Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm beginning to think we've been scammed...

OrangeSkin

I saw the Carfax and it said it had been sold at auction. He does have a lot, and claims a holdup with the paperwork like twa said. So who knows.

Ok i think you have a couple of options im assuming the title got held up in the auction sale....either wait for the title to get to the dealer u purchased from or return the car to the dealer threaten a lawsuit and try to get your money back.

Thanks for the info...I'm still kind of split on this. Some people seem to think it's an obvious scam, while others seem to think there might be a legit holdup...I'll keep you guys updated, should be some action today.

If it is from a business it is probably just paperwork getting processed

A true scammer could print his own title up w/o much effort that would pass most peoples review

in the words of W....it's just a piece of paper

Hey guys, finally heard back from the seller. He says he has the title in hand and I can come pick it up tonight. I'm still a little dubious just because of the overwhelming fishiness of the whole thing, but with any luck this will be the end of my saga. What freaked me out a bit in the first place was that he told us the title should be ready ASAP, then saying it would be ready on Monday, saying it would be on Wednesday, then pushing it back until I assumed that we'd never get our hands on it. If he'd been up front and said it was going to take a few weeks in the first place it wouldn't have been a big deal. On the other hand, I could end up in a back room with a bag over my head tonight, so who knows.

Hey guys, finally heard back from the seller. He says he has the title in hand and I can come pick it up tonight. I'm still a little dubious just because of the overwhelming fishiness of the whole thing, but with any luck this will be the end of my saga. What freaked me out a bit in the first place was that he told us the title should be ready ASAP, then saying it would be ready on Monday, saying it would be on Wednesday, then pushing it back until I assumed that we'd never get our hands on it. If he'd been up front and said it was going to take a few weeks in the first place it wouldn't have been a big deal. On the other hand, I could end up in a back room with a bag over my head tonight, so who knows.

You sure do got a purty mouth boy. LOL!

Sounds like it will work out fine. Good Luck!

I survived and the title is now in my possession...we really got away with one, I think, but I guess it was just a paperwork delay. Still, next time I'm doing more research. twa, to answer your question, it depends on what you're into.

I'm glad everything worked out for you OS. I'm a fellow Brooklyn skins fan too. I bought a car off Craigslist last year from a private seller, but I got the title right away, one thing I didn't know at the time is they are supposed to keep the plates, so at least for you, you had the 30 day tags. A 30 day tag would have made things a lot easier for me.

I'm glad everything worked out for you OS. I'm a fellow Brooklyn skins fan too. I bought a car off Craigslist last year from a private seller, but I got the title right away, one thing I didn't know at the time is they are supposed to keep the plates, so at least for you, you had the 30 day tags. A 30 day tag would have made things a lot easier for me.

Let me guess. The guy you bought your car from was Eastern European with a barely intelligible accent, looked like he just walked off the set of "Drive," or maybe both. Whereabouts in Brooklyn do you live?

On the other hand, I could end up in a back room with a bag over my head tonight, so who knows.
I survived and the title is now in my possession...we really got away with one, I think, but I guess it was just a paperwork delay. Still, next time I'm doing more research. twa, to answer your question, it depends on what you're into.

:whew: Glad it all worked out for you. For a second there I thought this might end up like the scene from Pulp Fiction.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVktqUO4iNKuNu-vKcXO8uHs-B3hlpd3yodmyHeDUE66XYVnI8eA

duuuuuuuuude. I hope for your sake she never sees this.

She might be secure enough in herself for it not to be a problem,and cognizant of different folk have different tastes.

Still risky .....deleting would be safer :pfft:

I survived and the title is now in my possession...we really got away with one, I think, but I guess it was just a paperwork delay. Still, next time I'm doing more research.

Good to hear. Glad everything worked out & is in order. Like you said, next time, make sure you do things right, do your research first, & make sure there is a title BEFORE money changes hands! Happy you weren't scammed out of your money. That would make me physically ill to think I had been scammed out of $3000. Any money really, but that's a lot of money for me.

Let me guess. The guy you bought your car from was Eastern European with a barely intelligible accent, looked like he just walked off the set of "Drive," or maybe both. Whereabouts in Brooklyn do you live?

Haha no, just some guy that was originally from Seattle. I got a great deal on the car, but it's a pos but runs well, perfect BK car. I'm in Sunset Park now, I was in Williamsburg before I moved to Japan for a bit. Yourself? It's pretty easy to park here in Sunset Park at least.

Just a little fyi,an auction doesn't have to have title by law to sell a vehicle.The dealer is supposed to when they retail a car but the auction doesn't have to. The auction doesn't cash the purchasing dealer's check until the title comes in,what frequently happens is the dealer goes ahead and retails the car and usually will acquire title within 30 days. There are a couple of reasons why the title might not be present at auction. The dealership might be in the process of paying off a lein or the previous owner may have lost the original title and a duplicate is being applied for. Although the dealer isn't supposed to sell the car until he holds title it is one of those things where DMV usually just looks the other way on.I have been a licensed dealer for over 16 years and what transpired in Orange's case isn't really uncommon even with reputable dealers. The guy he bought the car from could not have issued a temp tag if he wasn't licensed or a least using someone else dealer lic.I have to agree with several other posters in their opinion that the 98 Volvo for 3 K was not a great choice.That is a car that Orange may end up putting alot of money in just to keep it on the road,hopefully not.

Archived