Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per ESPN Colts confirm to Andrew Luck he will be number 1 Pick

gobigred

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7831853/2012-nfl-draft-indianapolis-colts-tell-andrew-luck-no-1-pick-source-says

I just saw this an wanted to share. We are going to get RG3 and I am too excited. Football in DC is going to be fun to watch.

And in other shocking, late-breaking developments, the sun rose this morning and is expected to set this evening!! :)

If they sign Luck before the draft, are we "allowed" to start negotiating with Griffin before the draft?

Nope. Only team with first pick can negotiate with their choice. Everybody else has to wait til after draft.

This will put to rest the voice in the back of my head that kept saying:

"And with the first pick in the NFL Draft. the Indianapolis Colts select, Robert Griffin the Third"

We've fallen in such a deep man crush for this guy that I think we would be somewhat disappointed if we got "stuck with luck".

If they sign Luck before the draft, are we "allowed" to start negotiating with Griffin before the draft?

No. Only the team with the number one overall are allowed to start negotiation and sign their pick in advance of the draft. But with the rookie slotting system thats not as big a deal as it used to be - there is not a lot to negotiate in rookie deals now.

@LL56_httr "Colts organization is saying these things about RG3. Team was scared to take rg3 and went safe with luck. Looks like every chance they got the put griff down to sell the fan base on luck. Covering their ass if it goes wrong."

No. Only the team who has the #1 pick is allowed to sign their pick predraft. The reason this started was so that the team picking first could make sure their guy would be in camp on time. They don't allow other teams to do it because then the first round could be over by the time the draft actually occurs.

EDIT:

And I see in my attempt to be helpful, I was beat by 4 other people. I'm always last to the party.

Archived