Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

I'd like the republicans to do something that won't cause me and my family to pay $3500 to a hospital after a normal, healthy, vaginal birth with an epidural and a hospital stay of less than 48 hours.  After insurance.

Having a kid has always been expensive. I remember watching medical TV shows from the 1960's where patients were bemoaning the costs of delivery.  Obamacare didn't cause this. The Republican plan won't solve it. It will continue to be expensive. Part of the reason these things are as expensive as they are is to cover the costs of uninsured, but mandatory, emergency room treatments of the uninsured. Add 30 million uninsured and it will be even more expensive to have a baby.

Ultimately, McCain's speech kills the bill.

I was kind've pissed about his vote also, but the transcript reads more like a farewell to the Senate speech, which I think critics are missing the point.

If conservatives want cuts and won't support it, and moderates want money for their state, neither want to really be fingered for killing the bill.

The action taken yesterday and waste of time we will see in the next week indicate the vote yesterday gives them all cover to say, "I voted to kill Obamacare...we need more Republicans in the Senate,"

McCain is taking a bullet for all other GOP members.  He can't guarantee he will be back to give the traditional farewell..' 

In this scenario taking the bullet is voting to take healthcare away from millions of Americans. After saying a couple hours back you weren't going to vote for it. Y'all might like McCain as a man but his actions were pretty craven. He voted for this knowing full well it wasn't going to pass. This is a bad farewell because he just tanked good reputation. Anyone still buying that maverick label just woke up. I've always expected for McCain to vote for whatever is put out since he's a loyal soldier.

20 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I've always expected for McCain to vote for whatever is put out since he's a loyal soldier.

And it's sad...the man was standing there with fresh stitches in his head saying in essence that we need to debate.

The debate is in the streets, in Congress' members offices, outside courthouses, and at gas pumps and convenience stores.  (You should've seen the fierce discussion I walked up on in the pharmacy...two women going at how killing the ACA will kill members of their family that they were there picking up scripts for...it damn near made me cry)...and on top of that, one waiting was late picking up her grandkids from daycare, where they charge $5 for every minute they're late...WHO GETS PAST ANY OF THIS NONSENSE? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

As one Dem Senator said this morning, all of this is really about their hatred of Obama. 

A black person knew more than the current admin. 

Kills 'em to the core.  They can't deal.  I have family members who have challenged me, even jumping up in a restaurant.  I told their racist asses to sit down.  They did, when they realized they were embarrassing themselves in their hometown, where they're the "benevolence" people on the church board (wtf is that, I'd like to know) decide who actually needs help.  (by their judgement, and we're not supposed to do that here).

America needs more Jesus.  Turn that cheek and come back with a better plan. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This may be crass but my thought would be if you can't afford it, don't have a kid.  Or roll the dice and have it at home on the cheap.  Hopefully it will work out.

This is what gets me about things like having a child.  People want to do it but don't want to pay for it.  Can't afford it?  Then don't do it.  But that is why I'm a pro-choice conservative.

I can afford it.  I wasn't expecting it.  Our first kid was less than $1000 after insurance less than two years prior.  Quite honestly I think I'm getting the shaft by the hospital, but health care is so convoluted that you can't tell who's raking you over the coals.

Which goes back to the original issue.  Neither the democrats or republicans are doing anything to solve the ACTUAL problem.  The cost of health care (hospital bills, doctor bills, prescription medication) is too expensive.  They've done what they can to decrease the burden of insurance, but not the root problem that the bills are too expensive.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I can afford it.  I wasn't expecting it.  Our first kid was less than $1000 after insurance less than two years prior.  Quite honestly I think I'm getting the shaft by the hospital, but health care is so convoluted that you can't tell who's raking you over the coals.

Either you picked a lower plan during your last open enrollment or you're paying for the millions who we are subsidizing for insurance.

As the pool of poor people continues to grow in this country there is no way in hell health care becomes truly affordable, the money isn't there unless you raise taxes on the middle and upper class to higher rates.

50% of our nation's births are being subsidized by Medicaid, that number will just go up because we don't address problems we throw money at them.

How can we subsidize 50% of the births in this nation and keep your birth costs low or affordable?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Which goes back to the original issue.  Neither the democrats or republicans are doing anything to solve the ACTUAL problem.  The cost of health care (hospital bills, doctor bills, prescription medication) is too expensive.  They've done what they can to decrease the burden of insurance, but not the root problem that the bills are too expensive.

This i agree with completely.  Why is everyone arguing about how to pay for something thag is way more expensive than it should be but no one is asking why I am paying $100 for a box of nasal mucous receptacles in the first place?

• Like 4

The reason a box of tissues or a day's worth of tylenol is $$$ at a hospital is that there are so many charges that go un-reimbursed.  This is mainly because of the uninsured (or underinsured - where people have "insurance" that doesn't pay for actual health care).  A hospital needs to collect enough revenue to cover all the care provided, but can only collect from a fraction of its patients.  Therefore, it needs to charge the paying patients far more than what the actual care costs.  

This can be improved by lowering the number of uninsured and by improving the coverage people do have.  It can also be improved by decreasing unnecessary care and by improving preventative care.  The republican plans will be significant steps backwards in this area, and will make the problem worse, not better.  

• Like 2

Its because its a business. I think we all know that. Someone is getting very rich and they dont plan to stop that any time soon. We have the resources. We dont have the character. 

I know thats a broad brush and a gross over simplification. But I feel like we all know thats what it really comes down to. Rich people being rich. 

5 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Interesting read, thanks, although I don't know enough about the particulars right now. Guess I will add it to me list of things to read up on.

The point is that there ARE solutions we ought to be looking at that actually address the real issues, ie. availability of healthcare and costs, and they can be done if it weren't for the political egotism that runs rampant in the debate.

25 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its because its a business. I think we all know that. Someone is getting very rich and they dont plan to stop that any time soon. We have the resources. We dont have the character. 

I know thats a broad brush and a gross over simplification. But I feel like we all know thats what it really comes down to. Rich people being rich. 

Read the article in the post below yours.  Maryland has made all hospitals not-for-profit, and doctors and insurance companies have gotten behind this.  EVERYONE is charged the same amount for the same test/procedure/treatment, whether uninsured of insured and no matter who the insurer is.  It's an all-payer system that essentially functions as a single-payer system since it's equal across the board.  Granted, Maryland is positioned to utilize this type of system better than every other state, but the basis is there.

Interesting experiment to keep our eyes on to see how it develops.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Read the article in the post below yours.  Maryland has made all hospitals not-for-profit, and doctors and insurance companies have gotten behind this.  EVERYONE is charged the same amount for the same test/procedure/treatment, whether uninsured of insured and no matter who the insurer is.  It's an all-payer system that essentially functions as a single-payer system since it's equal across the board.  Granted, Maryland is positioned to utilize this type of system better than every other state, but the basis is there.

Thanks for this. Would have missed it if not for your post. 

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

The only issue there is our worst diseases are not treated at traditional hospitals.

But every little bit helps.

Watching Shep Smith on Faux News...he's gonna have a meltdown!

He's so pissed right now, just went off on the fact the fact that the Senate will be voting on a "skinny bill" that NO ONE KNOWS what it will look like before it's passed, the NO ONE will have read, that the CBO will not have scored, and voted on before quickly so the Senators can get home for the weekend.

#YHEY

#YouHadEightYears

*edit*

Straight repeal being voted on right now in Senate.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan