Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter & PFT: NFL salary cap debacle continues---updates include NFLPA filing collusion lawsuits---links and discussion current--MET

sableholic

Our insiders and JLC have both said no cap relief is coming, probably best to put the pipe dream away.

lol, JLC is unimportant here but where did you hear our insider's say that? Did they just give their opinion on it or was it actually inside info?

It's best to actually show proof when destroying people's pipe dreams, ya know. :)

lol, JLC is unimportant here but where did you hear our insider's say that? Did they just give their opinion on it or was it actually inside info?

It's best to actually show proof when destroying people's pipe dreams, ya know. :)

LL did say on twitter that it's very unlikely. I believe that was on Monday. J basically confirmed what JLC said which was that it doesn't appear we'll get any back.

Their opinion and inside info tend to usually be one and the same.

SonnyandSam,

Thanks, as always, for insight into what's actually going on (e.g., you're of course absolutely right that the Skins are represented by very sophisticated--and expensive--lawyers who have access to documents that we don't, and that the arbitrator is very smart and in no way a stooge, and that what's really hamstringing us is the NFLPA being induced to sign onto a CBA that pretty much white-washed what might otherwise have been strong arguments).

One thought, along the lines of "pass out the draft complaint at the next owners' meeting"--I think the strongest angle for cap relief (assuming there remains some kind of ongoing discussion) is to seek some kind of settlement that would revamp our penalty so that we would neither be advantaged nor punished for what we did in the uncapped year, beyond retroactively imposing on us the cap consequences that would have existed if the ordinary cap rules had applied. IIRC, that would mean something like $25 million (and over four years, though that's not necessary), not $36 million over two.

The actual penalty we got was double punishment--along the lines of Mara's "they should have lost draft picks"--beyond putting us back to where we would have been, sans uncapped monkey business. I.e., we propose a deal in which our so-called attempt to evade the spirit of the cap is nullified, we have to eat the cap space we tried to spit out, but no punitive penalty on top of putting us back in our place.

Because a) that's far more fair, if we're going to get any penalty, and B) that's what (I assume) we were warned (collusively or not)--if you try to evade the cap, the next CBA may well disallow it, and you'll be in a pinch if your cap space is readjusted retroactively. I seriously doubt we were warned, if you try to evade the cap (by dumping old cap space, rather than through similar mechanisms used by teams like the Bears and Bucs), we will not only put that back on the books, we will also slam you with a lot more than that (and on the eve of free agency), and c) this approach meshes with a settlement of a theoretical collusion case. Despite what some here say, it's arguably not collusion for the CBA to retroactively eliminate any prior attempt to dump cap space, b/c that's arguably an action reasonably taken in CBA/labor negotiations--how do we deal with the uncapped year as we go forward with the new CBA. But an action taken to punish, beyond retroactive elimination of dumped cap space, can only realistically be understood as implementing a collusive agreement during the uncapped year to impose (metaphorical) punitive damages on collusion-flouters. I.e., I think our (theoretical) collusion case is far stronger as to consequences beyond making us eat the cap space we spat out, and the numbers (I think) work out so that we still get punished, but not unduly excessively.

There's a lot to this story I really don't understand. But I really don't get why one of the Skins beat writers doesn't setup an interview with Almighty Roger to ask him the hard questions that need to be answered. It seems the legal angle is closed. So what is it that ******* Roger can't discuss? Why won't the Washington press sick a rabid dog reporter on that *******?

The comments in the above article about BAllen doing the "exact same thing in Tampa" really shows the vendetta the Vagiants & Beagles conducted to impose the penalty.

Snyder has to be seething about this entire situation. JJones to a lesser extent, but Snyder has got to be absolutely crazy pissed off about this. It reeks of conspiracy and really deepens my hatred of the favored teams in the NFL.

There's a lot to this story I really don't understand. But I really don't get why one of the Skins beat writers doesn't setup an interview with Almighty Roger to ask him the hard questions that need to be answered. It seems the legal angle is closed. So what is it that ******* Roger can't discuss? Why won't the Washington press sick a rabid dog reporter on that *******?

The comments in the above article about BAllen doing the "exact same thing in Tampa" really shows the vendetta the Vagiants & Beagles conducted to impose the penalty.

Snyder has to be seething about this entire situation. JJones to a lesser extent, but Snyder has got to be absolutely crazy pissed off about this. It reeks of conspiracy and really deepens my hatred of the favored teams in the NFL.

All Snyder has to do is set foot in Federal Court and we win and the money comes back and Goddell is gone as Commish.

So if it's that simple, why doesn't he do it?

Because (imho) he still has to deal with the folks in the league in the aftermath, and that's not easy. The NFL has clearly broken Federal Labor Law with their actions, but I think we are trying to do it in a way where we can still work with them afterwards.

My guess is he is weighing the benefits of going that route and becoming a pariah versus maybe getting a lot of IOU's from different owners and maybe some favorable decisions in the future.

I say screw it, its obvious they hate him from these actions. Does he really think anything he does changes that..

Unfortunately, as that article says, federal court would be a 'thermo-nuclear' approach, and could have devastating, long lasting effects for either side.

To that, with my tongue slightly in my cheek, I say GOOD. A free-agency-eve, unexplainable bull**** massive cap penalty, yea, let's call it pearl harbor. So **** you NFL, you started it. You approved the contracts, you ignored teams under the cap, and only the division rivals of mr Mara were punished. It was and continues to be GLARINGLY OBVIOUS BULL****.

The reason 2cents says that's 'all he has to do', it because so far, all decisions are being made BY the NFL, with the best interest of the NFL. The arbitrator? What a joke. That had no chance, the arbitrator might as well have been Mara, they weren't going to compromise the NFL by running with the idea of collusion.

Federal court however, would have no problem sticking it to the NFL. But the problem remains, it could screw things up for everyone, the whole system etc, this whole CBA that was fought so hard over. And in the event the Redskins (Cowboys, whoever) actually lose the lawsuit, they're screwed far worse than they were in the first place.

ugh it's such bull****

Unfortunately, as that article says, federal court would be a 'thermo-nuclear' approach, and could have devastating, long lasting effects for either side.

To that, with my tongue slightly in my cheek, I say GOOD. A free-agency-eve, unexplainable bull**** massive cap penalty, yea, let's call it pearl harbor. So **** you NFL, you started it. You approved the contracts, you ignored teams under the cap, and only the division rivals of mr Mara were punished. It was and continues to be GLARINGLY OBVIOUS BULL****.

The reason 2cents says that's 'all he has to do', it because so far, all decisions are being made BY the NFL, with the best interest of the NFL. The arbitrator? What a joke. That had no chance, the arbitrator might as well have been Mara, they weren't going to compromise the NFL by running with the idea of collusion.

Federal court however, would have no problem sticking it to the NFL. But the problem remains, it could screw things up for everyone, the whole system etc, this whole CBA that was fought so hard over. And in the event the Redskins (Cowboys, whoever) actually lose the lawsuit, they're screwed far worse than they were in the first place.

ugh it's such bull****

Agreed. The problem with the nuclear option is that we have to stiil work with the folks at ground zero and live with the radiation fallout after we win. Not a pleasent thought. But I agree....they hate Danny anyway, so I'm pretty much at the "bite me" stage. Although as you said....this could rip up a lot in the league....but I think that's why the NFL did it in the first place, they figured we wouldn't want to upset the status quo too much. I still want to see thd league taken down a couple of notches.

I'm fine with a nuclear option at this point. **** the league. They started this ****. I want JUSTICE. Might be cutting off our head to spite our face, but I don't care about repercussions or what it might do to the league at this point. Maybe they need to be knocked down a peg or two anyway. Anytime you can openly admit to participating in what in any other business is a crime in front of the National Media like a mob boss and basically dare anyone to do anything about it, maybe they need to be knocked down a peg or two. Could it be the NFL has grown too powerful that they now think they are above the law and rules that everyone else has to obey? I mean, I'm not naive. I know all sorts of underhanded back door **** goes on everyday, but what blew me away and still does was the audacity in which Mara made his case.

Archived