Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We are doomed.

HRNY4ZRNY

So I watched on youtube. "The most important thing you will ever see" series

In a nutshell, it's math.

By taking the number 70 and dividing it by the percentage of growth. You can get the doubling time.

How many years it will take for that number to double based on the yearly percentage.

So you take the world population which is 7 billion. The world growth rate is estimated at 1.1% a year.

So lets round down to 1% to make it easier....

70 divided by 1 is 70.

So in 70 years our population will double. We will have 14 billion people. If we continue at a 1% growth rate.

I felt like this didn't seem right, so I did some research and found that my wifes grandpa was born around 1930, there were roughly 2 billion people.

So in his lifetime the world population has tripled and some.

So now I can see why I can believe it, its math and you can also look at a previous generation and see it has already happened.

My first thought was, is this why natural disasters happen. To tip the scales back, coarse correct itself.

But my theory is the more people you have the more likely a natural disaster will impact them. For instance.

If the world had only 2 billion people living in relatively safe areas, a horrible earthquake could happen and no one would be there.

The problem we all have is simple but very hard to solve.

We know the problem, we can use common sense and simple math to figure out this is going to happen, but it is in most of our nature to procreate and have families.

It is in our nature to keep looking to find cures for horrible diseases thus making our life expectancy to go up!

So how do we fix this problem. I personally really don't know. My human heart wants other humans to live. To fiind cures and to have families of there own. But our brain knows this will eventually be a horrible thing when the world runs out of natural resources.

My question which is pretty much a entirely different subject is:

If you view the world kinda like a entity of life on its own, can the world realize there is a problem and try to fix it. Can the earth send out a "new disease" through trees to get rid of us.

Is that what mother nature is? Something that trys to achieve balance?

I dont really know.

The world? No probably not. But there would be a population crash before we totally depleted a resource because as the resource decreases the cost of finding it would sky rocket. So I don't think we have to worry about so many resources that we kill the world. We'll die of starvation first.

W/ that said I don't think the population expansion will continue steadily. The increase has slowed and I think we'll plateau

Wow great post. I honestly feel like population will continue at it's steady growth unless we put a cap on amount of children per family one can have, like China does. 2 kids max per household, however that won't ever happen either. But look at China too, they are bigger than us, but is their population growth as steady? I'm not sure it is.

Have to wait until they have one of those rare,really good seasons then strike. Get more that way. Timing is everything. ;)

I've already waited 17 years. Come on!! ;)

---------- Post added April-15th-2012 at 12:37 PM ----------

In all seriousness though, my brain refuses to wrap itself around issues of this magnitude, and involving these kinds of numbers. I have NO idea how close we are to true water shortages and the like. I think right now there's plenty of water to go around, and in places already suffering from a lack, it's a transportation issue; not that there isn't enough water to go around. Still, even with my very limited understanding, it's enough to be moderately freaked out when a hypothesis like this is presented.

What it means is that by the end of this century, we need to be serious about colonizing space. If we want to consider ourselves an advanced civilization then that's the next step, not waiting here to all get killed at the same time by something stupid.

A lot of politics and corporate greed involved in the perception of our "food shortages" and rediculous gas prices. We can make the whole world first-world, but too many people making money off the world the way it is for it to just, boom, happen.

Most estimations I've seen, including UN, have us around 10 billion by the end of this century. 14 billion is on the high side, really...

People have been talking about the disaster of over population for over 50 years now, and while we certainly have over population issues, it hasn't been a global disaster yet.

Technology and real world population decreases less than those that have been estimated has off set issues with increases population so far for the most part.

Maybe that will change, but I'd bet against it.

The most imediate crisis that would bring civilization down is an EM Pulse or a fuel/oil shortage. If the trucks stop rolling & store shelves can't be restocked

It would only take about a month before riots to breakout & Police forces to be over run.

But Zombies will get us before that happens

Archived