Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm beginning to think we've been scammed...

OrangeSkin

Thanks guys, I just have a bad feeling about it, now that I'm reading up (which I obviously should have done beforehand). Any piling on as regards my stupidity is totally warranted. We're just fortunate that we didn't have to spend our food or rent money or anything, if it does come to us losing all of it. I've heard about crap like this happening to people, but never thought it could happen to us. I guess it's a harsh lesson learned...thanks for all your help.

http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/title-transfers.php

Just remember OP. #1 rule of thumb is never give money without a title present. Another good rule is if you know nothing about cars, bring a friend along or a trusty mechanic to check out the car for you to give you the green light.

I agree. I know absolutely zilcho about cars when it comes to buying, so I always make sure to drag someone along with me who does when in search.

Mechanics can smell me coming a mile away & they know as soon as I walk in the shop that I have no clue what's going on. So, when I go in to get my tires rotated, all of a sudden, I'm finding out that some $1500 engine part that wasn't bothering me before is suddenly in critical condition & will most likely drop off before I even leave the shop parking lot. Heck, half the time, they don't even know how I got there.

I don't even go to Jiffy Lube without support anymore. :ols:

The other thing is, even if this seller is on the up & up & he's just dragging his feet, take away from this a lesson learned. NEVER EVER EVER exchange money until you have a title signed by the seller & you. That title IS the car. Without that, all you have is 3000 lb. paperweight.

You guys mentioning he might just be dragging his feet...why would he be doing that? Is there some sort of financial benefit for him to not getting us the title quickly? Is he just lazy? I see no reason why he'd keep pushing it back other than he doesn't actually have a legitimate title. What could possibly be holding this up legitimately? It's been about two weeks.

You guys mentioning he might just be dragging his feet...why would he be doing that? Is there some sort of financial benefit for him to not getting us the title quickly? Is he just lazy? I see no reason why he'd keep pushing it back other than he doesn't actually have a legitimate title.

There's no financial incentive for him to move quickly now that he has the money. Based just on what you've said, it's a little hard to determine who is supposed to have the title. If it is this Mark fellow's car and he has lost the title then he could just be taking his dear sweet time re-applying for a new copy through the DMV. It's this association of his with a dealership that you mentioned that really makes this confusing.

You guys mentioning he might just be dragging his feet...why would he be doing that? Is there some sort of financial benefit for him to not getting us the title quickly? Is he just lazy? I see no reason why he'd keep pushing it back other than he doesn't actually have a legitimate title.

the title could also be held by a bank or lender, which could be causing a delay.

Thanks guys, I just have a bad feeling about it, now that I'm reading up (which I obviously should have done beforehand). Any piling on as regards my stupidity is totally warranted. We're just fortunate that we didn't have to spend our food or rent money or anything, if it does come to us losing all of it. I've heard about crap like this happening to people, but never thought it could happen to us. I guess it's a harsh lesson learned...thanks for all your help.

I was looking for a house to rent down here in Mobile when I first moved here. Looked all over the place & finally decided to check Craig's List. Saw this house in a real nice neighborhood, about 1400 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, big yard, for $500 a month. (That's rather common down here-one of the many reasons I live here now)

The guy writes in an e-mail that he's in Africa away on missionary work, but if I mail him the deposit (which is basically last months rent) to a P.O. Box, he'll mail the key & lease, & then I would send the 1st months rent.

He gave me the address if I wanted to go look at it, but he needed an answer quickly because he had someone else lined up to look at it as well, blah blah blah. I went & looked at it & it was everything he said it was, with one exception. It's not his. It's actually for sale by another owner & is under a realtor. I found this out because I called the realtor, who had a sign in the yard.

According to the realtor, this guy had scammed several thousand dollars out of potential renters & the house was under investigation & couldn't even be sold until they closed the case with this guy, who they had no found yet. I don't ever trust Craig's List.

you should of asked if he had a lein on the car. Typically you want to wait until the seller pays off the lein that way you can get the title right away. You really never want to trust giving the seller the money for the car so he can go payoff his loan because it usually take 1-2 weeks for the seller to receive the title from the leinholder (Bank). Then he would need to give it to you. Obviously this route sucks and can be risky. If the lein was held by a local credit union or bank, you could go to that bank with the seller and payoff the car and they will give you release letter and can noterize the transaction. That way you know its legit.

Good luck man

I was looking for a house to rent down here in Mobile when I first moved here. Looked all over the place & finally decided to check Craig's List. Saw this house in a real nice neighborhood, about 1400 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, big yard, for $500 a month. (That's rather common down here-one of the many reasons I live here now)

The guy writes in an e-mail that he's in Africa away on missionary work, but if I mail him the deposit (which is basically last months rent) to a P.O. Box, he'll mail the key & lease, & then I would send the 1st months rent.

He gave me the address if I wanted to go look at it, but he needed an answer quickly because he had someone else lined up to look at it as well, blah blah blah. I went & looked at it & it was everything he said it was, with one exception. It's not his. It's actually for sale by another owner & is under a realtor. I found this out because I called the realtor, who had a sign in the yard.

According to the realtor, this guy had scammed several thousand dollars out of potential renters & the house was under investigation & couldn't even be sold until they closed the case with this guy, who they had no found yet. I don't ever trust Craig's List.

there is also a very common used car scam about using EBAY Protection agreement when purchasing a car on Craigslist. EBAYs buyer protection is in no way affiliated with Craiglist and the scammer will run off with your money.

i had 3 people try to pull this scam on me. usually on a car that was priced "too good to be true" with a ridiculous reason as to why they need to sell the car immediately (e.g. leaving for military, moving in 2 days, etc).

i was actually thinking about trolling the above mentioned scammers.

I don't ever trust Craig's List.

There's no reason not to trust Craigslist, it's a remarkably useful tool for connecting people buying and selling goods locally. You just have to keep in mind that it is just a tool and that it's people that you can't completely trust. Let's be honest, here, even if you're walking in to a reputable dealership to buy a car you still have to be very much on your toes.

I have a car I will sell you.

Well, if we're going the route of turning this thread into a car classified I also have a car I will sell you (no, really). :ols:

That sucks. Rule #1: Never trust anyone that is in "Africa" and needs money mailed or sent by Western Union.

I wouldnt worry tooooo much then again the whole scenario is fish...did you see in the carfax if the car was sold at an auction?? a lot of times when a car is sold at the auction and the title is not physically present, the selling dealer has 30 days to or some odd time before they have to furnish it. If he is a a dealer with a lot and u see he has other cars i wouldnt worry too hard but you shouldnt have gave him the money without the title, im sure he will give you the title as soon as he receives it.

yeah, not that unusual with people that move cars,though certainly not the best way to do business

he possibly filed for a title under a mechanics lien ect,and flipped it before the paperwork was processed.

the lack of a reply is more troubling

Best day of your life pal.

In any of the 50 United States, it is 100% illegal, to sell your car until they have a clean title in hand, with the states vehicle department conformation of ownership transfer.

Sounds like they didnt have the title to the car you purchased?

You pay cas or credit card?

Oh, and take that car back to the dealership right away.

Ill help you man. This is what I do. PM me tomororw, lets meet up and handle some business.

I wouldnt worry tooooo much then again the whole scenario is fish...did you see in the carfax if the car was sold at an auction?? a lot of times when a car is sold at the auction and the title is not physically present, the selling dealer has 30 days to or some odd time before they have to furnish it. If he is a a dealer with a lot and u see he has other cars i wouldnt worry too hard but you shouldnt have gave him the money without the title, im sure he will give you the title as soon as he receives it.

I saw the Carfax and it said it had been sold at auction. He does have a lot, and claims a holdup with the paperwork like twa said. So who knows.

Which is why you became a victim. I can happen to you, and likely did happen to you. I hope it works out for you.

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

In any of the 50 United States, it is 100% illegal, to sell your car until they have a clean title in hand, with the states vehicle department conformation of ownership transfer.

Ill help you man. This is what I do. PM me tomororw, lets meet up and handle some business.

Props to you if you help this guy out.

That really sucks man. Hopefully it works out for u but.......$3000 for a '98? That seems like a lot of money for a car thats almost 15 years old..

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 08:22 AM ----------

This is why you have to love ES. Hopefully you can help this guy

Just relax. It almost always takes more than 2 weeks to get a title back from the dmv. He has to mail it to them (if he went that route) then they process it and mail it back..it always takes me near a month to do this..

He's probably stalling you because he doesn't have the title back from the DMV yet.

Just relax. It almost always takes more than 2 weeks to get a title back from the dmv. He has to mail it to them (if he went that route) then they process it and mail it back..it always takes me near a month to do this..

He's probably stalling you because he doesn't have the title back from the DMV yet.

Thanks for the info...I'm still kind of split on this. Some people seem to think it's an obvious scam, while others seem to think there might be a legit holdup...I'll keep you guys updated, should be some action today.

Orange, I mean no disrespect...

However, are you out of your mind? You and your fiancee, both, paid cash for a car that had no title? Didn't any inkling of "uhh" cross your mind? Listen, all of us that have ever been in relationships know that sometimes the woman is in control, but this is one of those situations where you probably should have explained that buying a car without a title is not smart. I'm not sure how neither one of you had that bad feeling about this.

But, this is how you learn. From making mistakes. $3k is a lot of bread, but at least it wasn't 4 :)

Last year I bought a travel trailer from Craigslist. I inquired about 1 first, it was a military guy who supposedly was being shipped out the next week and the trailer was in MD. We had an email exchange but it seemed "funny" to me, so I told him so and broke off communication. I found another one, went to see it the next day, saw a clean title and bought it the same day with a deposit. Paid in full the next day and went to DMV and got my tags and title.

I also sold a car on Craigslist, showed the buyer my clean title.

I use CL a lot and have had success, but one must be wary and on guard and use common sense.

Hope you get your title and everything works out!

Archived