Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter twitter: NFL Security investigating The Saints for having a "bounty program" on defense

Oldskool

So what's the worst case scenario for these guys? What will happen? Suspensions? loss of draft pics, BOTH?

Has the NFL ever come down on a team for this??

I would imagine something similar to what happened with the Pats and Spygate. They lost a 1st rounder and were fined what $500k?

Thanks for the link, very interesting. Unless his ego is a LOT bigger than I thought, why would Brees turn down the biggest contract in NFL history?

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 04:32 PM ----------

That's exactly what it was...

I think the key is finding out how much he would actually expect to get. Tacking on a huge number to a contract seems to always be very misleading and usually fails to really indicate how much the player will realistically receive.

I think the key is finding out how much he would actually expect to get. Tacking on a huge number to a contract seems to always be very misleading and usually fails to really indicate how much the player will realistically receive.

I had just assumed that they respected he and his agent enough to not give him an inflated type of contract like AH's, but you're correct.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

Example:

Talk about blatant.

I'm not really surprised just because of the way they played the NFC title game. It seemed like they were desperate to knock Favre out of that game, and a bounty system goes hand in hand with that.

With all their FAs, this is a team that really couldn't afford to sacrifice a ton of draft picks. Whoops.

So what's the worst case scenario for these guys? What will happen? Suspensions? loss of draft pics, BOTH?

Has the NFL ever come down on a team for this??

I would imagine something similar to what happened with the Pats and Spygate. They lost a 1st rounder and were fined what $500k?

According to Adam Shefter's twitter feed

A safe prediction: Saints will be disciplined far worse than the Patriots were for Spygate.

and then this quote from John Clayton's tweet

You would have to figure the Saints would have to give up a draft choice this year and maybe a No. 1 next year for the Bounty offense

So I would expect something pretty harsh.

It's pretty ironic that of all NFL teams, the Saints are the ones being charged with morality issues.

That being said, this really doesn't suprise or bother me at all. This stuff has been going on as long as pro football has. I can see the interest in cracking down with the recent concerns over player safety, but nobody on this board was upset when the Skins D was injuring all our opponents the season before last.

It's just the way things are.

People used to duel it out with pistols over a disagreement too. Women used to not be able to vote, and way back when, Americans used to own slaves. Maybe we should allow that as well?

Seriously dude, Time has moved on for the better. Frankly, that this doesn't bother you does not speak well of you as a person IMO. And for the record, I damn well have spoken out against what I felt were bad hits by redskins because I don't want the team I love to be a team of dirty players.

Now, back on the subject at hand... How long before we see a list of players who were injured by the saints during that time? And can you imagine being one of those players and finding out about this? I imagine some people are going to want some serious payback and I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL doesn't contact those players and warn them against it.

As for Brees, I think it's very likely that he just wants out of N.O. knowing the team is going to be crippled by this. Hopefully he will be traded to the browns to replace the draft picks the Saints are going to lose. I want the future. I want RG3.

Looks like GW is done in the NFL, I would bet, the Rams are going to have bigger worries than their #2 pick now

The rams are probably going to have to find another D coordinator which is a setback, but other than that they will be OK.

Hitting someone hard is one thing, but purposely injuring your opponents' skill players is low.

sweep-the-leg.jpg

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 05:44 PM ----------

I think this will be the end of the Saints run for a little while....

good, I'm getting tired of the bandwagon fans

http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/rss.jsp?rssid=153811&item=http://www.washingtonpost.com/Fragment/SysConfig/WebPortal/twpweb/rss/mobile/blog-entry.jpp%3Fid%3D1000.3.3266360697%26wprss%3Dfootball-insider&cid=595

The Washington Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams that was similar to the one revealed by an NFL investigation of the New Orleans Saints, four players who played under Williams said Friday.

------------------------------------------

About Brees' contract, I just saw this on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637479/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-divided-money-first-three-years-sources-say

Supposedly the issue is that the first three years pay him less money.

Still seems like a lot to me, but apparently he wants equal to what Manning is getting.

Well, now we're implicated in this. Fan-****ing-tastic.

How about this, football coaches across America...

Learn to coach with pride. Learn to respect this ****ing game. This is such ****ing bull**** and I'm embarassed as hell that this happened.

Well, now we're implicated in this. Fan-****ing-tastic.

How about this, football coaches across America...

Learn to coach with pride. Learn to respect this ****ing game. This is such ****ing bull**** and I'm embarassed as hell that this happened.

Stop being so wishy-washy and tell us what you think.

And how exactly do YOU know this!!!

Well, players in the past have basically admitted as much. Just today Philip Daniels admitted it.

Or you could just watch how our safeties played under Greg Williams ;p

Actually, maybe this is why Laron poses after first downs. He was just pumped up about his bounty hunting bonuses.

And to Mad Mike, the fact that it doesn't bother me doesn't mean I condone it, only that its bound to happen with such a violent sport in which the outcome is often determined by injury.

I also was trying to point out that many who are "disgusted" by this were bragging about the very same headhunting hits coming from Redskins when GW was here.

But I suppose that's the nature of fandom.

Redskins won't face sanctions for this.

Anyway, Titans were putting bounties on Manning too per LindaCohn so it seems like this was a widespread event. What Goodell has to do is put an end to this nonsense with force. Put his foot down and say no more. As much hate as the commishioner gets, we can all agree that bounties are the wrong way to play the game. They have no place in the NFL.

Archived