Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Finally saw Avengers: Endgame. B+. Good, satisfying, but not great. Hardly a "masterpiece". The film relies far too much on sentimentality.

I mean what do you need 20 minutes of RDJ reminiscing with his father in 1970 for? Too much of these kind of scenes in the movie.

That said the action scenes (particularly the final battle) were great, and the humor was genuinely funny (to my surprise and delight,

Chris Hemsworth really shines in this one. He's come a long way as an actor). 

Ultimately, a good movie, but it fails to unseat CA: Civll War as Marvel's best.   

• Like 2

I also finally got around to watch Avengers End Game.  I give it a B, and mostly because the final battle sequence was great to see.  Spoilers ahead....

I'll start with what I didn't like.  Full disclosure, I am not a fan of time travel plots.  They always create massive plot holes and and endless supply of questions.  If you like this sort of thing, than you might like the movie more than I did.  The emotional payoffs in this script felt forced.  I didn't like Smart Hulk, at all.  Also, I thought the whole thing with Thor and Valkyrie at the end was nauseating.  Yes, Thor wasn't in a great mental place... but unlike Valkyrie, he didn't fund his drinking habit by selling slaves.  That's not a small mistake that should be be easily forgiven. 

What I did like, was pretty much everything not mentioned above.  Humor was good.  Sound track was good.  Rocket had some good lines.  Black Widow and Hawkeye were great.  Iron man was great.  Maybe too much Captain America in this one but I enjoyed the ending they gave him. The final battle sequence was excellent and, if I'm being honest, that's really what I wanted to get out of this movie. 

If I could change anything, I would have kept the ending closer to the comics and allowed Nebula to be the one that ended Thanos.  Maybe more Captain Marvel and Wanda. 

Was browsing through Netflix last night and ran across this

Image result for netflix bash brothers

It's not really a movie, but more like a short that contains music videos in an order to tell a story, so I'll put it in here.  If you don't know who Lonely Island is look them up (used to be on SNL back in the day). 

So it's a parody about Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire (aka The Smash Brothers), saying they recorded a rap album back then that was never seen.  With their steroid usage being the main topic in the songs/videos.  It's all over the place, makes no sense at times, but is funny as hell (at least to me - but I'm a Lonely Island fan). 

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Finally got around to watching Bohemian Rhapsody. Really enjoyed it. Been a fan o Queen since I was a teen. Especially Brian May.

Great music and story. Didn't really mind the inaccuracies and chronology errors since it was a film not a documentary. Tho it was a rather PG story for such a infamous band. They did seem to cover a lot of the bands success rather well. Left out the Flash Gordon soundtrack which was prolly for the best. Songs they did for Highlander were better anyways.

All in all it was really well done. Ending with their Live Aid performance was really cool. I was only 5 when that happened but still remember a good bit of it. Mike Myers being in it was a nice touch as well.

59 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Godzilla tonight.

Let us know, dawg.  I wanna go see it tomorrow morning but not if it's trash.

Booksmart was pretty damn funny, btw.  Like a Superbad but for Gen Z.  We laughed out loud quite a bit.  Very raunchy and inappropriate, just like Superbad.  Hats off to Olivia Wilde directing.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

The Verdict - (1982, dir. Sidney Lumet) 

One of my all time favorite films, this courtroom drama delivers the goods. Paul Newman plays an ambulance chaser who tries a medical negligence case against the all powerful Catholic Hospital.

James Mason is fantastic here as the big shot corporate lawyer, and Charlotte Rampling plays one mean leading lady. Her words and actions cut so deep I almost changed the channel. Searing, ruthless stuff.

David Mamet’s script is flawless and Lumet’s visual storytelling is sharp as a knife. He is truly one of the masters of cinema. (4/4)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

The Perfection is one ****ed up movie.  It's not scary at all but just one ****ed up movie.  It's worth watching.

Dude..what the ****.  Allison Williams has perfected crazy.  Entertaining movie for sure.  Logan Browning is so pretty...dang.

Spoiler

Man, I thought she waa legit about to wrist Allison at the end.  And that final scene before credits :rofl89:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chew said:

Dude..what the ****.  Allison Williams has perfected crazy.  Entertaining movie for sure.  Logan Browning is so pretty...dang.

Reveal hidden contents

Man, I thought she waa legit about to wrist Allison at the end.  And that final scene before credits :rofl89:

Yeah that chick has crazy eyes for sure.  I thought that in Get Out and even more so after that movie.  She looks like Jake Gyllenhall in The Perfection lol.

And yes, that other chick is nice!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chew said:

Booksmart was pretty damn funny, btw.  Like a Superbad but for Gen Z.  We laughed out loud quite a bit.  Very raunchy and inappropriate, just like Superbad.  Hats off to Olivia Wilde directing.

Welp...let’s focus on the positive.

The effects are absolutely top notch.  The creature design is also spectacular.  Mothra and Rodan, in particular, are not easy to pull off and they nail it.  $200M budget and they spent it wisely.  This is light years ahead of half-ass trash like Justice League or Jurassic World.  

There’s also some fairly clever world-building going on.  Although it’s a lot to digest early on...big info dump for the first 30 minutes or so.

A good percentage of the score is vintage/classic Toho stuff and it works...very strong.

As for the bad?  Look, this is a silly movie.  The script, the casting, the acting...all kinda silly.  A mix of the first film and Pacific Rim but darker.  Temper your expectations.

If you like Godzilla movies, you’ll enjoy yourself.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, clietas said:

Finally got around to watching Bohemian Rhapsody. Really enjoyed it. Been a fan o Queen since I was a teen. Especially Brian May.

Right there is part of the problem with that movie. Focuses almost entirely on Mercury, not enough on May, who was probably the most

important member of that band. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Right there is part of the problem with that movie. Focuses almost entirely on Mercury, not enough on May, who was probably the most

important member of that band. 

Yeah that was kinda disappointing. May, Taylor, n Deacon basically became ancillary characters. I can understand why tho Mercury was one of the greatest frontmen in R&R history. 

• Like 1

Glengarry Glen Ross: A+. Why can't they make movies like this anymore? Possibly the greatest cast ever assembled for a movie: Al Pacino, Jack Lemon, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin, Kevin Spacey, even ancillary characters like Jonathan Pryce (Brazil, GOT) are just awesome. If you haven't seen this movie, what the hell are you waiting for.  

• Like 4

Rush, the 2013 movie made by Ron Howard about James Hunt and Niki Lauda and their rivalry in 70s Formula 1 racing.  I don't even like auto-racing (I do like the characters that are involved, though) but I love this movie.  Paints a great picture of two polar opposites who come to respect each other even though it predictably takes some Hollywood liberties and exaggerations.  Lauda passed away recently, I think that's why I wanted to watch this again.  Chris Hemsworth is great in this, although I don't think he had to stretch himself very far to play Hunt...Daniel Bruhl is fantastic as Lauda.  Gets an A from me.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Welp...let’s focus on the positive.

The effects are absolutely top notch.  The creature design is also spectacular.  Mothra and Rodan, in particular, are not easy to pull off and they nail it.  $200M budget and they spent it wisely.  This is light years ahead of half-ass trash like Justice League or Jurassic World.  

There’s also some fairly clever world-building going on.  Although it’s a lot to digest early on...big info dump for the first 30 minutes or so.

A good percentage of the score is vintage/classic Toho stuff and it works...very strong.

As for the bad?  Look, this is a silly movie.  The script, the casting, the acting...all kinda silly.  A mix of the first film and Pacific Rim but darker.  Temper your expectations.

If you like Godzilla movies, you’ll enjoy yourself.

How is Millie Bobby Brown in this?  She gets a lot of hype for being a prodigy.  I'm not saying she isn't, but I expected her first movie to be some Victorian era drama and not a big silly action movie.  

Then again, I saw Charles Dance was in this, too.  

On 5/30/2019 at 3:06 PM, Chew said:

If you like Godzilla /Kaiju movies you'll love this. If you don't - well maybe maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gonna need to see Deadwood again.  I've rewatched the show steadily over the past ten years, and it needs that kind of savoring to truly appreciate it's depth and artistry.  It's such a singular achievement in screenwriting.  The movie is just as good as the series was, and it concludes the series in a satisfying way.  The fact that Milch wrote a script that good while suffering from Alzheimer's floors me.  And it saddens me.  We're losing a special generation of American masters, born in the late 30s and 40s, who've written some of the greatest works of American letters.  Milch is an authentic genius who fused classic theater and television in a way that elevated the medium to its peak.

I'm amazed by Milch's background and skill.  He's an ivy league credentialed master Shakespeare scholar and scholar of creative writing who also happens to be a master of writing law enforcement drama.  It feels like those should be very disparate worlds.  law enforcement dramas are typically so procedural and quite removed from haute writing and dramatic tradition.  But they come together in Deadwood and produce a transcendent work of art.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

How is Millie Bobby Brown in this?  She gets a lot of hype for being a prodigy.  I'm not saying she isn't, but I expected her first movie to be some Victorian era drama and not a big silly action movie.  

Then again, I saw Charles Dance was in this, too.  

All of the acting is terrible.

• Haha 2

Saw Godzilla: King of Monsters last night.  

It felt like someone strapped me to a chair and visually overloaded me.  Having said that, they used every throwback cliche from the movies you can think of: the lead ship for the counter attack that doesn't work, oldskool fight music towards the end, the stupid device used to control the monsters that backfires.  It felt like an American version of an 70s 80s Godzilla movie, for making my dad cheer and laugh for the flashback memories, I give it an B+.  

I can't give it an A, but I know Kong is going to be weird and they forshadowed Godzilla breaking bad which would mean a MechaGodzilla showdown maybe in the 4th film.  The the good thing about the monsterverse is there was already a plethora of monsters to choose from and they can still make new ones without apologizing.

• Like 1

@Spaceman Spiff I love that movie Rush, my dad used to follow F1 in Europe back in the day and had a few pictures of Nicki Lauda on his film camera. He had some really cool shots, he told me that Hunt was the fan favorite because of his personality  lol. Theirs a new vintage type race movie coming out with Christian Bale and Matt Damon called Ford v Ferrari which looks pretty cool. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, max21 said:

@Spaceman Spiff I love that movie Rush, my dad used to follow F1 in Europe back in the day and had a few pictures of Nicki Lauda on his film camera. He had some really cool shots, he told me that Hunt was the fan favorite because of his personality  lol. Theirs a new vintage type race movie coming out with Christian Bale and Matt Damon called Ford v Ferrari which looks pretty cool. 

Yeah, it's one of those movies I can watch anytime.  Those shots of Lauda might be worth something.

I have heard about that Ford v Ferrari movie, looks like it's coming out in November.  Some pics of Bale and Damon and the movie poster are here:  http://collider.com/ford-v-ferrari-poster-matt-damon-christian-bale/#images

The trailer is supposed to debut today but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Saw Godzilla: King of Monsters, I liked it. Really didn't care much about the actors, I came for Godzilla. I was glad that 

Spoiler

Vera Farmiga's character died at the end. It's her fault the whole damn movie happened.  They should've  her getting eaten by a monster instead of the way she died.

That said, I'll give the next a B+.

Saw Rocketman, the Elton John musical bio.  It was definitely, so Elton. An interesting take on parts of his life. Taron Egerton of Kingsman fame, did a great job as Elton. He even did most of singing of Elton's songs. He was pretty good.  I'll give this a solid B+.

I heard they are doing one of Boy George.