Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Finally Respect LeBron James?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think that's doubtful mostly because people that hate will watch, which can/will drive ratings/interest in anything that he does in the future.
The face always makes more money than the heel.

Most of this story is still unwritten, but I don't think LeBron wants to be the hated villain for the rest of his career. He wants to be MJ, not Isaiah. And he can probably achieve that if he wins a few more championships. But I don't think he needed "The Decision" to build up his profile. Everyone was already going to be watching to see how he fit into the Heat, and there was already a great storyline with these super-teams forming in New York, Chicago, and Miami taking on the former super teams in Boston and LA. LeBron didn't need "The Decision" to build any hype.

All I'm saying is that I think the backlash from "The Decision" cost him more than the $3 million he raised.

I thought Scottie Pippen had more to do with that than Jordan b/c Pippen was in a contract dispute with the Bulls about giving more money to the rookie Toni Kukoc then to Pippen who was working out a new deal. I would give Jordan a pass on that one, I mean that team humiliated everyone they faced.

I thought Scottie Pippen had more to do with that than Jordan b/c Pippen was in a contract dispute with the Bulls about giving more money to the rookie Toni Kukoc then to Pippen who was working out a new deal. I would give Jordan a pass on that one, I mean that team humiliated everyone they faced.

I think it was more Pippin than MJ. I think it was Pippin who said he didn't think Kukoc could play in the NBA.

I disliked Lebron before the Decision, I respected his game, I even owned his first shoe that came out (still one of my favorites, felt like I was running on air); I didnt hate him.

After the Decision - cant stand him, loathe him, hate him.

I think it was more Pippin than MJ. I think it was Pippin who said he didn't think Kukoc could play in the NBA.

That's correct the dream team special on espn touched on that story and when they asked MJ about the whole incident and if he believed that Toni Kukoc could play in the NBA he said something along the lines of "it wasn't fair to judge Kukoc on that game b/c he (kukoc) wasn't playing on a team with NBA all stars like Team USA was"

Winning a championship means you, and your team, deserve respect for your athletic achievement.

It does not suddenly make you a better person who now deserves more respect outside of the sport.

Exactly. And I'm not even gonna say that LeBron is a bad person. I don't know him. But with "the decison", the celebration afterwords and the mocking of Dirk in last years finals, along with Wade, all of that rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm not sure guys wouldn't want to come to Cleveland to play with the best player in the league, but you could be right and if you are, that's why the NBA is perhaps the worst sports leagues there is. If you're not LA, NY, Chi, MIA, Dal, S.A or Bos, forget about winning a championship.

Bron wanted Bosh to come with him to Cleveland, and Bosh said no

In the NBA its big city or serious contender. DC could be that but we have inept management. A lot of guys love playing in Atlanta because they love Atlanta. And before some old guy wants to talk about this being a new phenomena, its always been like this.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 04:46 PM ----------

I didn't like how ESPN pretty much gave Cleveland a backhanded slap by calling that show "The Decision," just like "The Fumble," "The Drive," "The Shot," etc. I thought that was pretty unnecessary on their part, as it was pretty clear to most people at that point that there was no way in hell that he was going back.

or that ESPN are the ones who aired it and indulged it

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

Not just "the decision" but the celebration where LeBron james said "not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7" and "the games will be the easy part." These guys were celebrating as if they had already won. Did Shaq have that type of celebration when he went tothe Lakers? Did Moses Malone have that type of celebration when he went to Philly? Did Garnett and Allen have that kind of celebration when they went to Boston? It's not hating, people just were put off by it.

Shaq had a parade before he arrived in Miami too. An actual parade with floats and stuff. People forget this.

Because there is a backlash. "The Decision" drew millions of viewers, sold a lot of advertising, and raised money for Boys and Girls Clubs, but how much did it affect LeBron's ability to raise money for charity over the next few years? Can he even show up to Cleveland-area fundraisers anymore? I am not sure that it was a net positive for LeBron's lifetime charity fundraising abilities. Moving to Miami and winning a championship has certainly raised his profile, but I think he would be better off if he had made that move without pissing off most of the country on national TV.

a month after the decision, Lebron had his annual bikeathon through Akron. I dont think "The Decision" had much of any effect.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 04:53 PM ----------

It's forgotten because everyone loved Shaq and his personality, and everyone hated Kobe.

which is also a big crock of crap considering that Shaq ha shown himself to be a DBag over the years as well.

a month after the decision, Lebron had his annual bikeathon through Akron. I dont think "The Decision" had much of any effect.
Is 90% fewer people an effect?
In previous years, more than 1,000 riders participated in the bikeathon, which included an 8-mile ride. This year only about 100 signed up to ride with the kids who received bikes. Because of the diminished interest, the longer ride was cancelled.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/08/lebron_james_cheered_by_hometo.html

Lebron is a hell of a player but a total douche. I don't care how good a player he is. His arrogant attitude makes it difficult, hell impossible to respect anybody like that.

Correction, it makes it impossible for ME to respect him.

Bron wanted Bosh to come with him to Cleveland, and Bosh said no

In the NBA its big city or serious contender. DC could be that but we have inept management. A lot of guys love playing in Atlanta because they love Atlanta. And before some old guy wants to talk about this being a new phenomena, its always been like this.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 04:46 PM ----------

or that ESPN are the ones who aired it and indulged it

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

Shaq had a parade before he arrived in Miami too. An actual parade with floats and stuff. People forget this.

So what? He didn't go off guaranteeing 7 championships. The Miami Big 3 party was detestable. The video comparing the Celtics/Miami Big 3 joining is great. Humbleness vs. arrogance. I'm sad they finally won. I really am for that. I wish they'd had to wait a few more years.

(Plus Shaq is the man).

The face always makes more money than the heel.

Most of this story is still unwritten, but I don't think LeBron wants to be the hated villain for the rest of his career. He wants to be MJ, not Isaiah. And he can probably achieve that if he wins a few more championships. But I don't think he needed "The Decision" to build up his profile. Everyone was already going to be watching to see how he fit into the Heat, and there was already a great storyline with these super-teams forming in New York, Chicago, and Miami taking on the former super teams in Boston and LA. LeBron didn't need "The Decision" to build any hype.

All I'm saying is that I think the backlash from "The Decision" cost him more than the $3 million he raised.

He was never going to be MJ.

And I doubt it.

Uhhhhh from what I remember, it did :)

Bosh in a cowboy hat ahahaha. That's priceless.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 08:55 PM ----------

Part of me loves that the NBA compares so naturally to the WWE.

Part of me loves that just 40 years ago the NBA wasn't that far removed from the semi-pro barn storming sensationalism of a Harlem Globetrotters tour.

Part of me loves that half the members of the Hall of Fame wear a high top fade.

Archived