Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Hankerson among breakout candidates

flexxskins

Hankerson among breakout candidates

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/39269/hankerson-among-kiper-breakout-candidates

The 2012 draft is so last month, and the 2013 draft is too far away to comprehend, so our draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. is thinking back to the 2011 draft and has come up with some players he thinks could break out in their second NFL seasons. It's an Insider piece, so only those of you with Insider access can read it. But that's OK, because I like you guys better anyway. Just please don't tell the others. I don't want anyone to get upset.

Anyway, Mel has three players on his list from the NFC East, and they are...

Leonard Hankerson, WR, Washington Redskins

I thought Hankerson was just about to really get it going last year when a hip injury derailed his season. While the Redskins went out and made several moves at wide receiver, I think Hankerson could put up big numbers as a down-the-field threat in Mike Shanahan's offense. He's a bigger target, something this offense lacks otherwise, outside of tight end Fred Davis.

My take: Shanahan thinks the same thing, and if Hankerson's healthy, then Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan aren't going to keep him from being a factor.

I would start waiting until he can actually see the field before calling this guy the answer at receiver, although I am optimistic about him and I was ecstatic when we picked him. He certainly has the potential to break out but this injury was particularly nasty.

Right now I just want to see him fully healthy in time for training camp and then get though preseason at full pace. If he is healthy I think he can put up really good numbers in our offense but he has to be healthy first and that hip injury is not a straightforward one to get back to 100% from.

He definitely can step up, but a lot of things need to go right. Griffin needs to play reasonably well. The line needs to hold up. Backs need to be successful with their carries. WRs are dependent on a lot of little things to enjoy success.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered. This is still a mid-round WR entering his second year after an injury shortened his season. Just wait till he drops a pass in preseason or doesn't suit up for day one of training camp and the doubters and couch coaches will be up in arms. Give him time and don't expect too much.

Planning on taking him late in my fantasy draft this year, similar to what I did with Roy Helu. That worked out pretty well for me down the stretch.

Me too; although, there will likely be many good late WR options in my league to choose from:

Hankerson, Hill, Rueben Randle, Baldwin, Quick, Jeffrey

i wouldnt call 6'2 209 big.. hes like gaffneys size

Yeah, I think one of the main things about "big" receivers is that their size can help them get off of jams and press coverage but that doesn't mean a guy who is big is automatically going to get beat press coverage near the LOS or that a smaller guy won't be able to. A lot of it has to do with technique and understanding angles and leverage as well as hand work. Of course there is the added advantage for jump balls and being an easier red zone target for a bigger receiver. 6'2 and 210 or so (I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up closer to 220 this year) is plenty for both of those and, by all accounts (from Shanahan talking about him and seeing him do it in games), Hankerson is good at beating jams and getting open.

I was thinking Gracon was the down the field threat and Hankerson a moving the chains kind a guy.

That's what I was thinking. Seems like all our receivers are labelled "down the field threat." We need some Art Monk type guys and I think Hank can be that guy.

That's what I was thinking. Seems like all our receivers are labelled "down the field threat." We need some Art Monk type guys and I think Hank can be that guy.

I figured Morgan for the chain-mover. Hank and Garcon are more in the big-play mold. IIRC, Morgan is more of a chain mover guy.

i wouldnt call 6'2 209 big.. hes like gaffneys size

He's big in the sense that "he plays bigger than he is".

Not to mention the fact that he has huge hands and reach.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2012 at 03:42 PM ----------

Imo, Hank is going to be able to do it all: Function as a possession receiver as well as a deep threat.

I figured Morgan for the chain-mover. Hank and Garcon are more in the big-play mold. IIRC, Morgan is more of a chain mover guy.

Could be. Watching Hank last year, he didn't look like a deep guy, but more of an intermediate/seam route kind of guy. I think Garcon/Moss will be the deep guys.

Could be. Watching Hank last year, he didn't look like a deep guy, but more of an intermediate/seam route kind of guy. I think Garcon/Moss will be the deep guys.

I kind of agree with Hitman, but I see your point as well. I still saw some big plays, deep balls to Hank for a TD. I think Hank is a mix between the two.

Archived