Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the Sky Isn't Falling regarding the Rams deal

KDawg

Vick never had more than 8 rushing TDs a season in college.

Vick had more yards/carry, but per a game, they are pretty similar (right around 50 with Vick being a the higher of the two). Vick's last year in college his passing rating was 184. Griffin's passig rating last year- 189

(Sorry, I actually got that wrong. Vick was better his 2nd to last year, and only had a 127 rating his last year.)

Would you like to mention Vick had 342 total passing attempts in college and RGII had 1149 career and 402 LY alone

OWNED. People who try to say RGIII is a running QB need to really do their research and actually watch some of his highlights. He's strictly a passing QB that can run. Don't get that confused.

Again....Everybody just repeat this 3 times....

The Skins gave up just 3 picks spread across 3 years for a franchise QB.

Again...just 3 picks spread across 3 years.

Again... Just 3 picks spread across 3 years.

This is funny. So, you know how excited everyone is for our first round pick this year? You won't have that feeling again until 2015.

Great post KDawg :)

I agree very much. Everyone saying we've paid too high of a price are negating the fact that our drafts are still essentially intact except for the few high picks we gave up. It's a great trade for the Rams and for us. We HAVE to get a franchise QB and I'm ecstatic with either Luck or RG3.

We also have cap space to go afterkey supporting players in FA. This is a fantastic offseason so far and I'm excited to see what the future holds for our team :D

2012: 1,3,4,4,5,6,7

2013: 2,3,4,5,6,7,7

2014: 2,3,4,5,6,7

To be fair, if we still had Vinny drafting this would be a terrible situation. Almost nothing after the 1st ever panned out.

Of course, we've gone the duo of Shanahan and Allen and they actually know what they're doing. Heck, we got two rushers who had multiple 100 yard games last year, and neither came before the 4th. I think we'll be just fine.

Not to mention, if we clean up FA like I expect we will, those players probably carry the team at least 4-5 years, which means we'll have 1st rounders for a few years again before they retire anyway. Take VJax, for example. Let's assume he's only got 3 years left in him. Three years from now we'll have another 1st, and can pursue a top WR prospect.

Problem? I think not.

This is funny. So, you know how excited everyone is for our first round pick this year? You won't have that feeling again until 2015.

If this works out make it more like 2025.

The sky isn't falling but to give up that much to get a Heisman Trophy winning QB that has never taken a snap in the NFL is too much. The benefit of it is that RGIII or Luck, depending on who the Colts pick, is as good as advertised. That would give the Rams a late 1st round draft pick two years straight. The downside is that they aren't as advertised and the Rams will get top 10 draft picks 3 years in a row and a high second round this year. That gives them a shot at picking up 5 quality players that will start for them immediately. We only get one. One for five better be worth it and if not we will be getting a new coach in a couple of years. If it is RGIII he will have to join only two men in NFL history to win a Super Bowl after winning the Heisman trophy at the QB position. That is based on 70 years of the Heisman trophy. So nothing can be done about it now except get on the bandwagon and get behind the next QB we draft at the #2 pick this year. I just hope that they go out and get the pieces to protect this guy. I also hope that they go out and get him some weapons to throw to. Allen/Shanahan have a plan and it better be a good one. The thing that I guarantee will happen if we continue to lose is everyone will be pointing to this move as being one of the worst in franchise history and how Dan Snyder always over pays. So I will stop now with all the negative things and think positively that this will finally work as they envision it to. I guess they had to make a risky move at some point to land a QB that can make things happen. Please get some O-line and WR help for this guy. I guess the last thing I can say is I'm all in. Go Skins.

Griffin is a guy who can stay in the pocket or run. He's not a scrambling QB in the form of Vick when he entered the league. He has better pocket presence and can sit in the pocket... But he can also fly if he has to. And within a schematic fit for the Redskins, the playaction bootleg is an EXCELLENT weapon for us with Griffin running it. Stretch or boot? Then, once defenses figure that out: Pass or run from Griffin? He's dynamic. He's a schematic fit. I understand apprehension, but he's not Mike Vick.

Think "Steve Young" but better. :)

Cause he's not Morman. :silly:

I do not think its fair to take the existing qb's in the league and say that none of the great ones are of the RG III mold. This might be true if you were only looking at a snapshot of who is good now, based on record and history, but if you took into account who could be good in the future, it is not as true. Cam Newtons performance last year, I believe, already does a good job of breaking the mold of what type of qb's will have success in the nfl. His success might not have translated immediately to wins, but if you look past the record, you might acknowledge that he has all the makings of being one of the best qb's in the league for a long time to come. Far surpassing anything that Vick has done. IMO he has already broke the mold. RG III will just be following in his footsteps in a sense.

Mark my words, Cam Newton is on his way to being just as good as any qb mentioned as the best in the league right now.

this trade is more about picks. for dan synder...its a financial windfall. More MNF appearances...more tickets sold...merchandise sold....interest in team has peaked again....It was a no brainer and i am shocked Cle didnt offer more to get him.

That and the fact that Snyder will spend a little over 5 mil. per to get his qb for 4 years.Pretty good financial boon for Dan.

Then your memory is faulty or you are being deliberately obtuse because there were many more who questioned Shuler. Casserly openly preferred Dilfer at the time. Many fans didn't even want Turner. The ONLY person of any impact who actually considered him a franchise QB was Norv Turner and even he knew he wasn't anything near a sure thing. This, in part, is why the FO forced him to hold out as we wanted structure a contract from which we could pay him but be able to bail with little cap impact.

This is all nonsense and history as told later on.

Casserly didn't state until years later he wanted Dilfer over Shuler.

Norv denies that.

At the time, the front office, fans, and coaching staff were all excited about Shuler.

Feel free to post anything showing Casserly at the time was outwardly choosing Dilfer.

I'll get over it, because I won't have the soul-sucking experience of day-dreaming about having a franchise QB all the time, year-in, year-out, preseason, mid-season, post-season, off-season.

I think most of us will deal with it just fine. We've still got our entire drafts other than those picks.

yeah look at what those meaningless wins cost us, 2 firsts and a second

That is incorrect, 2 more losses and we still pick after the Rams. Another team could have scooped the pick from the Rams and to prevent that from happening we would have still had to deal with the Rams.

What would happen if the Rams and Skins signed off on the deal and the NFL pulled, say next years 1st because of the Greg Williams debacle?

Its not happening. The NFL would have to finish an investigation first, which couldn't happen before the draft, and more importantly, couldn't happen before the trade goes through in a few days.

Hell I think we would have morgaged our future by signing Peyton who would have only been here 2 /3 yrs max (and lord help us if he wasnt healthy....can u say laughingstock). Then we would have been starting over again looking for that franchise qb. This way if the kid pans out then we countinue to build around him for years to come. The team doesn't have to break there recently discovered fiscal responsibility. Continue to spend wisely on Free agents and the team will grow

Its not happening. The NFL would have to finish an investigation first, which couldn't happen before the draft, and more importantly, couldn't happen before the trade goes through in a few days.

Doesn't mean it can't happen next year. Just Saying it could really gum things up. Especially if RG3 came here and played a year. Then they pulled it.

Thinking about it they'd have to pull it 4 years down the road to keep from screwing the Rams up.

Doesn't mean it can't happen next year. Just Saying it could really gum things up. Especially if RG3 came here and played a year. Then they pulled it.

Thinking about it they'd have to pull it 4 years down the road to keep from screwing the Rams up.

The point is once we've traded the pick, they can't take it as punishment. The trade will be done. They could only take OUR picks. It would no longer be ours, it would just reflect our draft position.

Great post, but yeah we have had our own home grown franchise quarterback opportunities (RG3 is now nothing but an opportunity). If Campbell and Ramsey don't count, Heath Shuler was considered by many a "sure thing".

The idea that we have never tried to have a franchise QB isn't true.

So the sky isn't falling.

But we also don't know if RG3 is rolling into camp like Michael Westbrook did in his new Ferrari with an I got paid attitude or someone who wants to be great in the NFL.

We have Heath Shuler and or Cam Newton on our doorstep.

Lets see who shows up.

shuler was like 4'11.. Campbel and ramsey where big time reaches Knowbody had ever knew ramsey existed till we reached for him. Campbell personally, I though Gibbs really didnt have to trade up for. I actually was amazed he was even drafted. But this guy RG3 is a legit worth the reach QB. No way these past QBs we reached on, were nowhere on the same page as RG3..lol

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

Riiiiigggghhhhhttttt............. nevermind the fact that he's slated to go in the mid 1ST ROUND

what planet do some of you people live on??

3rd round? He wouldn't go in the 3rd even if he had a broken leg! sheesh!!!

Noway He makes it to the third round?? He must not watch ESPN at all..lol

LOl if he where shot 20 times

he would still go in the 2nd..

Archived