Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter twitter: NFL Security investigating The Saints for having a "bounty program" on defense

Oldskool

Shocking stuff, just read this on nfl.com.

Considering that the league don't want you to return kick-offs these days, this kind of practice is going to get nailed.

One or two guys within that organisation, plus GW, are in the deep **** here.

Would anybody be surprised to see Double G Williams suspended from coaching in the NFL for good, for this? He's a big enough name where it will bring attention to it and raise eyebrows, but not so big that it hurts the league in the long run. He's the perfect guy to make an example of. This is going to be a HARSH punishment.

What's even more ****ed up is that it wasn't just the team enticing players with money--the players were pooling there OWN money to then be paid out.

The players should be fined double the value of their bounties

If there are fines, they will be MUCH more than that. The bounties were only $1-1,500 each, and there's no way any individual defender on the Saints injured more than a few players over the last few years. The fines will be more than $3-5,000, I'd bet.

It's pretty ironic that of all NFL teams, the Saints are the ones being charged with morality issues.

That being said, this really doesn't suprise or bother me at all. This stuff has been going on as long as pro football has. I can see the interest in cracking down with the recent concerns over player safety, but nobody on this board was upset when the Skins D was injuring all our opponents the season before last.

It's just the way things are.

I think a Million Dollars, loss of their next draft and the suspension of Williams and Payton is in order.

Clearly that won't happen but it should in my opinion. They tried to injure their own brethren, they also opened that franchise and the NFL up to a bunch of lawsuits. And they unknowingly or knowingly circumvented the cap. Big time punishment is in order.

It's pretty ironic that of all NFL teams, the Saints are the ones being charged with morality issues.

That being said, this really doesn't suprise or bother me at all. This stuff has been going on as long as pro football has. I can see the interest in cracking down with the recent concerns over player safety, but nobody on this board was upset when the Skins D was injuring all our opponents the season before last.

And how exactly do YOU know this!!!

You can bet it will be dealt with much more severely than the patriots cheating scandal. Even though that probably had more of an effect on the integrity of the league. Most of these guys play at 1000 mph anyway a bounty really wouldn't make much difference.

Ding.

George Allen used give out awards and prizes for hits and taking opponents out.

Nothing new here........

I'm ok with it. After all, aggressive play should be rewarded. I'd have no problem if Gregg Williams gave $500.00 to the player who makes the hardest hit each game, even if its the hardest hit on a specific player, if that's what it amounted to. If the bounty was to injure another player, that's different.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 04:30 PM ----------

This is pretty crazy if true. Seems like there should be some serious suspensions resulting from this.

@evansilva

Schefter on NFL Live: "In week of the NFCCG, Jonathan Vilma put $10K on a table & said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'"

Archived