of rhythm on terms of week to week prep. He tried to not get out of that rhythm altogether. The other advantage of having been in so many title games recently is that he had it down to a science. Saban noted that they prob practiced too much in the last title game, so he cut their total practice days down to 27. Or something like that, the point is that w was very aware of fatigue and sharpness and number of practices.

big props to woodson, but the reality is Te'o wasn't even the best linebacker in that game. let alone the best D player in the country. he was a product of the NBC/ Notre Dame hype machine.

+1

Was just about to say....that ND hype machine >>>>>

Te'o is a good player, but he got exposed last night.

Saban gives the players time off, then brings them back in like it's training game. No game prep. Pure drill work and skill work for the first few days prior to game prep. It's genius, if you think about it.

I think that's exactly what they said in that piece. Like they didn't over train specifically for Notre Dame. They sharpened basic skills for a month, is what I understood from it—then the week prior they followed the weekly schedule they normally have.

I don't know if that's what you would call "out prepare" the other team. I think it's just a smart use of knowledge on how to maximize performance. Put simply, Bama looked quick, powerful out there.

@schadjoe

Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd plans to announce today he will return for a senior season.

I always figured he would, but I was a little curious when he announced he was filing draft paperwork. So now all we have to worry about is who from the coastal will be playing them in the championship game?

She's in her young to mid 40s I bet. That's a nice Alabama MILF.

42 and looks like she's late 40's. Aside from the obvious attractions, I dont find her anything more then average. Then again I'm still young and much more focused on AJ's girlfriend than his mom.

Archived