Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread (National Signing Day)

ixcuincle

Word on Reddit is that he is meh

Not excited

Wanted PEP

Would have loved Pep but the NFL came calling. He would be gone within 2 years regardless.

This guy, eh, lets see. He isn't Stiney or O'Cain and should have a real system in place as opposed to the borg offense of 10 years wihch just throws in elements of every offense ever with no real plan.

What made VT fans think they could get a coach from Stanford to take a lateral position?

No idea, but based on the Stanford WR coach making a lateral move to VT, something clearly was there.

As for Auburn's offense last year, well apparently Auburn was a complete basket case in general the last year. He did have success at Temple, so who knows.

I am very wait and see on this.

The media spun Te'o tragedy into a storyline as word came out that Te'o lost his grandmother and girlfriend in less than 48 hours

Turns out the GF never existed

But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

The photographs identified as Kekua—in online tributes and on TV news reports—are pictures from the social-media accounts of a 22-year-old California woman who is not named Lennay Kekua. She is not a Stanford graduate; she has not been in a severe car accident; and she does not have leukemia. And she has never met Manti Te'o.

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 04:37 PM ----------

When it comes to things like this, there are just some things you cannot make up

You cannot make up a friend who "died", especially some girl who never existed. You cannot moan and cry about people who do not exist, to the national media. The nerve of him to make a story up and then perpetrate it around the MSM like it was news. If this is true, I have lost respect for him.

And I know, what does my respect mean, I'm just a nobody, I'm just pouting off on my soapbox again. But how can you lie about something like this? Why?

It just makes me extremely disappointed to hear this, if true. And it seems like it is true.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Bama might have the NCAA looking a little more closely at them now...

Salesman: Bama players used spray

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8897280/deer-antler-salesman-saw-alabama-players-use-product

The company that says it provided deer-antler spray, a product that contains a banned substance, to Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis also sold its goods to members of the 2012 national championship Alabama football team, according to a co-owner of the company.

And Christopher Key, the SWATS co-owner, told ESPN's Joe Schad on Wednesday he personally witnessed about five Alabama players spray what he sold them into their mouths.

"I showed them how to use it," Key said.

Key said about 20 players purchased the spray at a hotel room in New Orleans leading into the BCS national championship game against LSU. And he said he sold about 20 more bottles to players at the apartment of an Alabama player 10 days before the game.

Sports Illustrated first reported the connection between SWATS, an Alabama-based company, and several SEC programs.

The Sports Illustrated story reported that Key filmed a sales pitch to a number of Alabama players two days before the 2012 title game in New Orleans. The article mentioned former Crimson Tide defensive lineman Quinton Dial and current players Adrian Hubbard and Alex Watkins as being part of the sales pitch.

MORE AFTER LINK

I think this guy is trying to make a name for himself now. Why not get free publicity on the biggest media week in the world of sports. Question I have for some of you all, have you even heard of Deer Antler Spray? Eat it up while you can.

Whatever the efficacy of that stuff, he's built a big client base now. Every college, high school kid is going to try to get a hold of that stuff. Spotty science about Kiwi deer antlers? Who cares.

Ole Miss picks up #1 OT recruit and #1 DE

Holy crap they gonna be good

these things are a crapshoot. i spelled it out a while ago in a different thread regarding the last 10 years and looking at top 10 recruiting class rankings and subsequent bcs appearances. it doesn't match up well at all, though alabama has probably tipped the scales a bit recently.

WVU has a solid class...will be a great class if/when Shelton Gibson signs his LOI.

http://westvirginia.rivals.com/

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:15 AM ----------

Darrion Howard looks like a beast...

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:18 AM ----------

And WVU just flipped another Arizona commit...3star LB 6-3, 220 Brandon Golson.

This is different (flipping players instead of having them poached).

God knows, WVU needs all the defensive talent it can find. :evilg:

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:22 AM ----------

Although stealing 2 kids from RichRod and Calvin McGee is quite funny.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:42 AM ----------

Apparently signing a 6'5" 220lb Punter was key too...looks like WVU's class might be wrapped up by noon (with the exception of Shelton Gibson - who I'm not counting on coming through - been there done that).

WVU has a solid class...will be a great class if/when Shelton Gibson signs his LOI.

http://westvirginia.rivals.com/

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:15 AM ----------

Darrion Howard looks like a beast...

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:18 AM ----------

And WVU just flipped another Arizona commit...3star LB 6-3, 220 Brandon Golson.

This is different (flipping players instead of having them poached).

God knows, WVU needs all the defensive talent it can find. :evilg:

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:22 AM ----------

Although stealing 2 kids from RichRod and Calvin McGee is quite funny.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:42 AM ----------

Apparently signing a 6'5" 220lb Punter was key too...looks like WVU's class might be wrapped up by noon (with the exception of Shelton Gibson - who I'm not counting on coming through - been there done that).

not trying to be a dick, but I'm just wondering why you think it is a good class? I saw last night they were 7 in the Big 12....not the NCAA, but the Big 12...seems like that wouldn't be good to me?

to clarify...I'm a Gator fan, so I'm used to the mindset of expecting a top 10 class every year and not being happy unless it is a top 5 class. You guys have a #32 class right now according to ESPN. Is this a good position for you guys (traditionally) or do you usually do better? I don't really follow other schools on a year to year basis.

I guess if anything...it is really impressive that WVU has had a pretty good program the last 10 years without top notch recruiting classes.

on another note, how do you guys like the Big 12? Huge upgrade from the Big East, huh!

these things are a crapshoot. i spelled it out a while ago in a different thread regarding the last 10 years and looking at top 10 recruiting class rankings and subsequent bcs appearances. it doesn't match up well at all, though alabama has probably tipped the scales a bit recently.

It all comes down to coaching. A relevant NFL example would be the 49ers. They were collecting top 15 draft picks for years, and none of the coaches could put it all together until Harbaugh. At least half of their starting 22 was a 1st round draft pick. Some thing goes in college. Guys like Nick Saban can get the most out of those 4 and 5 stars, while guys like Jimbo Fisher can have 3 top 5 recruiting classes in a row and have only one conference championship to show for it.

National Signing Day today. #1 recruit Robert is going to make his decision at 7:30 AM today. :ols:

Have recruits always made their decisions this early in the morning? Don't you have to eat breakfast or something

I see Michigan State's first signee sent his notice in at 7:08 am. 7:30? Slacker!

Archived