Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter & PFT: NFL salary cap debacle continues---updates include NFLPA filing collusion lawsuits---links and discussion current--MET

sableholic

I have been trying to read that article all morning and it is the only one on that terribly designed site that doesn't come up. Anybody know what could be causing that?

yeah ive had the same problems.

I had to copy and paste the link cause it didnt work and then when i got to the site there was nothing there but a headline that said "do the redskins have a $hot"

yeah ive had the same problems.

I had to copy and paste the link cause it didnt work and then when i got to the site there was nothing there but a headline that said "do the redskins have a $hot"

I ended up reading it on my phone, which worked. Sheesh. I just don't understand technology sometimes.

Anyway someone could give an overview of the article, or better yet post it, for those of us who can't access it? Thanks.

This is really the most interesting part of the article:

We all know why the Redskins were penalized, but the most important element of Halsell’s article was that Bruce Allen essentially executed the same exact maneuver in Tampa with offensive lineman, Jeff Faine.

Halsell at the writing of the article, mentioned the dubbed “I-4 Off-Ramp,” as the ‘same device’ as used in the Haynesworth and Hall contracts. Just for clarification, to make sure nothing had changed in Halsell’s understanding of the situation, he confirmed to ESPN 980 on Tuesday that the restructured deals in both Washington and Tampa were “exactly the same.”

The greater point is this. We know that the NFL and the contract division of the league office approved the restructured contracts of both Haynesworth and Hall, as they did with Faine while Allen in charge in Tampa Bay. If they approved all three restructured deals, along with the Cowboys contracts – how is it that ONLY the Redskins and Cowboys were penalized?

Tampa performed such a move while under a salary cap, which has to be the answer from the league – however it was beyond clear that the Bucs were trying to take advantage of the extra room they had under their cap, while also clearing out a ton of space moving forward, in 2009 and in the uncapped year of 2010.

The strategy worked to a large degree, as they had a pirate ship full of money to spend in 2011 and 2012, after performing extremely well with a young, cheap and pared down roster in 2010.

Of course, it would be nice if the league took the time to explain all of this maneuvering, but maybe they don’t – because they always seem to have something to hide.

The person with knowledge said this in parting “It’s really disgusting what the league did to (the Redskins).”

While it may be disgusting, it seems awfully hard to fathom how the Redskins will get some much needed relief.

Just makes one even angrier. Honestly, it's the Redskins fans who lose the most here.

Every time I read an article I get hopeful. But the reality is that short of a miracle I think we have to bend over and take it from Mara another year. Hopefully in the mean time we can build around the franchise and be relevant for years to come.

Unfortunately, this is how it will roll.

This is really the most interesting part of the article:

Just makes one even angrier. Honestly, it's the Redskins fans who lose the most here.

Thanks for posting this.

It really disgusts me how blatantly wrong and backhanded this whole situation is. The injustice of it is pathetic. I will hold out hope that somehow, someway, things will be righted in the end. And, oh yeah, **** the Giants and **** Mara!!!

I ranted on the complexities of this situation and the injustice to my wife. She succinctly said, "Well the Redskins made the playoff and the Giants didn't." And that gave me some perspective. We just have one more season to navigate this mess and then this won't even matter.

Just giving half full thoughts. I was/still plenty pissed about this.

The situation is righted in the end.

WE WON THE DIVISION.

Not just rubbing it in and saying ha ha, we won. We were able to achieve a relatively out-of-reach goal on reduced cap. Thus, players who may not of gotten oppurtunities now have playoff run under their belt. I'm over cap hit, develop more young players and brace for 2014...

Start sizing ring fingers people

"Well the Redskins made the playoff and the Giants didn't."
The situation is righted in the end.

WE WON THE DIVISION.

Both quotes are true. We won the Division in a year we were supposed to do nothing of the sort. In a year they tried as hard as they possibly could to prevent us from being even a marginal team. For me though, it doesn't right the wrong. The thing is this is much bigger than the Redskins or Cowboys or even football. This is a case of a crime being commited in plain sight, and nobody stepping in to do anything about it. There are greater tragedies in life, but it is an absolute travesty that this has been allowed to happen. Big companies are not supposed to make a mockery of anti-labor laws and get away with it. There is a reason these laws exist, and the NFL is subject to them.

Thanks for posting this.

It really disgusts me how blatantly wrong and backhanded this whole situation is. The injustice of it is pathetic. I will hold out hope that somehow, someway, things will be righted in the end. And, oh yeah, **** the Giants and **** Mara!!!

Yes, total and utter injustice and it shouldn't ever be forgotten. That being said, I believe in God's Justice fully, and it's particularly amazing when it happens fast... in our case, the two division rivals who were behind it (Giants, Eagles) ended up taking a backseat to the two they handicapped (Redskins, Cowboys) with the one they affected the most winning the division.

I don't know how you look at that without being amazed. :ols:

Yes, total and utter injustice and it shouldn't ever be forgotten. That being said, I believe in God's Justice fully, and it's particularly amazing when it happens fast... in our case, the two division rivals who were behind it (Giants, Eagles) ended up taking a backseat to the two they handicapped (Redskins, Cowboys) with the one they affected the most winning the division.

I don't know how you look at that without being amazed. :ols:

Or you could look at it another way and say had we had that cap space we might have brought in the pieces to actually win a Super Bowl instead of just being one and done...

Seriously, everyone needs to stop ****ing. It happened, we got ****ed. We are going to get ****ed later this year too, another 18 million. Nothing is going to change, all the ****ing is not going to make it any better. Just ****ing stop already, for the love of God! We flat out won the East after getting screwed, no other team in the division made it. That means, we are reigning division champs and that despite all the controversy, we are still #1 in the division, until contested next year.

They tried to hold us down, we rose above it. Again, everyone knows they arent gonna magically give us back our cap money or not penalize us next year, so we all need to STFU about it already, buckle down, and get what we can out of FA and the draft.

Seriously, everyone needs to stop ****ing. It happened, we got ****ed. We are going to get ****ed later this year too, another 18 million. Nothing is going to change, all the ****ing is not going to make it any better. Just ****ing stop already, for the love of God!

Again, everyone knows they arent gonna magically give us back our cap money or not penalize us next year, so we all need to STFU about it already, buckle down, and get what we can out of FA and the draft.

I don't understand why any Redskin fan would want this to die off. We don't have to give up. Even if there is no chance, we can still keep fighting the good fight. Keep drawing attention to it. Shanahan stated they are still fighting this, so why don't you take a chill pill. If you have such a huge problem with people ****ing and whining, this simple solution is don't click on this thread.

:)

Seriously, everyone needs to stop ****ing. It happened, we got ****ed. We are going to get ****ed later this year too, another 18 million. Nothing is going to change, all the ****ing is not going to make it any better. Just ****ing stop already, for the love of God! We flat out won the East after getting screwed, no other team in the division made it. That means, we are reigning division champs and that despite all the controversy, we are still #1 in the division, until contested next year.

They tried to hold us down, we rose above it. Again, everyone knows they arent gonna magically give us back our cap money or not penalize us next year, so we all need to STFU about it already, buckle down, and get what we can out of FA and the draft.

I love Extremeskins, I really do. You know what one of my favorite features is? The threads all have their titles put out there in bold right on the main page. In fact, you have to click on those titles in order to get to the thread itself!

It provides a great opportunity to learn what the thread is about and to not click on it if you don't like the topic as opposed to opening the thread and ****ing about people in the thread discussing the topic of the thread. Because that would just be silly.

I love Extremeskins, I really do. You know what one of my favorite features is? The threads all have their titles put out there in bold right on the main page. In fact, you have to click on those titles in order to get to the thread itself!

It provides a great opportunity to learn what the thread is about and to not click on it if you don't like the topic as opposed to opening the thread and ****ing about people in the thread discussing the topic of the thread. Because that would just be silly.

Right on. I cosign this post.

I don't care. I'll come out and say it. I'm kinda glad we got hit with this penalty. It forced us to not rely on free agency to build our team as our front office (no matter who's in there) loves to do. I really don't see Morris having the year he had if we didn't get this penalty and didn't get hit with some (un)lucky injuries to Helu and Hightower (and Royster for a short time) who were both high on Shanny's list. Notice that we still brought in WRs and Safeties. I think we're going to still be disciplined this year because of the cap penalty and hopefully we are again successful - to the point where we start believing in the philosophy of building through the draft with only sprinkles of free agency.

But its a pipe dream.

Archived