Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the Sky Isn't Falling regarding the Rams deal

KDawg

We now know the exact cost of the win over the Seahawks and Giants.

Having said that....yay!!!!

Even with just 3 wins we would not have been assured of a chance to grab a franchise qb.The Rams still would have been picking in front of Washington and there would have been the possibility of another team pulling off a blockbuster.

This Time The Redskins Get it Right

Those Redskins fans exasperated by their franchise's profligate free-agent spending and wasteful attitude when it comes to draft picks (especially in the Vinny Cerrato "era") would be forgiven for believing that owner Dan Snyder had finally gone completely around the bend. Under different conditions, the Friday trade with the St. Louis Rams that gave first-round picks in 2013 and 2014, switched first-rounders in 2012, and cost an additional second-round pick in 2012 for the right to select Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III with the second-overall pick in 2012 would seem to be yet another case of Snyder's team being pennywise and pound-foolish. And when it comes to multi-pick trades for quarterbacks, there's no middle ground -- if you do it, you're either a genius or an idiot.

In 2004, the New York Giants swapped first-round draft picks with the San Diego Chargers (going from fourth overall to first), their 2005 first-round pick, and their third- and fifth-round picks in 2005 for the rights to quarterback Eli Manning. Since that day, and after some rough spots early on, Manning has proven the wisdom of the move by nabbing two Super Bowl MVP awards.

In 1997, the Chicago Bears traded their first-round pick outright (the eleventh overall) for the "privilege" of acquiring Seattle Seahawks quarterback Rick Mirer. Mirer was a washout in Chicago, while the Seahawks selected tackle Walter Jones, the greatest player in franchise history, with one of their two first-round picks. Meanwhile, the Bears' ongoing and fruitless search for an elite quarterback had them acquiring Jay Cutler by swapping first-round picks with the Denver Broncos in 2009, giving up their first-round pick in 2010, and sweetening the pot with a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton.

So, yeah -- the risk/reward meter is pretty much off the charts here.

Click link for rest

This Time The Redskins Get it Right

That's the funny thing. The media has blasted the Skins every offseason for years, and rightly so, and today I haven't read a single articles saying the Skins were wrong to do this trade. They all admit the price was steep, but nearly all of them are saying the Browns are the biggest losers in this thing and that they should have done whatever it took to get the trade done, even trading both firsts this year and one next year and whatever else was needed.

Schefter reported that the Browns actually agreed to do just that, but that for whatever reason they were moving slower than the Skins and the Rams traded with the Skins instead.

Our scouting department has done an absolutely fantastic job in finding guys who fit the Shanahan mold and fit what the Redskins are trying to do offensively and defensively. The guys are pros. I have no doubt that Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen believe in those guys tenfold. It's one of the reasons making this sort of deal doesn't cripple the franchise.

Great minds think alike. I have been saying the same thing over and over since the trade happened to the people who say we gave up too much. Redskins had 17 picks in the last two drafts. I think we got good value on at least 14 picks. That is over 80%. We are finally doing things that a professionally ran organization is suppose to do.

Excellent post OP,

From the very beginning I was against "Going All In" and "Trading the Farm" for Robert Griffin III. We are a franchise that needs to get younger and talented all over the place which was why the 2011 Draft and those 12 draft picks were paramount and VERY much needed. In addition, we ARE NOT a QB away from winning the Super Bowl....however, the playoffs appear to be in arms reach now. (Maybe !)

I caught the news last night at a bar in DC...my friends were elated! I was thinking, what in JESUS NAME HAVE WE DONE!! I saw on the screen a 1st, 2nd, 1st & 1st were involved in the move for #2 overall and genuinely got upset at the bar. I was afraid Shannahan and Co. would do something this bold and they sure did. At first glance of 1st, 2nd, 1st & 1st flashing on the screen, I thought "This franchise is so FREAKING RECKLESS; THIS BETTER WORK" !!!!

I then allowed myself to think more clearly...ok.....it's actually swapped 1sts, two additional 1sts + a 2nd. In any event, three 1sts and a 2nd is FOUR NFL starters that could have bolstered our still growing franchise which is now in the hands of Griffin III.

For the next two drafts, we must must absolutely hit on every 2nd round selection. For the next three, WE MUST absolutely hit on every 3rd round selection to balance the blockbuster deal....PERIOD!. We also must become active players in Free Agency for the next 3 years since we actually have tons of cap space.

With a deal of this magnitude; Griffin III must absolutely start Day 1 (If Newton and Dalton did it.....Griffin III better be ready too!). Our front office now needs to get him a stud WR alongside Moss (it appears KC franchised Bowe...perhaps then Vincent Jackson or Maques Colston). Fred Davis gets back into the mix with Helu potent out in the flats and this team could be in the running for 10 wins in 2012. We also need to sure up the O-Line as well to make sure this kid isn't running for his life every other play.

I heard some experts compare Griffin III to "a much better Vick", and also "the mind of Steve Young". If this young man is anything like these comparisons...we'll be a solid franchise for the next 12-15 seasons. If he's not and falls flat on his face......LoL, I'm not even sure what I could say afterward.

With that said, I support this move for Robert Griffin III and expect him out on the field behind center Day 1 competing with the best our division and the NFC has to offer.

That's the funny thing. The media has blasted the Skins every offseason for years, and rightly so, and today I haven't read a single articles saying the Skins were wrong to do this trade. They all admit the price was steep, but nearly all of them are saying the Browns are the biggest losers in this thing and that they should have done whatever it took to get the trade done, even trading both firsts this year and one next year and whatever else was needed.

Schefter reported that the Browns actually agreed to do just that, but that for whatever reason they were moving slower than the Skins and the Rams traded with the Skins instead.

Make that 2 now! :) Great article ~

I'm sorry, but I have legit doubts about this guy being "the" guy for the Redskins. He had two solid years at Baylor, but I wanted to see him against the best teams. Not a fan of scrambling QB's at all - look at Vick, he can barely stay on the damn field.

They have different body types RG is 6-2 223 lbs.Vick is what 6-0 and probably and not as heavy.RG is a much better passer coming out than Vick was.

Great minds think alike. I have been saying the same thing over and over since the trade happened to the people who say we gave up too much. Redskins had 17 picks in the last two drafts. I think we got good value on at least 14 picks. That is over 80%. We are finally doing things that a professionally ran organization is suppose to do.

The truth is though. Some people don't understand certain things about football. They don't see things the way it really is, and public perception always changes long after reality.

The fact that the organization is finally being run correct is in plain sight for all to see. Things are being done right, but even when things are done right there will be hits and misses. McNabb was a prime example of a miss, but I see A LOT of good things going on.

Nobody gets it right all the time. Nobody should expect them to.

Here's to Shanny, here's to RG3, here's to the future.

HAIL!

The other thing I'd add is that this type of trade should be expected now that the rookie salary cap is in effect. Teams aren't going to be going by the old points chart because they're now paying 1/4 of the money that those top 5 picks were previously making.

Think about that, we're taking a chance on RG3 at about 22 million over 4 years, instead of teams previously, like the Rams, taking a risk on Bradford for $83 million in 5 years (he was the NFL's first $50 million guaranteed player). We'd be paying close to $90 million (about $23 million per season), but now we're only paying him around $6 per year.

That's another reason this trade cost so much. And Schefter and Glazer are both reporting that the Browns were ready to trade just as much, but they wanted to wait a little longer, the Skins wanted to do it now and the Rams took the sure deal. This is actually looking better and better every article I read.

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 01:19 PM ----------

They have different body types RG is 6-2 223 lbs.Vick is what 6-0 and probably and not as heavy.RG is a much better passer coming out than Vick was.

Not to mention RG3 ISN'T a run first guy, like Vick. He's a passer with exceptional speed and athletic ability, BUT he's a passer. Anyone that's ever watched a Baylor game can see that his eyes are constantly down field.

Oh, and at the combine, RG3 was weight in at 231 lbs. So, he's bigger than Aaron Rodgers who gets sacked more than most QBs in the league, and is healthy for nearly every game.

The truth is though. Some people don't understand certain things about football. They don't see things the way it really is, and public perception always changes long after reality.

The fact that the organization is finally being run correct is in plain sight for all to see. Things are being done right, but even when things are done right there will be hits and misses. McNabb was a prime example for a miss, but I see A LOT of good things going on.

Nobody gets it right all the time. Nobody should expect them to.

Here's to Shanny, here's to RG3, here's to the future.

HAIL!

McNabb? I have no idea what you are talking about. :paranoid:

But regardless of that, some people will still try to hold onto the past, making the same tired ass remarks that we've all heard time and time again.

I can't believe people are actually pissed about trading ****ing picks when we've been mediocre for about 20 years now and haven't had a franchise QB since:

Football+gear+in+the+40s.jpg

(And Joe T wasn't drafted by us, so yes I don't consider him a franchise QB)

I think Matthew Berry just summed it up nicely:

Matthew Berry

I LOVE the RG3 move for the Skins. I hear folks on the steep price, but that's the market. CLE was offering a huge package as well. If he's a franchise guy like we think. Then it doesn't matter. Redskins will build through Free Agency - they have tons of cap room. If he's a bust, Shanahan will be fired & Skins are just where they are right now. A bad team with no QB. As a Skins fan, I'm very happy.

Unlike · · Share · 12 minutes ago via mobile ·

@ AdamSchefter reported # Browns offered # Rams at least three 1st-rd picks & possibly a 2nd-rd pick.

I also went to a Browns board and one of their insiders said the Browns came in at the last minute, willing to give up 3 1sts. That might be the reason we had to cough up another 1st round pick. That said, it's worth it to have a potential stud QB. When RG3 starts hitting his prime, the other teams in our division will have to find QBs again. Our QB is going to be 22. Their QBs are in their 30's. It's not out of the realm of possibility that one of those teams will find themselves in QB hell like we've been in.

you guys realize that this trade would of never happened had vinny successfully executed the mark Sanchez trade who he was desperate to get. What a disaster that would of been. The Jets are paying for this now

The deal of the century! I definitely approve and can't wait for training camp and the season to start. With all the cap room we have to get a #1 receiver, an OL man or two, cornerback, and 5 picks still in this year’s draft to find that diamond in the rough as well some youthful backup. The future looks bright for the first time in a long while. The new front office has done really well so far with FA and the draft (excluding the Donavan experiment). If we get the line help we need, a #1 receiver, I see RG3 starting; driving defense coordinators crazy and the NFC East will be ours if not next year, then the following. If for some crazy reason RG3 isn't all that we hope he is, then with his speed and athleticism we just make him our #1 receiver/CB. . Just a thought not a sermon. Wonder what Sonny has to say about this move; should be interesting.

Hail to the Redskins!

I don't remember a "good chunk" of our front office thinking he was less than a sure thing.

When we drafted Shuler, everyone was excited. They thought the combination of Norv Turner and Heath Shuler was a sure thing. Everyone thought Norv was the man for the job to groom Shuler.

What NFL playbook has RG3 comprehended.

Shuler had a 16 on his wonderlic. That's a major red flag, as was Jason Campbell's 14 score. They both proved the test was correct about them.

Does anyone think the same about RG3? If not, then you can't really compare RG3 to Shuler.

this trade is more about picks. for dan synder...its a financial windfall. More MNF appearances...more tickets sold...merchandise sold....interest in team has peaked again....It was a no brainer and i am shocked Cle didnt offer more to get him.

Should we vehemently pursue Flynn now? Outbid the competition and have him to take some early pressure off of RG3, and then trade him to recoup some of those lost picks? In this manner we could in essence "buy" our picks back

Not at all. You start Griffin III Day 1 just like Carolina with Newton and Cincinnati with Dalton. Allow him to grasp the offense and experience the growing pains from the jump (if any). Hit Free Agency hard and put the absolute best team on the field (this will help him succeed right away.....Vincent Jackson or Marques Colston out wide with Moss, a returning Fred Davis at TE, Helu in the flats, and a potent run game).

Yes, he needs to start right NOW!

"It was time for us to grow some balls"? I would like to know what was in Rdeskins's Hayne's briefs when we traded for McNabb, signed Haynesworth, Named Zorn, Spurrier, or Gibbs (II) coach, etc..? This is just another long list in the huge risky moves this organization has recently made. Let's hope this is one overpriced long shots that actually pays off.

Um, Gibbs 1 was a very risky maneuver. Trading for the pick that turned into Grimm was risky. Hiring Gibbs 2 was NOT risky. McNabb was not all that risky (75% chance of a positive outcome and though the negative did occur, we overcame that fail quickly). Had we not made a move for McNabb, our 2011 QB situation would have likely been the same and maybe worse. Haynesworth was not risky, just stupid although Vinny was smart enough to basically put us in position to buy the contract out. In the NFL, you either take a big risk or sit around and wait to get lucky.

All Flynn would cost us is money, which we currently have. However, he wants out of GB to become a starter, and I think he's worthy to be one, so I doubt he would consider any offers from us. But it would be nice to be able to "flip" him for some picks.

Archived