Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread (National Signing Day)

ixcuincle

Props to the B1G for moving to stop scheduling FCS's teams. Now, if they would stop scheduling MAC teams also....

Now we just have to wait for all the other big conferences to follow suit, and the season will be that much more interesting. Especially the SEC, I'm looking at you UF.

Props to the B1G for moving to stop scheduling FCS's teams. Now, if they would stop scheduling MAC teams also....

I don't see that happening. I know MSU likes to schedule an in-state team like Central Michigan or Western Michigan almost every year and I'm sure teams like Ohio State want to keep playing in-state teams like BGSU, Miami, or Ohio. They like the intrastate nature of the games, plus they get the benefit of a tune-up or easy game on their schedule.

It's not like SEC teams aren't doing it too, playing teams like Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina.

I don't see that happening. I know MSU likes to schedule an in-state team like Central Michigan or Western Michigan almost every year and I'm sure teams like Ohio State want to keep playing in-state teams like BGSU, Miami, or Ohio. They like the intrastate nature of the games, plus they get the benefit of a tune-up or easy game on their schedule.

It's not like SEC teams aren't doing it too, playing teams like Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina.

Oh I know why they do it. I just think that they (and other Big 6 conferences) should get away from it.

I think almost every major school has a joke of an out of conference schedule. UF hasn't left the state for an out of conference game in something like 20 or 30 years. Savannah State shouldn't be on anyone's schedule, let alone Oklahoma State or Florida State (they have more of an excuse then Ok St. did). I get the some of these OOC games help the little schools out by boosting their exposure and income, but seriously a Pac12, SEC, Big12, Big10, or ACC team should only have one of those teams on their schedule max. If it were me, I'd say all the schools from those 5 conferences have to schedule each other. It would make any national champion that much more legitimate.

http://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/statuses/304065666548396032

"RT @ByTimReynolds: AP Source: Notice of allegations against Miami includes the dreaded "lack of institutional control" charge."

So when does the NCAA slap itself with the dreaded "lack of institutional control" letter that it wanted to send Miami? Does that mean Emmert will step down after this? To be honest, I don't know how they can penalize Miami after this.

So when does the NCAA slap itself with the dreaded "lack of institutional control" letter that it wanted to send Miami? Does that mean Emmert will step down after this? To be honest, I don't know how they can penalize Miami after this.

Are you saying that Miami should walk because, despite breaking all sorts of rules (alleged), the NCAA did too (alleged)?

Are you saying that Miami should walk because, despite breaking all sorts of rules (alleged), the NCAA did too (alleged)?

I don't think they deserve a bowl ban at all. Maybe some scholly's taken away and possibly fined. The university has already done enough self-imposed bowl bans and championship game bans. Anything else now would be overkill.

I don't think they deserve a bowl ban at all. Maybe some scholly's taken away and possibly fined. The university has already done enough self-imposed bowl bans and championship game bans. Anything else now would be overkill.

Exactly. I think pretty much everyone who was involved has been punished or isn't there anymore. Maybe another year of reduced scholarships, but they've already missed 2 years of bowls and missed the chance to play for the conference championship last year.

Take it for what it's worth. I don't think this will happen.

Big Ten Expansion: North Carolina Reportedly Has Offer To Move From ACC

It might be Big Ten expansion time again. It wasn’t all that long ago that the Big Ten unofficially became the Big 14. New rumors are swirling that the conference is making another push to become a 16 team conference.

16 teams has long been the “magic” number that many of the BCS conferences are looking to attain. The Big Ten took a couple of steps towards that magic number when they signed up Rutgers and Maryland in November of last year.

Both of those teams will officially become a part of the conference in July of 2014. Reports have started to surface that show that the Big Ten might not be done trying to raid the ACC for teams.

Jeff Erman 247Sports recently tweeted Virginia, Georgia Tech and North Carolina are all being courted to one degree or another by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney.

Erman said that North Carolina has already gotten an official offer while Virginia and Georgia Tech are still in the initial stages.

Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.

— Jeff Ermann (@insidemdsports) February 19, 2013

http://www.inquisitr.com/534094/big-ten-expansion-north-carolina-reportedly-has-offer-to-move-from-acc/

If this does happen, look for FSU, Miami, and Clemson to make a jump. The B1G 10 commish, a UNC alum, has been pushing for UNC after he got UMD and Rutgers.

http://www.inquisitr.com/534094/big-ten-expansion-north-carolina-reportedly-has-offer-to-move-from-acc/

If this does happen, look for FSU, Miami, and Clemson to make a jump. The B1G 10 commish, a UNC alum, has been pushing for UNC after he got UMD and Rutgers.

UNC-Chapel Hill *is* the ACC. I can't see how the conference survives without it.

Reasons why UNC won't make the jump

-They have the conference commissioner in their back pocket.

-Leaving their main rivals Duke and UNC behind. That trio loves to be together. If UNC goes I feel like at least one other would have to go. NCState would probably be the oddball that stays.

-The ACC is a better match for their football team. They're not ready for big boy 100,000 seat stadiums.

-They don't gain much of anything in basketball, except maybe money. But then again they are losing their big games against rivals.

I will be downright shocked if they leave. The ACC is obviously moving to try and be a more football oriented conference and UNC only kinda fits into that mold. Not a whole lot of football success really, even though they could have been in the conference championship last year.

UNC-Chapel Hill *is* the ACC. I can't see how the conference survives without it.

Like I said above. Swofford acts in the best interests of the North Carolina teams. If UNC leaves and Swofford hangs around it'll signal an exodus to focus on football for the well being of the conference which is probably a good thing. That is if the rest of the conference manages to hold together.

Notice lately how it's the weak football teams leaving or looking to leave? I think maybe it is because the ACC is trying desperately to keep up in football. There's probably a lot of discussion behind the scenes focusing on the future of the conference, and I doubt UNC, Duke, etc. are excited about moving from a basketball conference to a football conference.The fact that all the weak teams are leaving doesnt bother me. I'd rather take 10 solid football programs then 14 schools who aren't competitive.

Bottom line is, i'm not gonna get excited about annual off season rumors. We hear this stuff every year. When I see something besides writer gossip, then i'll get interested.

@DanWolken

Never say never, I guess, but after talking with UNC officials tonight the idea they have anything going on with the B1G seems far-fetched

Maryland surprised me at the time, but looking back it makes sense. They don't dominate basketball like the North Carolina teams, and they were competitive at best in football. Plus their program was losing money like nobodies business. They have a rivalry with Virginia I guess but it's not anything big. They're able to change conferences while maintaining their same place on the totem poll and make more money. Win - win.

Hard to see why the B1G would target North Carolina. The fit with academics and big research programs is good, and that is always a factor for the B1G (although I never understood why they took Nebraska, which is by far the weak sister academically in the conference).

Otherwise, UNC doesn't really give them what they want, which is a presence in as many of the large TV markets as they can reach. Virginia seems like a better match, because between Maryland and UVa, you would put a hammerlock on the growing a wealthy DC market. Another school in the New York area would be good, but there aren't many good prospects up there.

I also cant see why UNC would want to do it. They would lose connection with all of their natural rivals.

Hard to see why the B1G would target North Carolina. The fit with academics and big research programs is good, and that is always a factor for the B1G (although I never understood why they took Nebraska, which is by far the weak sister academically in the conference).

Otherwise, UNC doesn't really give them what they want, which is a presence in as many of the large TV markets as they can reach. Virginia seems like a better match, because between Maryland and UVa, you would put a hammerlock on the growing a wealthy DC market. Another school in the New York area would be good, but there aren't many good prospects up there.

I also cant see why UNC would want to do it. They would lose connection with all of their natural rivals.

If the North Carolina market is big enough to have it's own NFL team, i can't see why it wouldn't be a good market for the Big10. Your right though, Virginia seems like a better option.

Maryland surprised me at the time, but looking back it makes sense. They don't dominate basketball like the North Carolina teams, and they were competitive at best in football. Plus their program was losing money like nobodies business. They have a rivalry with Virginia I guess but it's not anything big. They're able to change conferences while maintaining their same place on the totem poll and make more money. Win - win.

That will actually improve my marriage as Pez and I will not be at each others throat on Saturday's :) Pez- MD Me- Clemson

Nebraska was part of that AAU Research Group or whatever it is that the Big-10 generally requires for consideration. But they lost that certification, and I believe it happened when the move was already in progress.

• 2 weeks later...
B12 in talks to replace BE (or whatever is will be called) in Russell Athletic Bowl starting in 2014.

That has to be a relief for the ACC.

Absolutely. Will make the game a much better match up. The best Russell Athletic Bowl recently was probably FSU vs Notre Dame. And Notre Dame wasn't even really apart of the Big East. :ols:

Also the Big East is looking to change it's name to the American 12 Conference.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/7/4075758/america-12-conference-big-east-football

Archived